VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » After the honeymoon...

After the honeymoon is over

Jenn H.
on 10/3/16 3:52 pm - Portland, OR

I had the VSG in March of 2011. I did really well going from 350 down to 175 (size 26 to 12). I then maintained 185, a size 12/14, and a really active lifestyle for over 2 years. It was really incredible during that time and I felt amazing, both physically and emotionally.

The past 2 or so years have not been as great, though. I still don't eat a lot, but a lot of it is sugars and other carbs and sweets. I am also far, far less active and very out of shape. I am also back in the 280s/size 18 with even minimal activity being difficult. It's bumming me out especially after all the work I did to get the surgery and change my lifestyle. A lot has happened emotionally (such as separation with upcoming divorce, finishing my bachelors, moving, applying for grad school, managing my current relationship, depression and such) that put me back into old and bad habits which I know I need to get through more than anything. I am struggling.

So, I am reaching out to see how other long termers are doing. Have any of you fallen off track? Have any of you fallen off track but then got back on? Tips and tricks besides what I am already doing such as taking it one day at a time, tackling life issues, going to therapy, trying to move a little more and eat less sugar?

diane S.
on 10/3/16 4:20 pm

Welcome to our group. Sorry you are having issues. If you scroll though prior posts you will see lots of posts about those who have struggled with regain. Also recommendations on books such as Refuse to Regain and others.  Kairk had an especially good post on the main vsg forum dealing with addressing regain.

Its ultimately up to you though I totally understand your stress and eating issues. We play the cards we are dealt I guess. You might go back to tracking and eating the way you did 3 months out of surgery plus 200 calories. My surgeon does a veggie juice cleanse once or twice a year to kind of reset metabolism. I have not done that but you might look into it. 

Ultimately you have to design your own set of eating guidelines that you can live with. For example, I do pretty well at avoiding sweets (and I used to be one big peanut butter cup) but nuts and cheese are my downfall so I just have to limit them.

GL.  start checking in here often. Its good to have a support group.  Consider therapy since you have been though a lot.

Diane s

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 10/4/16 9:35 am

Hi,

I understand exactly where you are. While my life cir****tances are different from yours, the stressors are similar and the results have been, too.

While I did deal with emotional upset and some depression around my regain I never lost hope that I would eventually come to understand and get my obesity into remission. I have always been thankful to my VSG for more than weight loss. VSG has taught me how profound my weight/food issues are and my post VSG experience has caused me to choose a path of learning about obesity issues to better understand myself. With that understanding has come a huge sense of relief, acceptance and forgiveness. A great deal of what has happened to me food wise was not a failing of character, but rather a physiological/biological/chemical/hormonal drive due to the changes in my body from becoming obese. At some point obesity becomes a self-fulfilling cycle and for some it is very, very hard to reset the brain chemistry function.

Earlier this year I was about 15 pounds above my goal weight. I had lost a bunch and was feeling great. Then stress and 8-10 weeks of little sleep, relaxed exercise routine and during that time and over the following months I put back on 20 pounds. But you know what? Weight is not static.

I'm dealing with a lot right now. Dialing back on my food intake is not a super high priority. My weight is stable (as far as my clothes are concerned) and that is a good thing.

If I can offer you any advice at all, it would be to accept that you have food issues and be okay with that. Food has been a companion and a comfort and a well honed coping mechanism for a very long time. Food has kept you safe in certain ways, but now the food no longer serves the same purpose because now you realize your relationship with food is hindering the way you wish to live your life. Become okay with this and move forward from this point. Without the acceptance, change can't happen.

Please stick around. This is a good place to simply put it out there and get it out of your head. We are a supportive bunch and there is no judgment. Sure, we may push a point sometimes, but we are not judgmental.

jaded123
on 11/3/16 7:31 am, edited 11/3/16 12:41 am - MD

Yes.  Another long-timer here.  I had VSG in April 2011.  Lost 130 lbs, got to size 10  (from a 24.)

First three years, did great with food and exercise.  Year four, began snacking (serious snacking) and gained 20.

Year five, another 20.  I'm now size 16.  Hard to admit because I'm ashamed.  

So back on the wagon.  Just bought a Total Gym ... it's one of the only exercise things I like to do.  Also have a NordicTrack ski machine that I like.  Hubby set up a gym for us in our spare room.  I'm back to exercising, eating low carb.  It's HARD to lose weight now, whereas the first few years were soooo easy. 

HW: 310 /  Lost 15 on pre-op diet  /  SW: 295  /  CW: --- /  GW: 170-175