Recent Posts

alsgal
on 2/15/06 7:31 pm - Charleston, SC
Topic: RE: Is there any hope?
George, I would be your wife's best friend at this point. If you have children, you should be there for them constantly- offer to do the driving around for their activities. Go over unannounced and mow the lawn, or change the oil in her car or clean up the yard.... in other words, show random acts of responsibility and kindness WITHOUT begging for conversation or making long-winded apologies. Just show that you are committed to being the responsible husband that she needs. Be patient. The best of all relationships come from friendships, so if you put the emotional stuff aside for now and focus on being her friend, she may recall the reasons that she fell in love with you in the first place. Do you cook? Make up some of her meals and put them in containers and bring them by; tell her that you know she must be pressed for time now that she is living on her own and having to do everything her self, and tell her that you wanted to help out by cutting some time-consuming things off of her schedule. In other words, in a nutshell, be thoughtful, be patient, be her best friend, and most importantly... suck up the sadness and do it with a smile. Self-pity is unappealing, so even if you are hurting, try not to show it. Lay it on a counselor or a friend, and save all of your smiles and laughs for her.
alsgal
on 2/15/06 7:19 pm - Charleston, SC
Topic: RE: Question for all of you spouses
I am apprehensive of my husband's reaction. We are going today for the initial consult and classes. He is not supportive of the surgery. I am not sure why. He SAYS it is because of the risks, but I think it is because of the dramatic change it will have in my appearance. I am an attractive woman, and I still get noticed even at my size. When I met him, I was 112 pounds; 130 when we married, and currently at 230. He is a really, really attractive guy and I am wondering if it is an ego boost that he is handsome and much more fit than I. Will he feel threatened when I begin to shrink? He has nothing to worry about because he is the love of my life, my soul mate, and we are committed to be together for life. I adore him- bad habits, BiPolar mood swings, and all. How do I make it clear to him that I am doing this for myself, to be the girl he once knew, to be healthier and more active, and to be less inhibited? (yeah, with my current weight, I avoid getting naked at all costs, I must confess) The comments posted here about spouses getting jealous and insecure scare me. We celebrated our 20th anniversary last week and I would scream "I DO!" again in a heartbeat.
diane
on 1/28/06 11:49 am - Covington, LA
Topic: RE: Spousal weight loss?
Hey I'm 9 weeks out and my husband has taken off 40 lbs. He has been extremely supportive of me and with him and my son both on diets....our lives are better
bkhunter68
on 1/22/06 8:49 pm - VA
sorry The previous post was meant to go somewhere else
bkhunter68
on 1/22/06 9:03 am - VA
Topic: RE: I Admit It...I'm A Spy
My wife is a little over a year out and she likes and feels great. We or I feel you are discribing us as you discribed you husband. We Just got home from the richmond conferance.It was a blast, Minus some snags with my wife but that goes to show you. Good marrages can and do stay good. I only advice I can give you is to not forget the support your husband gave you before and after the surgury, And to let them go this journey with you.
bkhunter68
on 1/22/06 9:02 am - VA
Its a little late I guess for this, but here it goes dummy. My wife is over a year out and all the time I didn't notice the weight loss. Why? Cause I live with her and am with her all the time. It took the before and after pics for me to notice. Maybe your wife is like me and didn't the weight but just saw you. you got some making up to do. BIG TIME,Think about it? the ones that hit on you now, Would they have hit on you then? She did. Good luck
brewerpaul
on 1/7/06 4:01 am - Cohoes, NY
Replying to myself... My wife is nearly 3 weeks out from her lap RNY. She's doing great and as of her two week mark had lost 16 lb (she's adamant about only weighing herself once per week). You can already see the changes in her face. As for myself, I HAVE lost some weight. Approx 5 lb out of the 15 or 20 that I eventually want to lose. At 5'4", I'd have to weigh 145 lb, but I think that may be too scrawny-- I'll know when I get where I want to be.
Darlene X
on 12/15/05 7:50 am - Maricopa, AZ
yeah I thought the same too when my husband had surgery--- hasn't happened. Im thinking about having WLS next year for myself.
NCKodiac
on 12/15/05 1:52 am - Burgaw, NC
This is something that kind of bothers me. I know my self confidence rose greatly. Women hit on me quite often after I lost much of my weight.(picture on here is not current at all) What bothered me most was my wife still didn't seem to take notice or care. One of the things I wanted most from my weightloss, other than to stop my back and knees hurting, was a better sex life with my wife. I had always figured that my being so heavy turned her off. But alas, that was not to happen. I felt slighted and hurt. So yes, I did step outside the box and reached for someone who did notice that I had changed and actually looked good. Was I wrong, of course. Did I need it, definately. Oh, before you condemn me, she had had an ongoing affair that lasted the better part of 9 years before hand. Not that I had known it at the time, but I was able to forgive her as she has supposedly forgiven me. What I think many spouses forget is that for so long, we have felt neglected or self concious about our weight. We've been made fun of, told that we're too fat, too ugly, etc etc. When all we want is for those who love us to embrace us for the courage to change and make ourselves better physically as well as emotionally. My wife was not happy about me having the surgery. She's overweight as well, but won't do anything about it. I don't make it an issue because I know what I felt like. I don't know what she thinks but I do think she's afraid to say it. What I do know is that no matter how much weight I lose, I may never be good enough in her eyes. I'm somewhat envious of couples I see who seem so into each other. I often wonder, to myself and to my wife, what we could do to be like that. Who knows?
April Loves David
on 12/14/05 4:47 pm - South Fulton, TN
Hello- I am a lil over 7 months out and my husband has not lost one lb! THANK GOD!! He hasn't gained any either, and he just loves his sweets, which he keeps in the house. He is 6'3 and 143 lbs. He has never had a prob. If you want to lose a few then sure, as long as there is not tempting food. I wish you the best if you want to lose or if you don't want to lose. And I wish your wife the best in luck with her surgery. ~April~ Lap Rny May 13, 2005 21 yrs old, 5'1 231 / 149 / 120
Most Active