Weight loss rate

tvlbunny
on 2/17/17 6:05 pm
RNY on 12/07/16

I revised from lapband to RNY on December 7, 2016 at my highest weight of 208.  I've lost 33 pounds to date, which is about 49% loss of my excess weight.  I met with the doc today and he said to not to expect more than 4-5 pounds a month from here on out.  Not that I won't be happy with that, but of course I would like more, especially with eating 600 calories per day.  For you lightweights, how long did it take you to lose the last 35 - 40 pounds?

lykapal
on 2/17/17 6:22 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm not the right person to answer, because I didn't have a revision. But - I can share my experience as a lightweight.

I can tell you that I had about 70-75 pounds to lose and I've lost 65 of them in 9 months. It has really slowed down, but I'm okay with it. I'm still learning to use my pouch and it's still learning how to do it's job. 

Also, I stalled around month 3 ( I think )  because I was too active to be eating so few calories.  At first I wasn't sure eating more was right for me, but my body was clearly struggling. I was too tired to make it through the day without a couple of naps, and I was dizzy and nauseous all the time. I'm still losing at 1000 cals a day.

I think 4-5 pounds a month beyond the 6 month mark was about what I was experiencing.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Roz !!!!
on 2/18/17 5:49 am - Butler, PA

I'm soooo glad you posted!!!!   I don't know much about a revision either but from past posters I don't think switching from the band to RNY slowed them down like switching from one of the other major WLS. 

I lost the majority of my weight within the first 8 months and then it slowed down.  I hope you took your measurements, if not take them now.  The times my scales didn't move were the months I lost the most inches.  Sounds Strange but that's the norm.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

tvlbunny
on 2/18/17 9:11 am
RNY on 12/07/16

Thank you ladies!  Can you both give me an idea of how many calories you ate in weight loss phase, what you ate and what your activity level looked like?  I had one week where I increased my calories, mostly because I just wanted more food that week, and I lost almost 4 pounds that week.  I'm still not sure if it was the higher calories for why I had a good loss that week, or because it just finally caught up with me.  

lykapal
on 2/18/17 12:52 pm
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm still in weight loss phase. I'm only 9 months post-op, so I'm expecting to continue to lose "easily" for the first 12-15 months. I won't go into maintenance until I'm at goal, which for me is 105. I'd like to hold steady at 105 until 18 months post-op. Then when rebound/regain happens I can try to maintain it easier.

Basically, I had to increase my calories between months 3 and 4 because I was just too weak and way more active than my calories could keep up with. My surgeon's team expected me to consume 1000 cals a day from week 4 post-op. I couldn't manage that much, and since I'm smaller than the average WL patient they gave me some leeway. I stayed at 700-800 cals until I started feeling crappy. That happened to be when the effects of surgery were finally wearing off and I was back to my normal routine:

I don't work out in the traditional sense because I simply don't have the time. Literally. I'm up at 5:30am every day and on the go until about 10pm every night. I babysit my 15 month old grandson while my daughter is in school from 7a-4p and the days she works I have him from 7a-10p. I get the three older grandsons up at 5:45, make them breakfast, get them dressed, make them lunches, get snacks and water bottles filled and get them out the door by 6:20a. Then I sit and have coffee until the baby wakes up around 7a. He naps around 11a and that's when I do kitchen stuff. Plan dinner for everyone, clean up anything from the night before, etc. He takes his next nap around 2p and the older boys get home around 2:40p. I get their homework settled, sign paperwork and if necessary take them to appointments they might have. After school stuff is taken care of, I get laundry and housework done for as long as the little one sleeps. Since both of my daughters are in school and/or working 7 days a week, I don't get days off. And I certainly don't get time to myself for exercise. LOL By 4p I'm cooking or planning the evening meal for 4 picky boys and trying to maintain the little bit of housework I managed to get done!!  Hubby gets home and helps out with the baby around 6:30p and they all have dinner and I feed the little one unless his mama is home. He usually wants me to do it even when she's home though. 

I pretty much do everything for 8 people, every day. (My hubby does some of his own laundry occasionally, it helps)

I went back and read this and saw that if I really wanted to, I could work out at 6:30 in the morning. I won't -- but I probably could, LMAO.

Anyway, the dietician at my office heard about my daily life and convinced me that I need at least 1000 cals, some days more. So even though I don't work out in the traditional sense, I am plenty active. Oh and PS, you should see the muscles on my arms from lugging around a 30 lb toddler for 15 hours a day. Hahah.

As for what I eat. Hmm, I mostly eat meat, eggs, dairy and the occasional carb. I don't really eat veggies or fruit on a daily basis. And I still eat mostly soft foods, meaning I don't eat much raw fresh stuff. I will have 5 or 6 sweet potato fries with a bunless burgers. If I make spaghetti for dinner and I get a few noodles on my plate, I don't pick them back out. I try to eat just the meat sauce but won't freak out if I eat a few noodles. I'll have a tablespoon of mashed potatoes with meatloaf if I made them, but if I make mac n cheese, I leave it off my plate, I'm not a person who can be happy with a completely strict diet. I don't believe in deprivation, it just doesn't work for me.

As for your big loss, I think that changing things up will trick your body into releasing extra fat sometimes. When you stay very strict for a very long time your body holds onto all of it's resources. By adding some extra fuel, it was able to get rid of some unnecessary fat. At least that's what I tell myself when it happens for me ;)

I think I've given you more info than you wanted, so I'll stop here. If you have any questions or just need some advice or a shoulder to cry on, we're all here. We've all been there.

49/F 4' 11" Highest Wt. 183.8--Surgery Wt. 173.0--Current Wt. 115.2--Goal Wt. 115.0

Roz !!!!
on 2/21/17 7:22 am, edited 2/20/17 11:27 pm - Butler, PA

In the beginning it was hard to get any food in.  I ate a lot of cheese spread on Saltines, soups, etc.  I averaged around 400-500 at the beginning, increased (with Protein) to about 700 around month 4 and then upped my Protein drinks at month 8 after I was at "my" desired goal weight and then I started losing again. 

I never upped my calories with food unless it was Protein.

I never exercised.  We've had a lot of posters who went crazy with exercising and then when they got to goal and quit exercising they started gaining their weight back.  If you exercise it has to be something you plan on doing for the rest of your life.

When you are at a stall and increase your calories with Protein and then drop back down you can jump start your weight loss again but if you continue at the higher number chances are you will slow done your normal weight loss.  

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...