Xpost from Preggo Board: Hernia Repair during C-Section?

Spencerb52
on 11/7/08 1:40 am
I have a large lower hernia that developed after having my daughter, but the OB/GYN told me it was "nothing" (I don't go to her anymore).  I found out during my lap RNY that it was indeed a large hernia, but was too close to the bowels for them to feel comfortable repairing at the time. 

I had thought of holding out and having a tummy tuck at the same time - around 18 mos post-op.  But now that I'm PG and that softball lump is protruding more, I'm wondering if it's possible to have it repaired during the c-section?

Anyone have any experience with pre delivery hernias and what did you/will you do?

Thanks!

Jo
DS:9 yrs old / DD:5 yrs old / DS: 1 yr old

"Life must be understood backward. But it must be lived forward." -Soren Kierkegaard-
MacMadame
on 12/2/08 4:59 am - Northern, CA
I don't have a hernia, but I have had two c-sections. The people who do them have no experience with repairing hernias. It's just your OB/Gyn and an assistant and they are totally focused on getting that baby out of there and you sewn back up as soon as possible. I'd be very surprised if they agreed to do this (or to call in someone who has the required expertise to do it).

But having a hernia repaired during a tummy tuck happens all the time from what I read here. It might even help in getting insurance to agree to pay for it or at least part of the costs.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 7466 views
How do you....
Sandie E. · 0 replies · 8079 views
test
justin2smart12q · 1 replies · 8131 views