VSG Maintenance Group

Tuesday June 7

carbondated
on 6/7/16 4:31 am

morning everyone

good discussion about our great ability to gain weight seemingly in a flash and have difficulty taking it off.   And very sorry about you SIL.  Very sad.  And as for you teachers, way to go.   Schools in my province close at end of this month and reopen first week of Sept.  

Calories yesterday were 1089 and steps 10, 438.    

moving forward.  

Paula1965
on 6/7/16 5:09 am
VSG on 04/01/15

128.6. Did good calories wise and choice wise until after dinner and then all went downhill from there. Funny thing is that evening isn't usually the tough time for me. No exercise yesterday. Doesn't look like I will be going into vacation on the lighter side. Maybe I should copy Carbon's calories and steps - then I would have a fighting chance!

I'm working M-F this week - yuck. Our sister hospital (and the one where I spent most of my career) needs help so I am working there my 2 days off. Commute is much shorter 10 minutes vs. 40 and it should not be a full day, so hopefully I can get a good workout in.

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

ocean4dlm
on 6/7/16 5:13 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

131.6        Up 2.6 pounds overnight, with 1300 on plan calories yesterday, 123 carbs.  I am retaining water... have not been wearing compression stockings with sandals and capris/skirts.  May have to rethink that.

One of the maintainers on MFP recommends taking an "unearned" jump like this, and not considering it as a "true weight" until maintained for three days.  My initial thought is that three days seems like a long time, but if I add the caveat of being extra vigilant about weighing and measuring on plan eating for those three days while "solidifying data", I am willing to try that.  My old tapes tell me I "did something wrong" and "being so focused does me no good", but I am learning to observe and find trends in my body's fluctuations.  The logic in me knows this is not an earned jump, and tomorrow will tell a different story.  Knee jerk reactions don't promote sustaining healthy eating in maintenance.  Calm.... focused.... objective....    we've got this !!!

Again, positive thoughts for all of us, extras for those facing challenges. Keep moving forward !!!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Shel25
on 6/7/16 5:49 am

You and I are professional water weight retainers.....give yourself more than 3 days to work it down.  You know I am serious because I went to the trouble of changing the font!   

I'm not necessarily recommending the following idea because my compression stockings may not be as heavy duty as yours and I have seen in various places that what I am about to suggest is a bad idea.   But, on rare occasion, I have worn them to bed, overnight.  I would say that about 1/2 the time I wake up in the middle of the night and they are annoying me so I take them off.  

Even if worn for 1/2 the night, this works beautifully.  By the way, I usually rip them off in the bathroom because I have to pee....I find that whole scenario comforting.  I don't KNOW that I am peeing out the retained water because I have been wearing the compression stockings but I still like to think that there is cause and effect.

If that seems a bad idea, maybe just getting in a couple of hours of wear at home here and there would be helpful.

May you find peace, today.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

brownblonde
on 6/7/16 6:59 am

Agree on the knee-jerk reaction.  Very unhappy with the scale right now.  But in all reality I know I just need to keep doing what I'm doing.

Spencerella
on 6/7/16 3:47 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

All good, sister!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Shel25
on 6/7/16 5:37 am

Happy Tuesday to you guys! 

122.9 this morning.

I agree that most (all?) of us formerly obese gain weight more quickly than the rest of the population.  Nice to have others agree with that:  you all plus obesity experts and science. 

Whether it was born into us or body defending our former fat or a combination of both, who knows?  Or, maybe some little microbes which are increasingly thought to drive many body systems in ways that science is just only beginning to gleam.

Bu****er weight, I get! Besides having personal experience, a few of the drugs I manage promote fluid retention and it drives people (all people!) batty.  The tide (ha!) always turns and can take up to a couple of weeks when something like travel/extra sodium is involved.

Wish I could put my microbiome to work for me, that might keep me thin and make me rich.  Don't worry, I'll give away my invention to y'all for free.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

brownblonde
on 6/7/16 6:58 am

Agree to ick on water weight.

Down a little (not nearly enough!) to 163.4 today.

Despite being almost back up to my original weight before all the work, I feel pretty calm about it.  I feel pretty healthy and having a good relationship with food day.  One thing I regret is going from diet straight into vacation mode.  That is a recipe for disaster!  The first couple days I could feel myself force feeding "because I could."  Because it was a vacation and because I was no longer on my diet.  A lot of fitness bloggers that I follow on youtube do a "refeed" wherein they come back out of their "cutting" phase incrementally.  I think that's probably a much better way to go about it.

Anyway, yesterday wasn't super restrictive, but definitely conscious.  I think I may need to take a week or two reminding myself how to eat mindfully without being so restrictive. 

B:  1/2 english muffin, 1 poached egg, coffee with creamer

L:  McDonald's grilled chicken southwest salad with salsa as my dressing

S:  2 servings graham crackers (upset stomach)

D:  3-4 oz. grilled steak, grilled asparagus, piece of watermelon

I also picked up Arcti****  Has anyone tried it?  I had just a spoonful yesterday of the banana pudding.  1/2 c. is 75 calories, and 300 calories for the whole pint.  They have other flavors that are only 35 calories per serving, and even list the calories for the whole pint.  I was pretty impressed considering I expected it to taste watery.  Ice cream never was a problem food for me, and even less so now that I'm lactose intolerant.  Anyway, heads up on this as we get into summertime.

diane S.
on 6/7/16 9:38 am

Greetings dear skinny peeps

Well my sister in law Darlene slipped into a coma yesterday and died about 4 hours later. Because of a variety of health problems they really could not do cancer treatments so they put her on palliative care and kept her free of pain. Her husband was still out of town and we are the only family here. Though she made no response, Michael called sisters, her husband and family members and put the iPhone to her ear so they could all say things. Some were so precious i wish i could have written them down. Her husband gets back today and we will see whats to be done. You all may remember she was SMO but had a health scare 18 months ago and had lost 150 lbs. I suspect the cancer was moving that weight loss right along but she did work hard at it and seemed to have improved her health so much. But she had avoided medical attention and advice for many years. Lesson learned: look after your skinny and your overall health as well. And cherish your family each day.

Hospital brought in a cart of coffee, tea, fruit and cookies while we sat with her. Nice gesture and we each ate a banana  and Michael ate a cookie. 

131.5 today. Can't seem to shake that couple of pounds loose.  Oh well. Have things to do and a puppy to chase. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Shel25
on 6/7/16 9:57 am

My gosh, seems so fast, must be hard for family to process?  I am very sorry for your loss.