Writergurl08’s Posts

Writergurl08
on 11/15/17 9:47 am
Topic: RE: Heping mysef by helping him

Oh, also, there are literally hundreds of protein shakes on the market, we tried a lot and I'm still trying more in preparation for my own surgery

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Writergurl08
on 11/15/17 9:37 am

our "liquid diet" wasn't as restrictive as some. We did protein shakes, but also could have yogurt without fruit chunks, strained soups, sugar-free jello and pudding, broths, and all the water we could get in (all surgeons will have different requirements).

That was in May. My doctor was fine with it, and I have always taken a multivitamin anyway.

now I still follow a low-carb, high-protein approach with my husband. I do measure out my food still, but I am not eating the exact same portions he is, but mostly that's because I'm adding a lot more servings of vegetables in a day than he can fit in.

Im currently in pre-op evaluation to have my own surgery

HW: 340 SW: 329 Goal: 170

CW: 243

Surgeon: Dr. Kalyana Nandipati (Omaha, NE)

Writergurl08
on 5/27/17 6:37 am

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the portions, my mom had the same surgery when I was in high school, and several family members have had it since. I know I won't feel full the same way a person would had they had the surgery and the dumping Syndrome isn't something I'll have to deal with, though as a diabetic, I avoid sugar anyway.

I am measuring all of my food to what my husband theoretically eats. we're still on liquids right now, 4 oz per hour, but I know with solid food it might only take 2-3 for him to get full. Since I won't feel full, I'm planning on eating what I've measured out and no more. I also won't have the hormonal changes and the malabsorption that come with the surgery. I know it's not going to be exactly the same, and yes I could "cheat" at anytime with not nearly the consequences he would have, but I do have a lot of support from my doctor as well as his bariatric doctor, and I feel like my husband is happy that we're both doing this together

Writergurl08
on 5/22/17 6:32 pm, edited 5/22/17 8:35 pm

I'm not sure if this thread is very active. I just registered today. I am a WLS spouse :) My husband and I were married this past October and around then he also started the evaluation and consultation process for WLS. He had RNY just this past Thursday, and I've been following his diet the whole time. Before this, I was the positive influence--he was a bachelor, ate a lot of fast food, never really cooked for himself. I'm a type 2 diabetic, and he took me out to eat a LOT when we started dating. But I told him I couldn't do that--my sugars were becoming hard to manage. I started grocery shopping and preparing dinners at home (I love cooking). He embraced it. Anyway, I ate the liquid diet too, and I'll be moving to soft proteins when he does. Has anyone else followed the diet along with their spouse? To me it just makes the most sense for several reasons. I'm also very overweight. We'll save money on the grocery bills. I don't have to cook two different meals. I'm doing less dishes. When he started talking about looking into WLS, I had a general idea. My mom had RNY 15 years ago, and I remembered the basics of her diet, her portions, her struggles.

Writergurl08
on 5/22/17 5:57 pm
Topic: RE: Dealing with "date night"....

Just registered here on OH to reply to your dilemma (I've been stalking the forums for a while).

My husband and I reduced our eating out long before he decided to have WLS, because I'm a type 2 diabetic and all that eating out was bad for my blood sugars. I also love to cook, so its not a problem to cook healthy meals at home. He began his liquid diet on May 4th, and had RNY just this past Thursday. I decided to eat the same as him.

In this last month we've gone out together 4 times, all without involving dinner out. we saw a play, a movie, and we have been checking out some of these "wine and art" type places that are cropping up. The drinking is optional (we just had water). One place was a "paint your own ceramics" thing where you purchased a plain piece of ceramic-mug, bowl, base, etc. then you paint it however you want, and they fired it. We took it home that night. The other was a place where we made rustic wooden signs (we each made one for our moms for Mother's Day.) are either of you crafty? My husband isn't, I am. We both had a great time and it was really relaxing and fun! Might be worth seeing if you have anything like that locally?

Most Active