VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Maintenance 2.0 - a...

Maintenance 2.0 - a new approach

Ivorybird
on 2/15/15 1:05 pm - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

Hello all!

I've decided to come out of the shadows and say hi.  I first reached goal over the summer and then my weight gradually went up about 6-8 pounds over my lowest weight, mostly because I lost focus and was just so happy to be at goal and be "done."  I'm sure you can see (as I do now) the error with that thinking.

Around the holidays, I had a chat with the good Dr. C. who pointed out that I had gone up in weight every time I had seen him since the summer.  It wasn't much in total, but a trend was there.  Not the one I wanted.   So after much grumbling, I decided he was absolutely right and got back on track.  I started tracking again, dropped my calories to 1000, upped my protein, and made sure my carbs were in check.  At first it sucked, as I had let carbs creep back in, but after a few days I settled in and started to feel better.  I am now back at .1 lb below goal.  (go me!)

I've decided that I'm going to keep with the weight loss calorie plan and go down a few more pounds to see how that feels.  I picked my goal weight somewhat haphazardly, and am thinking that I would like to have a bit of breathing room, and maybe adjust my goal range downward.  This time instead of hitting a number and going "woo hoo, party time", I'm going to be more scientific in my approach, up my calories slowly to see how my body reacts, and try to find what calorie and carb levels I can get away with without compromising the results I want.  

During this time I read all (and yes, I do mean all 130+) pages here on the maintenance forum and have gleaned many tips and strategies that will hopefully serve me well, from how my pyloric valve works (thanks Frisco!) to techniques many of you have used to keep yourselves where you want to be.

I'm fully aware that I'm only in remission from obesity, not cured, and that I will always need to be diligent.  I want to thank everyone who has shared their wisdom along the way - what a great resource for those of us who don't have to reinvent the wheel!

Jen

Surgery Date 9/19/13 Dr. Cirangle

HW 267.8  SW 261 GW 155 Blog:http://onwardanddownwardsf.weebly.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/15 3:07 pm

Why did reading this make me want a cookie? Okay, I'm being silly....

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I totally relate to the "yay, I'm done" thinking. That's sort of what got me along with a few other things.

stephanieplum
on 2/15/15 11:07 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Thanks for posting. I'm on the get back on track and WL mode.  Again. Still. 

diane S.
on 2/16/15 2:15 am

great thoughts and so timely.  so many of us have post holiday "guest" pounds that need to go away now. you are right, we are all in remission and need to keep at it.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/