Update!

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/16 8:20 am

Hello, lovely people of OH Forums! Just wanted to a give a little update - not sure *****ads these posts so I'm also kind of writing this to get my own thoughts out and organize them! Since my last post I have met with my surgeon to discuss surgery options, etc. (going with the bypass as opposed to sleeve), my goals (to be around 150; he thinks I'll get to 160 even doing the bare minimum). He told me thinks I am a great candidate for surgery, and that insurance should approve me no problem (fingers crossed!).

The next step is hopefully getting into the meeting this Friday, but there is a waiting list. I might just show up and hope that there is an empty seat. Then after that I have a meeting with my PCP to do another month of our dietary tracking that insurance requires (we already did April and May). Then another group meeting in June (or June & July if I can't go to the one this Friday). Then nutritionist meeting, endoscopy, and meeting the surgeon again - then pre-approval from insurance, then scheduling the surgery!

SOOOO my hope is to have this done by August. I am not sure how I'll recover - I have heard about 2 weeks? But luckily I have no summer plans as of now and will likely not make any to work for the summer so I can rest and recover after the bypass. I am still feeling overwhelmed by all of the paperwork and appointments but trying to take it one day at a time. I also still need to talk to my my significant other about this, but I am so worried about his reaction that I haven't figured out how to tell him yet. Any advice on how to approach the topic with him?

Hope everyone is doing well! 

lykapal
on 5/10/16 9:16 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I hope this helps a little.

My husband saw the pain I was in from my hips and lower back, so he has supported me through this entire process. But he was really worried about me.  This is not just a physically challenging process but a mental challenge as well.  So he really worried about me. I showed him all of the research that I did, showed him the pros and cons of the option I selected (RNY) and why it's safe. After showing him all of that data he was 100% behind me and my decision. We just had a really long talk and he's on board now. Maybe he doesn't fully understand, but definitely accepts and supports me. I know it's scary for them because they don't' want to lose us, or see us hurting, just show him that it's going to be best for you. 

I would stress with him the difference of being overweight and unhealthy as opposed to being the correct weight and healthy and what that will mean for the both of you.  Share with him the symptoms of yo-yo dieting and how that wrecks havoc on your heart. I say that you should discuss what really matters in this weight loss battle and not so much about the surgery as an isolated matter. 

As for the process, relax and try to make the adjustments to your way of eating post-op. Practice eating without drinking, take smaller bites and chew longer, start taking some quality vitamins so you're body is healthier and stronger going into surgery. (No eating and drinking together was honestly the hardest part for me pre-op.)

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/16 9:39 am, edited 5/10/16 2:38 am

Thank you so much, it really was helpful! I will emphasize to him that I am doing it for health and not for appearances, since I know he loves the way I look now - he likes "bigger" girls so I know me shedding pounds will be a tough adjustment. But it will improve our relationship in so many ways, like you said, and I'll be happier and more able to do fun things like bike rides, walking long trails, hiking, etc. Right now we jus****ch a lot of TV and eat together. I think it will also be challenging for us not to revolve our love life around eating, so that is something I need to prepare him for.

I will definitely start making those small lifestyle changes to prepare for surgery - workign on the 10 lb. pre-op required loss right now, and already down 5 lbs., but could lose another 15 and still qualify for surgery. Thanks so much for your input! 

sheriberi29
on 5/13/16 1:14 pm - Cleveland, TN

I'm 10 days out and day 1-2 were a little rough .... By day 4 I went off all pain meds and could have gone back to work by day 7.... I just keep getting a little tired around 2 pm but I just rest when I can . You'll do great. And my husband told me that he couldn't believe I was having a cosmetic procedure ..... Right before I educated him!!!

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Roz !!!!
on 5/21/16 5:05 am - Butler, PA

I've been thinking about you.  Have you told your boyfriend yet? 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/16 9:38 am

Hi there....thanks for thinking of me. I have not told him yet; he lives overseas and we have to travel back and forth to see each other. He is coming over to the States in 10 days so I plan to tell him then. I have a group meeting while he is here so I definitely need to tell him before that. Please wish me luck! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views