VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » In Praise of Coffee...

In Praise of Coffee

diane S.
on 7/10/14 4:17 am

Sitting here with my morning cup reminds me of how important coffee has been on this weight loss journey. I have always loved it with half and half and got back to it a month after surgery.  Lost all my weight using real half and half (which my doctor might not have approved) but I tracked it and counted it. 

In maintenance I have a morning cup before breakfast and make more in a container to take to the studio.  Sipping good coffee allows me to delay lunch without any problem and later lunch means later dinner and less evening snacking.

So I am always looking for the perfect tasting coffee for me. Right now I like Gevalier but there is also a Brazilian blend I can get at a nearby shop.  I don't like flavored coffees - just true good coffee taste.  Having good coffee makes it easier to pass on cookies and junk at the studio so I don't feel bad about spending extra on the fancy kinds.

I used to consider coca-cola as nector of the gods. Now its good coffee (maybe red wine too). 

In Italy we had great cappucino all the time so I bought a milk frother when I got home.   My friends got one too and wondered why it won't work with soy milk!!!! Sacriledge!!

Anyway, report in on your favorite coffee.  Its an important maintenance tool.

Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Spencerella
on 7/10/14 5:46 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Oh so true about the importance of coffee!!! A simple but meaningful pleasure with no calories or carbs attached to it!!  I've been a coffee snob for years, but got lazy awhile back and switched to a Nespresso machine.  I find it to be a reasonable compromise ....  but who knows I could break out the grinder any time too ...

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Escape_Pod
on 7/10/14 6:25 am

I purchased a Nespresso machine at my husband's request right around the time I had surgery.  I was surprised at his interest, but since I was usually the espresso machine operator and I was going to be off coffee for awhile, it seemed like a good idea.  We've since named it "Miracle Max", banished the espresso machine to the garage, and wonder how we ever lived without it.  I find the frother works well most of the time with almond milk (sorry Diane!), some brands seem to froth better than others.  I'm not much of a coffee connoisseur I guess - my only requirement is that it be STRONG.  I travel with Via packets so I can strengthen a brewed cup when needed.

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

slimpickins5280
on 7/11/14 2:10 am - CO

Coffee has been in my daily routine since 1 month post op. It keeps me sane (er) and regular (tmi). Hale to coffee!!!

I do have to be careful not to go to heavy on it or I get some heartburn. 

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

stephanieplum
on 7/11/14 3:46 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I have a Keurig at school and at home.  I find that coffee keeps me from snacking, too.  I use half and half and powered or liquid flavored creamers.  It's a treat!  I tried to give up coffee during the Christmas Show at school and my good friend and fellow teacher handed my a cup in the middle of rehearsal.  Apparently, I was a little on edge! lol  I love my coffee...reminds me of my Gramma who loved instant coffee:)

VSG on 06/12/13

We have a tassimo machine at work. I have decaf except in the morning, but I have found 1 decaf pod made strong + 3 pumps sugar free vanilla syrup + a latte cream pack = passable coffeehouse latte but with fewer carbs and calories.

i may have 3-4 cups per day, all but 1 is decaf. I agree on it being a helpful tool.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Cricket2000
on 8/10/14 12:55 am - IN

I agree!  I also like the way it speeds up the digestive system.   It must be good to rev our metabolism's right?  Is there scientific proof out there to back this up?   

HW 200, surgery weight 190, Goal Weight 140, Current Weight 140, Height 5 foot 8 1/2
Sleeve Surgery by Aceves on Feb 10, 2011

diane S.
on 8/10/14 4:24 am

I don't know about metabolic rate but my surgeon approves coffee after a month because he says it is a proven appetite surpressant. I think its true.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/