Joining the Lightweights gang....

Kazzy2
on 11/15/16 12:31 am

Hi all,

I am struggling to fit in a little being a lightweight I feel embarrassed to ask questions on other forums as I feel like people don't think our surgery is necessary even though our struggle is as real and the same as theirs.  I think being a short person too people lose the perspective of how much is heavy for someone at 5 foot vs 6 foot... 

I had lapband surgery back in 2007 which ended up with a total regain and issues that resulted in me having a revision in July 16.  I had only ever lost 19kg in total of the 30+ kilos I wanted to lose before I started having issues.  I started my revision journey at a higher weight than when I started lapband journey.  Glad to say that the Bypass went well and I am on the losing streak again....

In 16 weeks I have lost almost as much as I ever did with the lapband (which took 28 weeks with lapband).  

My question is, I am coming up 4 months post-op on 19th Nov.  So far I have lost 16kg.  10kg month 1 (22lbs) but since that I am averaging only 2 kgs per month (yes 4 -5 lbs!) maybe I am just the turtle that loses slowly!  Overall I am really happy to be down 16kg but trying to get perspective on if that is acceptable loss.... It feels small!  

I have lost just over 50% of my total weight to get to my goal, of 55kg.  I am having weeks where I lose nothing for 2 weeks then drop a couple of kilos.  

I suppose i just wanted to hear from other lightweights, how long it took you to get to goal and if your monthly loss was on the lower end like mine, I suppose being lightweights we cannot expect big numbers... but 4lbs!  

I am loving the clothes shopping now, and buy things if they look good rather than just something that will fit, thats a great feeling.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who wants to share their story.  I will take some time to read through the board now too.

Thanks all!

Karen

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/15/16 2:49 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

From what I read on OH, each person loses at a different pace depending on metabolism, calorie intake, activity, and starting weight.  I lost quicker than I expected but my calories were really low in the first couple of months (struggled to get 400-500).  I also lost 1/3 of my weight pre-op over about a 4 month period.  My stats on loss are in my signature.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Kazzy2
on 11/15/16 11:17 pm

Hi Liz

Thanks for your message, agreed we are all different and will lose at different rates, I know reading through the forums it looks like most people get to goal even if there are stalls and slow patches along the way, I think having had lapband with limited success and regain I am being a bit doubting diva!  I know in my mind if I stick to plan it will happen for me too, but yes so right I am wanting and wishing to be further on.... But know in my heart it is the passing time that is going to get me to goal, which will make it all the more worthwhile and give my skin and head time to catch up with my body!

I think my calories are much higher - I need to fact check here as maybe this is hindering, will go back to using myfitnesspal to get an idea on what I am really eating in a day... I was only 400 - 500 first month or so and had great losses then.  

Thanks for taking the time to reply :0)  Will keep in touch!

MajorMom
on 11/15/16 3:20 pm - VA

Welcome aboard and congratulations on making a tough decision.
It took me 11 months to lose 72 pounds. The first month was something like 20 pounds, then a couple or three months where I lost 10 pounds then, a few at 5 pounds and then a few where it was only a pound or so. Hang in there and be patient with yourself.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Kazzy2
on 11/15/16 11:23 pm

Hi Gina

Thanks for your message also, it is really helpful to get an idea (not that we are the same) but how long others have taken to get to goal (in general not just as lightweights)... And to see if I am trekking along ok.  

I go to see my Nutritionist on Monday and then the clinic nurse and psychologist next Friday so I am looking forward to those appointments (4 months) as have not seen anyone since week 6 - I think this will really help me refocus too and raise any questions.

I figure if I can manage to lose 2 kilo per month, that is another 7 months to get to goal putting me at 11 months too, probably a very realistic expectation and good for the skin to adjust at that rate too.

Thanks again for replying :0)

Karen

NZ - the land of earthquakes right now.....

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views