Newbie!!!

scochrane86
on 4/25/17 11:09 am

Hi All,

I am new to the site and looking forward to sharing my journey with others.

Backstory: I hit my heaviest weight of 275 (BMI = 47.2) in May 2016, I was referred to the Bariatric clinic by my doctor around that time and have been doing my monthly appointments, I am about 3-4 months from my surgery date and currently weigh in at 191lbs (BMI = 32.78) so I guess I am now technically a "lightweight".

I have suffered from obesity since I was a teen and have yo-yo'd for the last 12 years, but this is the first time I have been able to loose a substantial amount of weight myself, however I spoke to my surgeon last month and asked if I continue to loose weight like this, will I still be able to get the surgery? He said that unfortunately, when people loose a lot of weight, most of them put it back on at some point, and I do not want that to happen! So we have both decided to go ahead with the surgery, even though I am, just now, losing well on my own. We are using it as a tool to help me meet my goal, but also try and prevent the weight from coming back on.

I am interested to hear from other "lightweights" what their experience was after the sleeve, and how long it took them to reach goal.

Thank you all!

Erin T.
on 4/26/17 12:06 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

Similar story to you, except I did the losing of weight prior to ever considering WLS. My highest weight was 283 (44 BMI) and I managed to lose 90lbs on my own (down to around 190). Then I started to be happy with myself, and I got lazy with diet and exercise and I gained back about 30lbs. I then went on Weigh****chers and lost the weight again, down that time to around 188lbs. Guess what? I got happy AGAIN and gained back 40lbs.

That all transpired from Fall 2011 (first started losing) to Fall 2016 (contacted the Bari center for the first time). I was around a 36 BMI when I first had my consult and because of my insurance requirements I couldn't lose below a 35 BMI, so I actually gained 7lbs while waiting for surgery! Side Note: Maintenance is hard when you've always been over weight!

I'm now 14 weeks post op from the sleeve and down around 54lbs from my weight before pre-op diet started and around 175lbs. I weigh around the same as I can remember weighing in high school now. I'm a size 8/10 jeans and M/L shirt. The difference this time is, my tool keeps me in line. So even though I'm again happy and feel wonderful, I am also still losing and using my restriction to my advantage.

Having the surgery is one of the top decisions of my life. I have never felt this good. I have had no complications so far, except that I was pretty sick (with vomiting) for 2 days post op. I work out 5-6 times per week (and it's something I truly enjoy), I eat real whole foods in small portions and my body no longer limits what I choose to do. I can walk up stairs without being winded. I can shop anywhere. Both my kids can fit their arms around me. I bought shorts, and a 2 piece bathing suit! I feel like I have a life that is so worth living now.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Roz !!!!
on 4/26/17 12:15 pm - Butler, PA

I didn't have the Sleeve but I wanted to Welcome you to our Lightweight Board!!!

Anyone can eat around any type of WLS. WLS is a tool and if you listen to your body, keep your sweets/carbs under control and your "GOOD" Protein UP you will be successful!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

scochrane86
on 4/26/17 1:51 pm

Thank you :)

I have been on a ketogenic diet since January of this year and have just about perfected the art of good protein and no sugar/low carb, I am hoping this helps me with the post-op diet!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/29/17 3:57 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

See my stats in my signature. I lost a lot of weight pre-op and had MANY previous diets where I lost a lot of weight but couldn't keep it off. I knew I needed another tool.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views