VSG Maintenance Group

Tuesday, May 3rd

Paula1965
on 5/3/16 5:32 am, edited 5/3/16 5:45 am
VSG on 04/01/15

125.8 - down just a smidge! Busy weekend continued into yesterday but I did get a 45 minute walk in over the lunch hour. Boot Camp and possibly yoga today - I have not done yoga in forever! Still snacking too much. Gonna try and do better today. I need to go shopping for some good protein forward lunches (one of my favorites is to make the insides of a spicy kani sushi roll). I might make some egg salad as well. Yogurt is always a good stand by and I have that almost daily and sometimes twice daily. It used to be my morning meal but now I am having a Quest bar for breakfast most mornings. I might try to do the yogurt as a snack instead of the high calorie peanuts!

Hope Sadie is recovering well. Hugs and snuggles to her!

Thinking of you Lorna!

Have a Terrific Tuesday my Totally Tubular Trench mates! (okay, maybe that doesn't make much sense but I'm keeping with the alliteration theme!)

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

carbondated
on 5/3/16 5:44 am

Morning all and warm welcome Michelle

calories 980 and steps.....only 6,000.

Shel25
on 5/3/16 7:25 am

Good morning!

125.2 today. No extra bites yesterday but other behaviors at play which made me WISH for just a swipe of granola instead of kitchen drive by on the way to bed.  No matter. I will keep at it. 

About the NYT biggest loser article yesterday: hopefully a start to getting the whole freakin' world's focus off of the moral failing of supposed lack of will power.   Really a call to arms to get something (!) going for weight loss maintenance support.  It has to be treated chronically even after the patient appears "normal." Paula, maybe a new career path for us?  If only payers would pay.

I listened to an interview of a local diabetes expert.  He was asked if the results of that study were surprising to him as it was to the person interviewing him.  He said "uh, no.  I can't say I was surprised. This is a typical response for people who lose weight from diet or diet and exercise."

Later, he did specifically say that weight loss surgery like RNY yields a different response from the body.  The body doesn't seem to realize it lost a massive amount of weight and there isn't the same physiological drive to regain the weight. 

I wanted there to be more back and forth about WLS but the host of the show instead said "or, you can just move to a city with crummy restaurants."  Oh well, it was drive time interview, got to keep it light and fluffy. 

Oddly, I do feel like a tuber today.

Thinking of you, Lorna!  Diane O, give that Sadie girl a nice head scratch for me.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Paula1965
on 5/3/16 8:07 am, edited 5/3/16 1:06 am
VSG on 04/01/15

"Oddly, I do feel like a tuber today."

LOL - literally! However, I SAID tubular as in "A once-popular expression meaning, essentially, 'really cool'. Synonymous with far out and awesome. " NOT tuber "A swollen, fleshy, usually underground outgrowth of the stem or rhizome of a plant, such as the potato, bearing buds from which new plant shoots arise" or " A rounded projection or swelling; a tubercle." - but you knew that!

"Really a call to arms to get something (!) going for weight loss maintenance support.  It has to be treated chronically even after the patient appears "normal." Paula, maybe a new career path for us?  If only payers would pay."

Oddly enough a job was posted at a hospital nearby for an exercise physiologist to work with post-bariatric patients on developing post surgery healthy lifestyles! I was intrigued but did not apply. The position was a .5 and only a temporary 12 month assignment (I guess they wanted to try it out before committing to a permanent position). If I didn't have 25 years in with my current employer (and the benefits that go with those 25 years) I might have considered it!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Shel25
on 5/3/16 8:26 am

Oh, I saw it was tubular :) but that didn't describe me today. I feel tuber-like and ran with it!  (Farm girls definitely know what tubers are.)

My organization's endo dept is starting a team approach (including pharmacists/dieticians) for weight loss and maintenance phase.  All types of wl will be welcome and I THINK they will be rolling WLS patients into it post surgery.  A couple of people have asked if I would be interested in participating on the committee but so far no formal invite.  I work across the lake and my lack of on-site proximity might be a perceived issue tho we liberally use video conferencing.

I also (maybe wrongly) think that I would seem biased because I am a WLS person.  Also, I FEEL (don't know for sure because it is like a secret) like our official stance from dieticians is everything in moderation, 50-60% EWL is grand, etc etc. 

It is well known among my personal medical team (whi*****ludes at least 3 people on that committee) that I was not moderate in my own journey and maybe they don't want me around, worried that I can't be balanced.

I think personalized care will be important no matter the patient.  I think I can be balanced. The program is all brand new, they are likely finding their path/message and not necessarily excluding me in particular.  I'm a bit sensitive.  ;0

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Spencerella
on 5/3/16 9:17 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Re the article. There is some emerging stuff that suggests that us wls folks become different metabolically, that at least in terms of our guts (which interact with our brains) we become more 'normal'. I really think that's the big gift that we are only beginning to understand, so there's real hope for us. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

JoeyJo
on 5/3/16 7:42 am - NJ

195. Down 2, still scary high, 13 to get back on the path I detoured.  I stayed on my plan all day yesterday despite messing up the super simple cod recipe that I tried.  In my defense, my oven is a piece of garbage that can no longer be trusted.  Tonight, I am frying the rest of the cod with butter and garlic and throwing it on top of some fresh, steamed spinach.  Not to jinx myself, but there is no way I can mess that up. 

I have enlisted my son's help to thwart the after-dinner snacking.  It is raining tonight, but even if we walk around Home Depot, I will be away from the snacks, moving and maybe I'll price ovens.

momsy55
on 5/3/16 8:36 am - ME

Good almost afternoon!  (at least here on the east coast).  Had a good day yesterday, but the scale didn't move even a smidge!  Had a brief and embarrassing hissy fit in the bathroom, as DH walked in at the end of it.  I quickly got over myself and came to my senses, realizing that the scale isn't going to move jdownward ust because I want it to.  If I keep eating healthy, within a certain calorie range and very low carb, it will move in the right direction.  Have I mentioned wanting immediate gratification?  LOL

Busy morning at work, but I feel I got some things accomplished - always a good feeling.  Yesterday I felt out of sorts at work, feeling micromanaged and pushed into a direction for my program that I don't want to go in, from my supervisor and one of the owners.  Felt kind of funky all night, but I didn't eat over it, which is the good news! 

Dance is tonight - Yay!! Only one more class in the studio after tonight and then it's rehearsals at the Opera House, with dress rehearsal and recital that weekend.  Can't wait!

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Hugs, Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Spencerella
on 5/3/16 8:53 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

We're here!  We've been given another day, so let's all do our best to make it count in some small way.

I'm still at 114, likely carrying a little water weight, but choices are kinda sketchy too. Nevertheless, enjoyed a beautiful piece of Tiramasu cake last night after a simple anniversary meal at home - bbq chicken thighs over Caesar salad. DH had artisan bread so because it was special bread I allowed myself a rare small piece. All in all a yummy dinner and a very happy evening with my hubby.

A warm day ahead so planning to take Violet out to help with some shopping errands today. Drove Mickey for the first time yesterday!  Fortunately there's enough seat adjustment for me to reach the pedals and kinda sorta see over the dash!   

LINDA                 

Spencerella
on 5/3/16 8:59 am, edited 5/3/16 2:00 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

My new duck boots for wearing around camp. Cool in a completely new way, right?  ..... Right?

LINDA