Lapband failed me now I want a revision to Gastric Bypass

Deirdre1472
on 7/26/16 8:08 am

Hi everyone!!!  I've been browsing this board for support and encouragement.  Here's my story its a little loooonnng, please give me your thoughts.......

I'm 5'1 and currently 191....186 on a good day, with a lap band that causes more pain than it has ever benefited me.  My goal would be to be somewhere from 125-135.  I'm 44 years old and I just want to feel good and look good.  I have no comorbidities but I do have chronic migraines, reflux, and excessive swelling in my legs and feet.  I take medication every night to prevent migraines and 100 mg twice a day of Spironolactone to control the swelling in my feet.  Sometimes the Spironolactone helps most times it doesn't.  I watch what I eat, I choose low sodium options, and I exercise.  With all of that I still cannot manage to lose weight.  So recently I've given up.  

I was 191 when I was banded December 2011 (self pay).  Once I was healed I eat a low carb diet, high in protein.  I worked out with a trainer 3 times a week and worked out alone 3 days a week for a total of 6 days a week.  I took Sunday's off.  I did this from January until May 2012.  By the end of January I was 183 lbs.  I went to the doctor and got a fill then  I went to the diet doctor and got some Adipex (surely this will speed up the process) by May I was 176 pounds.  I whooping 15lbs weight loss.    I kept working out and managing my diet, still no significant weight loss but an increase of vomiting.  

In May 2012 I moved from Tennessee to Alabama.  I found a new doctor in Alabama.  In October of 2012, I got another fill certainly this will help. By February I lost 6lbs with diet and twice a day exercise.  I felt better but still discouraged.  Late May 2013 I found a new diet pill that had all the answers!!!   I began taking Oxyelite Pro and doing Hot Yoga 5 days a week.  That combination of diet, diet pills, and hot yoga I reached my lowest weight of 157 lbs and I did it in a month.  I was vomiting almost every meal, jittering from the diet pills but the Yoga made me feel great.  Then Oxyelite Pro was recalled and taken off the market, yoga became too expensive and inconvenient once my son started school in the fall and before you know it I'm 170 again.   I found out in October of 2013, I had a fibroid growing out of control and I would need a hysterectomy.  I became so exhausted, little energy, back aches, and dizziness.  March 2014 I had the hysterectomy.  By the time I had surgery I was 175.  I began exercising after my 6 weeks recovery period, I went to Hot Yoga a few times but I could tell my insides weren't completely healed so I stopped going.  But I'd lost 5 lbs.  My doctor's office provided a Serotonin Weight loss program that I joined.  It was very costly but I wanted to give it a shot.  I began taking the pills whi*****luded Adipex and eating according to the meal plan. I was working out and walking 5 miles 6 days a week. Everything was going great at least I thought, I lost 8 lbs, I was 162.  The ladies in the clinic said I should have lost more by then but I was doing everything and the weight slowly came off.  I became very discouraged.  I stopped taking the pills but continued the eating and exercise program and the pounds crept back.  I was up to 173.    

For the past 2 years I've been up and down between 165 and 172.  I was waking up at 4:30am to workout before work then come home and walk for an hour and a half.  I worked out like this from February to the end of April.  I was making a Green Smoothies every morning made with spinach, kale, pineapples, mango, flaxseed, and protein powder.  Then at the end of April I had a cluster of migraines that lasted for 3 weeks.  I couldn't work out.  I scheduled an appointment with my Neurologist to my surprise I stepped on the scale and I was 186lbs.   FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!  I was throwing up every other day and have been for 5 years, can't lose nor maintain weight,  my port  hurts and feels gasey all the time so I went back to my lap band doctor.  

I told him what I've been experiencing so I did the test where I drink the yucky stuff and they follow it going down.  We found out the band is too tight.  At this point I'm done, I told the doctor to remove everything out of the band.  He suggested having a revision to VSG or Gastric Bypass.  Last week the doctor's office submitted to the insurance company for approval.  The band has not slipped nor corroded which is a requirement to have the band removed per Alabama BCBS.  Hopefully I will hear something this week or next week. More than anything I want the band OUT!!!!!!!!  It has been more pain than it is worth!!!!!  

I would LOVE to have a revision to Gastric Bypass. The doctor is including a letter in my submission to state how much I've been vomiting, reflux, aspirating food, and the port pain.  

Please provide any thoughts or suggestions and ways to help.

Thank you!!! 

Jenna77
on 7/26/16 11:08 am
VSG on 02/25/15

First of all, you have been through a lot! I wish I could say I had tons of advice, but I don't. I was just replying to say that I also suffer or rather suffered from migraines. I couldn't get them to stop, i tried countless medicines and even had botox injections. Anyways, I had the gastric sleeve done and since surgery almost 2 years ago I have had maybe 10 migraines and really that's a stretch, I went from having at least 5 a week to almost none. I really think it had to do with something I was consuming. I realize that this has virtually nothing to do with your post, I just wanted to tell you my experience with migraines and the sleeve, which is the best decision I ever made. 

I am hoping that you get the answers you are looking for, I cannot imagine all the vomiting you have experienced! I would say for right now start trying to focus on lower carbs and high protein. Cut out all sodas and start counting everything you put in your mouth. Drink lots of water but not with your meals, wait at least 30 minutes. This is just to help you get ready for life after a revision. It might be a good idea to see exactly what you are consuming every day. Years of dieting can wreck havoc on your metabolism. Unfortunately, it's something we all suffer and learn from. 

Hopefully some of the others have some advice!! 

Good luck!!!

5'1 Consult: 227 HW: 232 SW:212 CW:131 GW: 120 Pant size start: 18/20 Current: size 6/8

M1: 195 (-17) M2: 184.6 (-10.4) M3: 176.6 (-8) M4: 168.2 (-8.4) M5: 160 (-8.2) M6: 155.4 (-4.6) M7: 145.6 (-9.8) M8: 141 (-4.6) M9: 137 (-4) M10: 135.8 (-1.2) M11: 135 (-.8) M12: 131 (-4) M13: (-0) M14: (-0) M15: (-0) 

Have stopped losing pounds but am losing inches! 

Deirdre1472
on 7/26/16 11:35 am

Thank you for reading my long post and responding.  I'm sure we can have a long conversations about migraines.  They are a forever thorn in my side.  Its good to hear that your migraines have lessened since have WLS, that gives me hope too.  I will take your advice and start living like I've had the revision.  I'm not a soda drinker, I prefer to drink water over anything else.  I spoke with my doctor's office and my application is still pending with AL BCBS.  I'm crossing my fingers for an approval.

Thanks you!!!!

Roz !!!!
on 7/27/16 1:55 pm - Butler, PA

WOW you have been through a lot!!!!   I hope you get your insurance approval!  LOVE my Gastric Bypass!!  The only times I've thrown up is when I took too big of a bite so might experience that until you figure out what works for you.  That's great you prefer water...boy I wish I did.

My legs and ankles have always swelled and having WLS hasn't changed that but I hope it improves for you.

Keep us updated!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Deirdre1472
on 7/27/16 2:23 pm

Thank you so much for your encouragement!  I hope to love my Gastric Bypass too!!  I'm sitting impatiently waiting  on a response from the insurance company.  

Is there a reason for your leg swelling?  

Price S.
on 7/28/16 10:53 am - Mills River, NC

I know bands work for some folks but it seems like they cause more problems than good.  I hope you are approved.  When I had my RNY, my only choices were that or a band.  My insurance won't approve anything else.  I went with RNY and have been nothing but happy.  I wish you well.  You certainly deserve it after all this.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

sheriberi29
on 7/29/16 4:19 am - Cleveland, TN

I just wanted to offer up some hope, your story sounds a lot like mine. Banded for 6.5 years until my band began giving me trouble . No slip or erosion but intolerance to it causing misery!!! I was denied by my insurance 3 times and would not back down. Finally got an approval and had my band removed may 3 and revised to end the same day. Instant relief from my band problems. All of them were gone immediately. I can eat so much healthier and nothing hurts anymore. No more looking for a bathroom to see where I'll go puke while eating . I will tell you that my stats and weight look a lot like yours. 5'2 weight varying from 170-198 when I had my revision I weighed in at 198 and I'm close to my 3 month mark and down to 172. I have  been losing extremely slowly.... But I can't eat so good. I make good food choices and keep my carbs under 50 calories under 1000 but it is a lot different than being a brand new rny patient for me ! I don't get the full feeling nearly as soon as others and have had to learn that I have to be strong since I used to rely so heavily on restriction . It's worth it and I hope you are persistent ! 

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

sheriberi29
on 7/29/16 4:20 am - Cleveland, TN

I meant to say I CAN eat so good with no troubles at all

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Deirdre1472
on 7/29/16 7:32 am

Thank you for your encouragement.  I'm nervous about the insurance company.  I applied last Monday and haven't heard anything back as of yet.  Why did they keep denying you?  What made them eventually approve you?  If you don't mind sharing.  I'm just trying to prepare myself for what I'm sure will be a bumpy ride.  

I know the looking for the bathroom to go puke all too well.  I've had some embarrassing moments with the puking.  I'm glad to read that you are doing well and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Keep up the good work.  You'll do fine!!!! 

sheriberi29
on 7/29/16 7:59 am - Cleveland, TN

My insurance policy covered revisions if there was a medical or surgical complication. My egd showed ulceration of my esophagus , stomach and polyps . My first denial came saying not enough proof of medical complications and no surgical complications . My gastroenterologist wrote an appeal saying that my problems were because of the lap band. My second denial said that I had no proof of diet re education or diet counseling .... Well no I had not but that was not a requirement nor would it have helped anything as I was completely unable to get down anything I was supposed to be eating like healthy food . So I contacted lindstrom obesity advocates and she knew I had a case, I was going to use them but gave it one last shot. I contacted the department of labor and reported that my insurance company was denying me for reasons that were not stated in my policy as required. She made a phone call to my insurance company and requested / demanded a copy of my exact policy as well as their reasons for my denial. I was contacted less than a week later by my insurance saying I was approved . 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 277 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 402 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views