VSG Maintenance Group

Wed, 5/18

Shel25
on 5/18/16 5:10 am

Sleep is for sissies.

Glad Sadie is improving.  DianeO, good luck at today's appointments (I think your annual is today?) 

You ALL are fabulous.  Be proud of what you are.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

momsy55
on 5/18/16 6:25 am - ME

Good morning!

Shel, sorry you're still having sleep issues - that stinks!

Weight is the same today.  Still full of you know what - did have a little relief, but not nearly enough.  Food was clean yesterday, so I'm okay with it.  I tried on the dress I bought online for a fancy wedding we're going to in June and it fit and looked good - Yay!! I got 3" heels to go with it, and will probably kill myself trying to get around on them!  :)  It's been many years since I wore heels - even got married in flats.  Oh well, life if for adventures!!

Recital practice went well last night - no major blunders.  I did turn once a bit too enthusiastically, and when I tried to correct it, I almost fell over.  A friend in class apologized after for laughing when that happened - I hadn't noticed, but I was laughing too and all was good.  Tonight is a marathon for my oldest.  Her BFF's mom and I will both be there watching - it's traditional for us and their last year, so I'm not missing it!  It's the oldest's first anniversary with her first boyfriend, and they had plans for the break she has between assisting with the 1st year class and her practices, for a romantic dinner.  He ust got a new job and has to work, so she and I will probably go out for dinner.  I'm commiting to a salad with protein, if we go!

Happy hump day!

Hugs, Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

ocean4dlm
on 5/18/16 9:01 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I just returned from my one year post VSG (5/15) check up with my bariatric team.  I have lost 143 pounds since my initial consult in February of 2015.  I have successfully maintained that loss for almost five months... the longest I have ever been in a healthy BMI range.  Man, is that healthy BMI range for a 5' 5" woman a vast one !  (115-149 pounds) Most of that maintenance has been between 126-129 pounds, a BMI of 21.

A recent BOD POD body composition analysis indicated a fat composition of 14.3% . My bariatric team felt a BMI of 21, combined with my at-risk fat level meant I need to gain weight and increase fat. They requested that I gain sixteen pounds and get to a BMI of 24. They also wanted me to decrease high activity days to two days per wee****il I had regained at least ten pounds. I said that a BMI of 24 was out of the question. They said a BMI of 21 was out of the question. They went on to explain that BMI tables don't take into consideration the heavier bone mass most formerly obese individuals have, as a result of carrying around all of that excess weight for so long. Additionally, most formerly obese individuals who have lost 100+ pounds, have a minimum of 6-8+ pounds of excess skin. Those two factors combined mean our "true weight" equalized to the "normies" the BMI tables are built around is actually one BMI level down from our scale weight. I replied that a BMI of 24 was still not something I could do. I agreed to two lower activity days per week and a BMI straddling 22 & 23. I was asked to define "straddle". I said I could commit to trying 134-138. They were willing to try that, pending the results of today's labs, and gave me two months to get to a minimum of 134 ( six pounds). They were puzzled and concerned that my fat composition had dropped so drastically since January, with the loss of 12 pounds. I have to weigh in with my PCP every two weeks, and have to see my bariatric team again in late July.

I feel like I retained control of my options and my body. Thanks for being my sounding board, as I work through this process. I'm putting this entry here, and in my blog. Moving forward, the actual work toward my new plan will be in my blog only. I'll continue to post and participate on the Maintenance Board, and will soon rejoin the maintenance challenge we all remain so committed to !!

Diane

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Spencerella
on 5/18/16 10:02 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Diane I'm glad you held your ground with your Bariatric team today. Like Diane S., I'm not convinced that it's time for drastic action. The trend is much too new and I'm highly suspect of the Bod Pod results.  Hey, maybe you can use this as an excuse to get them to send you further afield (and pay for) for a DEXA!  Lol. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Shel25
on 5/18/16 10:44 am, edited 5/18/16 3:59 am

Shared decision making at work! I'm glad you are moving forward.  It sounds like both sides had done a lot of thinking prior to the appointment.  That's a good thing. 

To add onto Linda's comment about insurance and Dexa.  My dexa-gal (for lack of a better label) said their bread and butter clients are athletes (who self pay) and patients with anorexia (whose insurance pays.)  

edited!  came back to the computer to say that I am saying that there MIGHT be coverage for Dexa for medical reason (I am NOT saying that I think you are anorexic!!!!) 

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

brownblonde
on 5/18/16 11:44 am

First off, woohoo 1 year!  I remember how exciting that was.  

That's very interesting from your Drs.  I had never heard about a "formerly obese adjusted bmi" so to speak.  I do know that the skin from my stomach alone (and I've seen much MUCH worse than what I had) was 4.8lbs.  And I definitely have more elsewhere that I did not get chopped off.  I'm interested about the "bone density" from carrying around so much weight.  I have heard that obese people have better bone density (does this mean less osteoporosis?) but had never heard either of these put in that context.  

I'm not sure how instructive bmi tables are whatsoever...but I guess we have to have something to point to, eh?

Did they give you any idea on how to accomplish your weight gain in a smart and nutritious fashion?  Are you thinking you'll eat more often?  More calorie dense foods?  Or more bulk?

Shel25
on 5/18/16 1:12 pm

Yes, higher bmi typically results in increased bone density and less osteoporosis 

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/16 12:57 pm

Glad you stood your ground on what will work for you. I like that you are taking care of the emotional side of the weight issue along with acknowledging that you may need to make some changes. I can only imagine the stress this information has caused you over the last week. 

Ah, BMI range... that picture I posted yesterday showed me at a weight at least 15 pounds over a 24.9 BMI. Yeah, I'm not so hot on the whole BMI thing. I do think the range works for many people, but not all. Maybe forget about the BMI since it's a sensitive # for most of us. Concentrate on just what your new plan and let it take you where you want to go. 

BTW - I still think this is part of your maintenance. You're learning to live with a whole new set of cir****tances around your health now that you're no longer obese. To me it's all part of life long maintenance. Technically, my journey back from hefty regain wasn't maintenance in a sense, but here I was (and am). Each of you here made it so much easier to deal with every day. 

Ivorybird
on 5/18/16 9:36 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

Makes me really mad.  Calories have been between 800-1000 all week and this makes only down 1.9 since my meeting with Dr. C.  Bouncing all over the place the past few days.

Yesterday had some great low calorie but really salty food so I'm sure some of this is water, but it's really frustrating doing all the things and the scale refusing to cooperate with my grandiose expectations!  The nerve! 

I have to remember it's not going to be like the initial weight loss from before - and that I'm in this for the long haul, you know all the things we should be telling ourselves and keeping in mind.   

Can you tell I was absent the day they passed out patience?

Anyway, happy Wednesday!

Surgery Date 9/19/13 Dr. Cirangle

HW 267.8  SW 261 GW 155 Blog:http://onwardanddownwardsf.weebly.com

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

diane S.
on 5/18/16 9:37 am

Hi all

Well its 131 today. The "elevator" pound went down a floor. Guess if I really want to go down more I need to use the stairs more. 

Dentist today in an hour or so. gotta do heavy duty brushing job but first must consume coffee. 

Diane O your description of your bariatric team conference is so interesting.  I can't imagine my surgeon, Dr. Cirangle, insisting on a higher bmi or fat percentage. When my bmi was down to 20 he thought that was fine.  Lots  of athletes have body fat lower than 14%. I think my younger brother is about 9% as he works out a lot. You may well experience a little rebound and I think thats why Dr. Cirangle doesn't get too worried about low bmi.  I think he once told us that 21.5 is considered ideal bmi.   

Anyway its your body and your life so do what feels right.  Again, you are fairly new to being at this range and your body may have its own plans. Glad you feel good about it. 

Got a call from my mom's roommate who wanted to put me on the phone with my mom because my mom would not believe that she was 90 years old nor that her mother was dead and in heaven.  So we talked about those things in a gentle way. So sad that she is fading. I told her to have her friend show her the pictures of her mother.  New service seems to be ok but its only two days. 

And the countdown begins to puppy blast off Monday. Life as we know it will be over. Boy are our two dogs in for a big surprise. Diane S.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/