VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Thoughts on exercis...

Thoughts on exercise and weight loss

jubjub
on 7/13/14 4:31 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Found this on suppversity.com

Thoughts on exercise and weight loss from an older (1999) paper by Dr Kenneth R Fox which revolved around physical activity and well being, not exercise - still intriguing:

"Although not directly related to mental health but implicated through its effect on obesity development and weight management attempts, are the interactive effects of energy intake and energy expended through exercise. Recently, Blundell and King addressed several key issues in this area and concluded: Exercise produces a reduction in appetite. However this is relatively short lived and lasts in most cases less than an hour.

There is no evidence of tight coupling between energy deficit created through exercise and subsequent energy intake. This suggests that exercise for weight loss is not futile as there is not a strong physiological link to stimulate compensatory eating.

There is stronger regulation of carbohydrate and protein than fat in response to exercise. This suggests that hunger following exercise is more likely to be driven by need for carbohydrate repletion in the muscles and protein for synthesis. Post exercise meals low in fat would therefore promote successful weight management.

Clearly this is an important area of research as mental health is often influenced by guilt, low self-efficacy or futility regarding maintenance of a lean body."

And further down, he mentions with respect to the contemporary research on exercise and sustained weight loss:

"There have been a series of studies from different research groups showing that those who maintain exercise following a weight loss programme, are much more likely to sustain their weight loss. This cannot be fully explained by the increased energy expended by the exercise. The view exists therefore that psychological mechanisms such as increased self-esteem, confidence and control developed through the exercise is promoting more successful management of energy intake. The relative influence of exercise and eating behaviour and their interactive effects on long term weight management success is an important issue as it affects large numbers of individuals." www,suppversity.com

References: Kenneth R Fox (1999). The influence of physical activity on mental well-being. Public Health Nutrition, 2, pp 411-418. doi:10.1017/S1368980099000567.

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

MacMadame
on 7/13/14 1:07 pm - Northern, CA

My observations match their findings on exercise and sustained weight loss. However, I don't think you can discount the increased energy expenditure part. I consider it kind of insurance. Because most people can't eat as strictly as they do that first 6-12 months for the rest of their lives. I think the most I've seen people manage it is 2 years. But eventually you let up a little. Regular exercise can mitigate the effects of letting up and eating a more normal diet.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights