My Pre-op Experience.

lykapal
on 5/11/16 5:00 am
RNY on 05/16/16

So, today is my pre-op appointment with the surgeon and then a mandatory 2 hour pre-op education class. I decided that I'd also throw in a last minute pre-op with the psychologist, because I'm feeling all sorts of things. What the heck, it's only another hour, huh? LOL! I think having some extra tools or tips to deal with what I'm about to be subjected to is a good idea. I read all kinds of posts on here like "Help, I'm 10 days post op, should I be feeling this way", and it worries me. I don't know what to expect after Monday, so I'm trying to get as prepared as possible. I just finished listing out all of the medications and supplements I take, and I gotta tell ya. Wow. I take so many pills -- I can't believe it. I hope that list dwindles to just vitamins afterwards, but we'll see! I'm going to stay hopeful. :)

Since I'll be there all day, basically, I thought I'd put this out there and check in later between appointments. Does anyone have any good questions for me to ask, things that may not have occurred to me to ask? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks everyone, have a great day!

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Roz !!!!
on 5/11/16 10:48 am - Butler, PA

My Psychologist appt. was mandatory. He just wanted to be assured that this was my decision and no one was forcing me into it. 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lykapal
on 5/11/16 2:19 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I had the mandatory psychologist appt back in January. She cleared me for surgery already, I'm just feeling emotional about the pressures I put on myself to succeed. I figured talking things through before surgery would be smarter than waiting until I'm sliced and diced and drugged up. I really want my recovery to go smoothly, and clearing out my emotional baggage seemed like the right thing to do. She was surprised to see me back on the schedule. Luckily she gave me some good ideas on how to handle my own negative feelings about success and failure with food. A few books and blogs to read too. 

Otherwise, it was just a nice chat with a nice lady who cares about my health and recovery. I'm glad I went.  

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Roz !!!!
on 5/12/16 6:36 am - Butler, PA

You are right it is best to find someone who is professional and compassionate if you have feelings that you need to talk about. 

Before surgery I didn't have a worry in the world but afterwards I was an emotional mess when I went to my 1 week appt.  and my surgeon just didn't understand it. It took me a good month to get back to feeling normal. I wish I would have known someone I could turn too.  Now you have an option.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...