Introducing Me!

(deactivated member)
on 4/26/16 8:06 am

Hello, all! I am a 24 year old female. I am not sure if I qualify as a "lightweight," as my BMI is around 44, but I am 5'3" with a fairly proportionate weight distribution and high muscle mass, so I am heavier than I appear to be. I am a former chubby child/high school athlete who lost weight using starvation and sports in my teens and then gained the majority of my current weight in college. After having lost and gained repeatedly for several years, and spending 5+ years overweight/obese, I am ready to say goodbye to the extra weight I am carrying around, literally.

I have a consultation with a surgeon on May 9th, and have already attended a group introductory session. I believe that if approved for surgery, I will elect to go with the gastric bypass, and would love some feedback on that (is this a crazy choice given my relatively "small" amount to lose?" (about 100 lbs. to my goal weight). I am also nervous about my insurance approving me, as I am young and not sick or unhealthy aside from my weight. Additionally, although I have made weight loss attempts, they were not "formally" recorded by my doctor. How can I deal with this when working with my insurance? Any advice would be so appreciated! Thank you so much for reading, and I hope everyone is having a lovely day! 

-A 

lykapal
on 4/26/16 10:04 am
RNY on 05/16/16

Hey there! 

Like you, I have a relatively small amount of weight to lose (75lbs), but I have a similar build and weight history/experiences. People often don't believe me when I say I'm morbidly obese because it's so evenly distributed.

I didn't go through my primary care doc for the many, many times I dieted and lost weight - then regained it all back +5. BUT! She is completely supportive and knows how much I've struggled and she wrote me a nice letter of support.

My final dietitian appointment is this Friday, so I can't give you any advice, but you're not alone.  :) 

I am worried about the weight history too, so I plan to write out a detailed letter to my insurance company listing all of the documentable weight loss attempts I've made on my own, and I plan to include receipts for purchases of hCG and list the times my primary care doc gave me phentermine in the last year. I'm hoping that since I've been in a constant state of "diet" it won't keep me from being approved. I guess I'll let you know how that goes in a couple of weeks! LOL

Anyway! Good luck, and welcome.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/16 6:37 am

Hello there! Thanks for replying to my post! It sounds like we both have some fears about the dieting history. I feel like it's a little silly for a chronically, lifelong overweight person to have to document any efforts, because all I have done is made efforts. I just didn't think to document all of it, you know?? How have your meetings with the dietician gone so far? 

lykapal
on 4/29/16 8:07 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I actually just left my third and final dietitian appointment. She's very happy with my progress. I wasn't given any amount of weight to lose, they just wanted me to follow the plan and make minor changes. I had to eliminate coffee and tea, increase veggie and fruit intake and stop drinking with and after meals. All of which I've done. She loves that I'm a planner and track meticulously. 

Today I met with the scheduling ladies in the front office and they are submitting my paperwork for approval today! Ugh. This is the worst part for me. Up until now I've known exactly what I needed to do. Now I just have to wait. It's all out of my hands for now. 

Lord help me. 

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Price S.
on 4/26/16 2:13 pm - Mills River, NC

Welcome  .  Your WLS office will know exactly what it takes for your insurance to get you through.  And they do most of it.  You may have to do a 6 month documented "diet" with them or your PCP but not all insurances require it.  You should be fine with your BMI over 40. 

You will get a lot of "you aren't big enough".  We all did or do.  But you and your dr know what is best.  I wish I had my surgery sooner, before all the big issues come up.

So stay in touch and let us know how you are progressing.  No question is dumb unless you don't ask it.  We love newbees!!!

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/16 6:35 am

Hi there! Thanks so much for the reply. I am hoping I will learn more from my weight loss surgeon (bariatric surgeon?) next week when I meet with him 1:!. I feel like I am drowning in all of the initial paperwork. I am definitely excited to possibly have this now at 24 before I have any health issues related to my weight. My PCP definitely thinks I should move forward with this, and she has documented evidence of our conversations for months at a time. So we shall see. Thanks so much for the support. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/27/16 5:12 am

My BMI was 41... I was self pay, insurance did not cover WLS. 

I lost 110 lbs and I maintained 80-90 lbs loss. I have big frame and muscles, so even with BMI of 26-27, my body fat % is rather low for someone my age.(50+) 

100lbs is about right amount of weight to lose ...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/16 6:33 am

Wow, good for you on the 80-90 maintained loss! That is something to be so proud of. Can't believe you had to self-pay; I am so scared I will have to do that. I think I will have a low body fat % too, due to the amount of muscle I have. Nice to hear from another big-framed person!! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/29/16 6:50 am

As we lose weight - some muscle loss is expected. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jenna77
on 4/27/16 2:02 pm
VSG on 02/25/15

Some insurances require a 6 month documented weight loss attempt through your PCP. That is 6 consecutive months. I had the gastric sleeve and love it, but a lot of the other ladies on the board had the bypass or DS. A lot of people don't realize that 100 extra pounds is a lot on someone who is shorter! I am 5'1 so I feel your pain on being short and dealing with obesity. Surgery was the best decision I have ever made! 

5'1 Consult: 227 HW: 232 SW:212 CW:131 GW: 120 Pant size start: 18/20 Current: size 6/8

M1: 195 (-17) M2: 184.6 (-10.4) M3: 176.6 (-8) M4: 168.2 (-8.4) M5: 160 (-8.2) M6: 155.4 (-4.6) M7: 145.6 (-9.8) M8: 141 (-4.6) M9: 137 (-4) M10: 135.8 (-1.2) M11: 135 (-.8) M12: 131 (-4) M13: (-0) M14: (-0) M15: (-0) 

Have stopped losing pounds but am losing inches! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 494 views