Recent Posts

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 4/11/17 8:26 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14
Topic: RE: Dealing with "date night"....

I have hopeful news for you, I think. First, you are still in your first year, and the hyper-viligence you have now will, with time, develop into an educated-I can do this mindset. I do not recommend eating out often until you have your maintainance game plan in place and know that it is working for you. I ate out very little during the first year-it was just too complicated. With every new menu, I had to play 20 questions with the wait staff and they would have to go ask the kitchen - and it did take all the fun out of it.

I am now in maint for 1.5 years. I can eat out - Applebees has become a go to place. There are several grilled options for beef, chx, fish or seafood. Steamed veggies for salad for sides. They post calories counts and they are handy with the left-over box. It feels like I have rejoined civilization. You can also search many menus on line and develop one or two rest that everyone can go to.

Second, you are going through lots of changes in the first year post-op, I would suggest seeing a therapist. Not necessarily a marriage therapist, but someone who has worked with WLS patents (our peeps) and understands the many effects of this rapid bodily change may have on our lives and relationships.

Hang in there.

Sharon

BlueCanary
on 4/4/17 1:33 pm
Topic: RE: My boyfriend broke up because of my wls.

"It is finally over"

That sentence speaks volumes. Best wishes on a new adventure & here's to the opportunity to find someone *****ally, really loves you or to discover yourself & know you are are amazing! Maybe both!

BlueCanary

Ht 5'4"

Current weight 315

BMI 54.1

Hoping for surgery in 2018

HonestOmnivore
on 3/17/17 11:51 am
RNY on 03/29/17
Topic: RE: 28 years my senior

Hi! My husband is also 28 years older than me. We have been married for thirty years. I moved out of our home last year, and now we get along much better but I'm not sure we will be able to save the marriage.

My decision to have weight loss surgery is health related, and my health was what pushed us apart. Well, my health was the final shove...

We started to get marriage therapy in 1996, and stuck to it off and on for almost 20 years! I believe that if two people really love each other, they can make a marriage work, but now I realize that isn't enough. My husband loves me, but not in a way that motivates him to compromise. I love my husband and I will compromise for him, but after trying to make "his way" work for years, I realize that I'm just wired differently.

After getting some space, I've realized how much I want to be healthy and strong and that part of that is getting this weight off for good. I wish I'd done this twenty years ago!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

HonestOmnivore
on 3/17/17 11:26 am
RNY on 03/29/17

Picnics can be a good compromise to allow the stay at home spouse to escape the house, but not tangle with restaurant eating. I'm not sure of the weather were you are, but if it's super hot, breakfast picnics can be a fun way to start a day :)

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Jester
on 3/11/17 2:24 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I'm definitely going to keep couples massage on the agenda. She loves massages. I could take them or leave them, but haven't had one in probably 20 years so I'm willing to give it another shot! Thanks for the ideas.

Jester
on 3/11/17 2:23 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

Well today I had my first pedicure!! We had a fun day hanging out together all day. We went to the gym and just walked the track for about a mile. Me rehabbing my replaced hip, her trying to build some stamina for our upcoming trip to DC. Then we did a little shopping, grabbed some coffee and got pedicures together.

So much more interesting and fun to me than going out to dinner at this point. I think she really enjoyed it too.

To the the last poster, we actually go to the theater on a somewhat regular basis. Something we've always enjoyed and this year I suggested rather than going once or twice that we select a number of shows to attend in order to have more varied activities! Given the productions are downtown (about an hour away), it still often involved a meal out; however at least it's not the focal point of the evening.

Mustang1031
on 3/10/17 8:39 am
Topic: RE: My boyfriend broke up because of my wls.

He was not worthy of YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mustang1031
on 3/10/17 8:37 am

What about an art night- painting or pottery class- Does your town have music on the square or a town playhouse? Couples massage, my favorite

Jester
on 2/14/17 8:38 am
RNY on 03/21/16

You know what - that is a great idea about preparing in advance!  In fact, it's another way I can help out.  Once a month, I prepare all of my lunches - I make up 3-4 different dishes, divide them into individual containers, and freeze them.  It would be little trouble for me to make a few extra dishes up in advance (or even double portion what I'm already making).  That might ease the burden a little.

Also a great idea about the pedicures!  I will be honest, most of her hobbies revolve around food.  She goes out to lunch with her girlfriends almost daily, and usually goes out to dinner with them 1-2 nights a week.  That being said, she is addicted to her mani/pedis.  Not something I ever really considered, but perhaps it's worth a shot as a date night activity.  Perhaps mani/pedis and some clothes/shoe shopping would be a great replacement (the key here will be get agreement that this is a REPLACEMENT, and not IN ADDITION TO) for dinner out.

Awesome tips, thanks - exactly what I was looking for.  If you have any other ideas of what you've forced your husband to do, please share :-) !!  I'm pretty open minded and willing to try just about anything.

ladygodiva1228
on 2/14/17 7:45 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Ah ok now I understand her wanting to go out for meals.   Maybe plan make ahead meals on the weekend so it alleviates her having to cook every night during the week and you two could make them together?  There are so many different meals that can be made and then froze for future use.  Then it would be just popping it in the oven to cook during the week.  Does she make crockpot meals?  Trying to think of things that can be done ahead of time so you both can just relax at night during the week.

As for a date night are there any hobbies or things she has said she wanted to try in the past?  Something that you would be willing to join her in?  Heck I have talked my husband into getting a pedicure with me and he like it. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Most Active