psychological exam

tricia bellow
on 11/10/09 11:40 am
What to expect at a psychological exam? Please comment..
Jennifer S.
on 11/13/14 7:44 am - Ozark, AL

Good advice. The relationship you have with your Dr. makes a big difference in success.

FindingAndrea
on 11/20/09 2:42 am - Waterbury Center, VT
I can tell you what mine was like. The psychologist asked me what role weight had played in my life. Knowing this  was about a 15 minute appointment I laughed, looked at my watch, and said, "How much time do we have."  I felt like it was a mere check point of a list rather then a tool to assess if I was psychologically ready to have the surgery.

I wasn't. I had lapband in 2007. I did initially well until my surgeron started yellling at me and being critical about my slow weight loss. I then spent a year making and breaking appointments with him, and engaging in behavior that led to my obesity in the first place.

I've spent the last two yeras in therapy addressing my eating issues, treatment from my first doc and deciding to seek another. I'm looking at a conversion from lapband to RNY which I should have done in the first place. My insurance company denied my new doc's first request to cover the conversion. I'n not hopeful about the appeals either. The company says I am a failure. 

I wasn't psychologically prepared for the changes I needed to make, though I thought I was. Well, I did do well until my suregeon started abusing me. It was at that point things started going wrong.

So, my words of wisdom, ask your doc how he/she will treat you if you are a slow loser. Ask yourself if you are ready to make the changes needed to make the most of out WLS. I wish you the best on your journey. Good Luck!

Ticker

Create Your Own Ticker

Most Active