Hello to all you sup...

Laurien G.
on 9/8/07 1:47 pm - Bloomington, IN
Hello to all you supportive spouses! I'm a future RNY patient (surgery scheduled for Oct. 15th). My husband, too, has been very supportive but doesn't have a lot of time to spend on the internet to research how spouses can help surgery patients. What kind of advice do you have that I can pass on to him? His main concerns are how to be sympathetic, preparing for a new me and how to help me in adjusting to my new lifestyle change. Thanks in advance to any words of wisdom you can pass on!
willece
on 9/17/07 5:13 am - mackinaw, IL
Laurien , My wife had the surgery 2 years ago. The main thing you need to realize is that changing your body so drastically will also change how you see things and how you feel inside. It can be a very rough ride for the spouses. If you have any unresolved issues, especially ones you don't discuss with each other...you better talk about them and get them resolved before the surgery.
Chujo
on 1/9/08 12:09 am - Clatskanie, OR
Laurien My wife is at this time jumping through the hoops to have surgery, We look to have surgery this spring. I am the supportive spouse. It has helped me to go to all the meetings with Medical people and to attend the support group meetings as well. We also did three sessions of an hour length with a marrriage counselor. I like to think of it as a we thing. It has helped to talk frankly about our feelings, fears, hopes and dreams. To realise that those feelings of fear especially are real feelings but may not be correct views. I started by ready Weight loss surgery for Dumbies. and have looked for any information to inform myself. At the introduction to WLS meeting I was the one to ask the questions for my own peace of mind. I look at this as a new road and a new adventure for our Family Take Care
Most Active