VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Thursday, February ...

Thursday, February 4, 2016

ocean4dlm
on 2/4/16 3:00 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Yesterday, my intake felt lots like the early days post VSG. I got on the scale this morning expecting to see that kind of a daily drop. Down .2. Really ?  I know if I had been down 1-2 pounds, it would have been water, still, I was unprepared for the bitter disappointment I felt when I got on the scale. More head work to do.

I start every day adding to my collection of motivational quotes for my Maintenance Motivation board on Pinterest. Here's my focus for today: "Success in life comes when you simply refuse to give up, with goals so focused that obstacles, disappointments and loss only act as motivation."

Word. So let's all identify one focused goal for today and feel motivated by the synergy of our "family".

Today's goal: I will nourish my body with healthy food, as the gastro bug resolves.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Paula1965
on 2/4/16 5:33 am
VSG on 04/01/15

Diane, Hope that bug leaves you soon. Sorry the scale wasn't kind today!

123.8 for me today which surprised me. I'm one of those crazy people that steps on the scale several times a day. Usually my morning weight will about a pound or so below the before going to bed weight. Last night I was up to 126.6 so I thought for sure my weight would still be trending up this morning. Guess I just drank more and needed to get those fluids out!

I did stay on track yesterday with diet, only had a nibble of brownie crumbs from the treat I made for bible study. I was also able to get 45 minutes of walking in over lunch - meeting was cancelled.

I apologize for not responding to the posts yesterday. I barely got a quick read through of them before bible study last night. Super busy day yesterday!

Remember when I asked about macro percentages? I finally heard back from my NUT regarding her recommendations. I was surprised by them - she said to have 50% Carbs, 25% Protein and 25% Fat - she said I needed more carbs to fuel all the exercise I do. So different then what most people at OH prescribe to! I also learned that my surgeon will be moving out of state the end of March and they will be closing the whole bariatric program where I had my surgery! Yikes! I wasn't planning on following with him anymore due to non-coverage with insurance but would have liked to have the option for self-pay if a complication should arise. We do have other programs in the area and I could see one of those surgeons I'm sure if need be.

Gallbladder surgery tomorrow. Back to the drawing board for healing and recovery. This is my 4th surgery since April (VSG in April, Internal Defibrillator replacement and new lead in September, Vericose vein surgery in December and now Gallbladder). I hate how the recovery puts me behind in my exercise goals!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

ocean4dlm
on 2/4/16 6:52 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

You've got this !!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 9:14 am, edited 2/4/16 1:15 am

Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully, this will be the last of your surgeries for a long time to come! 

Um.... as for the carb load... do your research. There is an old school methodology that prescribes carbs because they are easily accessible energy. However, there are studies that show that a diet high in protein, moderate in fat and moderate to low in carbohydrate will better build muscle mass and maintain blood glucose levels and keep weight more stable. I, have found for myself that a diet that's 40% protein, 30% each of fat and carbs works best for me to lose gradually or maintain, but I still have to be very careful about what types of carbs are being eaten in that 30%! 

TeashaLorna
on 2/4/16 5:48 am - Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Diane, feel better soonest  

Paula, good luck and speedy recovery from you

r surgery. I hear you on the carb side when you are exercising a lot. I found I needed to up mine as well. For me the problem came after an injury and I still continued with my carbs. This is such a fine line for me.

i did better with foods yesterday, we are still in Cuba and I really can't stomach how there meats are cooked  lots of sauces and I am not a sauce person at all. Eating cheese and eggs here.  Lots and lots of walking over 20,000 steps again yesterday. 

Home on Sunday night it will be good to get back on track  

hugs everyone have a great on track day  Lorna

Dr Ponce de Leon Mexico     VSG 4 Jun 12. I lost 57 lbs on my own before having a VSG. This is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

brownblonde
on 2/4/16 5:57 am

Paula-good luck with galbladder surgery.  My surgery was a breeze and did resolve the horrendous galbladder attacks I was having, but unfortunately I'm still having stomach issues.  Hopefully this is the one-stop fix for you!!

Well...in the interest of accountability, I'll get this out there quick.

Yesterday my calories were 1473+unknown calories in two bacon-wrapped grilled jalapenos (at least those were low carb).  So definitely over my 1200 calorie goal, and probably around 1600-1700.  That should be around my maintenance calories, but today back up to 162.4.

So what went wrong?  First, I ate NBA food.  Second, I had unplanned crackers in the afternoon.  I guess I'll have to start figuring that into my calories.  At the game I had boneless buffalo wings.  They seemed like a good choice but they were mostly breading :(  When I logged them, I found that 3 were 300 calories!  Plus blue cheese!  Grr.  I did find that they have vegetable dippers and fruit.  But yeah.  For the most part no good options.  They also had salad but my stomach doesn't tolerate leafy greens well.  They check purses but I wonder if I could sneak in beef jerky.  

Anyway, onward and upward.  It wasn't a horrible calorie log yesterday and I feel I still made pretty good choices.  I just didn't put myself in the best situation.

My goal today is to make it through bunco without blowing crazy calories.

Today's planned eats:

B:  english muffin, scrambled eggs, coffee with creamer

S:  protein granola bar

L:  Leftover chicken verde turned into a burrito "bowl"--shredded lettuce, leftover sauteed zucchini and corn, salsa verde chicken, sour cream, green onions

S:  apple and piece of cheese

D:  Not sure what I'll take to Bunco.  I know I need to take some kind of flavored water and steer clear of the wine!!  I thought about like a chicken satay or something protein-packed but I'm not sure I have enough time.

Good luck today everyone!

carbondated
on 2/4/16 6:44 am

Good morning all.

best for your gall bladder surgery tomorrow. And Linda, (Spencerella) glad that the dark cloud is lifting.Diane hope you feel better.

calories 756 and 11,808 steps.

happy Thursday everyone.

Shel25
on 2/4/16 7:03 am

Good morning, all!

My desk is having its own natural disaster today.  Two spills already today!  Silver lining: the coffee spill will likely supply French vanilla aromatherapy for the rest of the day

Diane O, I do hope you are feeling better soon.  It is different to watch the scale with maintenance eyes vs weight loss eyes, isn't it?  We will learn.  I think of it like I do INRs, we watch, we don't pretend to always understand why it moves, we mange.  Not that this necessarily helps my brain. 

Paula, thanks for the info on macros, I will think about this more tonight.  And, best wishes for surgery tomorrow. 

Nice to see everyone else's reports!  125.5 for me today.

Just keep swimming.....

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

JoeyJo
on 2/4/16 9:50 am - NJ

184.4 (up .2) but I know that's water because the cheesesteak filling was very salty and I drank more than usual to try to prevent leg cramps.  I also took my vitamins.  Don't know if the cause was vitamin, mineral or too many lunges, but the cramps stopped so I am happy.

B- Quest bar and small banana

L- Sweet red pepper with ranch tuna creations packet

S- Dannon Light & Fit Greek

D- Probably a burrito bowl if my cousin and I go to the Mexican place down the street from the theater we are going to tonight.  http://juanitosredbank.com/menu.html  (My cousin had an extra ticket for Deepak Chopra and invited me to go with her.  Hurray!)

S- May have another yogurt or a piece of fruit if I'm hungry when I get home tonight.

E- Cut back, because I am deathly afraid of the muscle cramps

W- Ahead of schedule, again deathly afraid of the muscle cramps

V- Yes, absolutely, again deathly afraid of the muscle cramps

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/16 9:52 am

Diane O, hope you are feeling better soon. I hate gastro difficulties. 

Ran into my trainer yesterday at the gym. He checked me over and so I got cleared to start back on the elliptical. I took it easy, but still got a nice sweat going and kept the ticker over 130 the whole time. Got 2.75 miles in - about 4900 strides. 

Food was on point. I ate just over 1,000 calories, but was a little low on protein - only 93 grams. Scale showed a moderate loss -  202.1 this morning.

Focusing on my mini goal of being under 200 by the 15th. 

Here's a bit of news: OH has asked me to write and article for the"living with wls" series they are doing. Kind of cool to be asked. I've written a first draft and they responded by wanting me to write even more focusing on my recovery from regain. It'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.