VSG Maintenance Group

Wednesday, May 4th

Paula1965
on 5/4/16 4:37 am, edited 5/4/16 4:45 am
VSG on 04/01/15

125.8 - same. Stellar day for food and exercise yesterday! Calories under by a few hundred, protein in at 145 G and Carbs at 66 (almost unheard of for me these days). My goal yesterday was to not have any foods in the "junk" category on MFP and it worked. I boiled up a bunch of eggs and made deviled eggs with them. I am eating the eggs as a snack - way less fat then nuts and good protein source to boot. Did boot camp and helped a friend move (138 flights of steps - carrying boxes - according to my Fitbit!).

Not feeling the alliteration today so I will simply say - Happy Wednesday!

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

carbondated
on 5/4/16 6:12 am

Morning everyone.

calories 1098 and steps 13,945.   Just wanted to prove to Fitbit that indeed, am still alive.

Lorna, trusting that you are ok.

Happy Wednesday, weekend is soon here.

Shel25
on 5/4/16 7:39 am, edited 5/4/16 1:20 am

Wahoo Wednesday!

124.2 today.  The tide is out.  Behaviors pretty darned good yesterday!  Plan to repeat that today.  Paula, you are doing great!

Below is the rest of the story about my cholesterol.  Feel free to skip, it is nerdy lipid stuff.  

Cholesterol:  Do you recall my 1 year post VSG (Dec 2015) numbers?  I didn't think so.   My total was 497 and LDL 447 which was a tripling of my usual numbers.   Blood draw repeated multiple times in various ways.  It was not lab error. 

Late Feb 2016:  labs repeated, we expected numbers to normalize because I had been eating "normally" (maintenance calories, no longer in ketosis) since Christmas.  But, alas, they were just as high.  Very depressing.  I still refused medication which was ok with providers in the short term since I don't have a long history of super high cholesterol, etc etc. 

March 2016:  I attended a lipid conference, because, irony of ironies, I am an official lipidologist and it was part of my job.  My own personal lipidologist was also there and we queried experts (lipids/obesity/WLS/genetics) in the field.  We didn't tell them they were my personal numbers.  

No one had ever seen such a thing. One guy is an editor of a lipid journal and offered to help publish a case study.  Another guy who does primary lipid research and is also on guiding committee for national lipid and obesity guidelines wants the numbers e-mailed to him.  His official first response was BIZARRE!  Standing before him, I could practically feel the cholesterol bubbling in my blood, untreated.  He said that "receptors must be blown" but also noted that he has no idea how WLS would affect those.  (He was referring to the receptors that clear the LDL from the blood)

I was beginning to realize I might need a statin AND one of the new fancy (expensive) cholesterol medications. I refused Ca Scoring to access risk because I have already had so much radiation in the past for breast cancer staging/surveillance.  My providers were getting restless -- not treating with statin feels reckless and pointless.    I was still unwilling to pull the trigger to start med. (At the end of the day, I am just like any other patient.  Human.)

I was beginning to feel like WLS/WL diet normalized my weight but broke me in another way.  An asterisk attached to my success that makes any reasonable person question if it was worth it. 

April 2016:  my cholesterol numbers normalized!  Happiness all around.  Also, HDL now high 70's, it typically runs in the 40's (low for a girl) no matter my weight.  I wonder if it up regulated in my body's WTF response to an LDL of 447. 

Have a great day!  Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Paula1965
on 5/4/16 9:51 am
VSG on 04/01/15

That is super BIZARRE! So glad things normalized for you - but the nerd in me wants to know your new numbers - not just that they are normal!

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/16 11:05 am

Curiosity piqued. Need numbers! I struggle with the whole cholesterol thing myself. I decided to put myself back on a statin when given the option. I have a little of the "Better Living through Chemistry" philosophy coursing through my veins! 

JoeyJo
on 5/4/16 8:00 am - NJ

194.  12 more pounds to get back onto my detoured path.  Trending back down because I am sticking to my plan like glue for the next 7 weeks, at which time I will reassess. I left a message with my surgeon's office and will schedule my two year checkup for around June 24th.

I cooked the cod that was leftover from the debacle Monday night in a frying pan with a little butter and garlic. It looked like it was done, but I covered it and let it sit for 10 minutes in the hot frying pan.  It was incredibly good.  Unfortunately, my son would not eat it, but I am still going to make this often for myself.  Steamed spinach would have been perfect with it.  I will pick up some fresh spinach to eat with tonight's leftovers.

ocean4dlm
on 5/4/16 8:35 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Still 129.8. pushed water like crazy yesterday. Should have worn compression stocking yesterday, but will do today... and drink... and stay the course. Sadie is trying so hard to be a trooper. It's been raining here for like five straight days. She asks to go out, and we navigate down four stairs then go to the front yard, because it is not additional stairs, and is closer. She just is having trouble relieving herself while leashed. She gets tired, and wants to lay down in the wet grass. Poor sweetie.  Will continue to love her up !

Thinking of you Lorna !

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Spencerella
on 5/4/16 9:03 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Sweet Sadie is trying so hard to get better!  A big wet mushy kiss on her nose from me please!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/16 11:07 am

Give Sadie a big loving from me! Have you taken the Cone of Shame off for her excursions out to pee and poop? If not, it might help a great deal.

I trust my dogs to understand to leave wounds be - and so far so good all these years- and leave the cones off. For some reason my overly sensitive King of the Terriers dogs can't handle the Cone of Shame. They stand as if  paralyzed when they wear it. Can you trust Sadie to be kind to her wound? 

ocean4dlm
on 5/4/16 12:30 pm - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Oh Devon.... I wish I could.... but I can't. She is a bit OCD, like her mom. She will lick and lick, and lick. Once the cone is off... for any time... it will be catastrophic to have it back on. Both Vets, and I agree based on previous experience, feel that she'll be able to work around the air collar and get to her wound, too. Because the risk of infection means a high potential for more surgery (bone infection) , I have to do tough love now. We're going to have to tolerate the cone as long as possible, reducing the risk for infection as long as possible. Every 12 hour chunk gets us closer. I have to trust that she knows I love her unconditionally, and I have to make decisions in her best, long term interests. Thanks for sharing what works for you. Yellow labs are a different breed... not a lot of logi****il about five.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!