VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Sunday November 20 ...

Sunday November 20 - 3 Days of Wor****il Vacation

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/20/16 4:17 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

119.75 - I guess I didn't overeat at dinner last night, but I think I under-drank water.  Very thirsty this morning.  The restaurant we went to last night was great (found it on TripAdvisor) and the Tom Rush concert equally so.  It was in a very small forum and what a great show he gives!  But it was HOT in the venue (even to me who is always cold these days) and I didn't have any water. I should have remembered that from the last time we went to a concert there. At that time I was almost 100 pounds heavier and was sweating.

My thirst makes me wonder: pre weight loss I used to drink minimal water to avoid trips to the bathroom.  Now I drink way more than 64 ounces a day and am thirsty a lot (and not really in the bathroom all that frequently).  Is it because I am used to drinking that much now, because my body now recognizes thirst better, or is it a result of the surgery itself?  My oldest daughter had an ileostomy for the last 6 months and she was constantly thirsty.  Same with a friend who had colon cancer and had part of his colon removed.  I may ask this question on the general forum, but what are your thoughts?

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

carbondated
on 11/20/16 4:45 am

Morning Dave and Liz and those to follow:

we seem to be having the cold / flu go- round not only here on this board but also in our small town.  People are coming down (sometimes literally ) in droves.   Hope that those who are sick  feel better soon. 

A busy day calories 1487 and steps only 6999.  

Craft fares were wonderful and costly.  Lots of very talented hard working people.

the rain continues. 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/20/16 4:52 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm going to a craft fair today too.  Change in weather always seems to bring in the colds/flus.  I too hope everyone feels better soon!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Shel25
on 11/20/16 7:03 am

124's today.  Good yoga and steps yesterday.  I can also report the kitchen is now reorganized whi*****luded emptying and wiping down every cabinet/drawer.  And I cleaned the dishwasher which was horrible enough that I looked for reasons to simply replace it with a new one.  

Liz, my thirst today is the same as it was pre-VSG.  Except for coffee, I don't want to drink fluids.  I do force myself to drink post VSG.  I don't know if you have decided where you want your general weight range to be, but don't be afraid to add some calories.  A little bit of good fat goes a long way.

Speaking of good fat, peanut butter and I have been on a break and it hasn't been in the house.  But, DD has been asking for it so I will buy it today.  I know I can have it occasionally.....but I still don't feel I am ready to make up with it.  With all the holiday offerings around, I have been feeling mighty triggered.   

Protect your skinny!

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/16 9:15 am

I go through phases of Peanut Butter Love myself. Like Diane S. I will have a blop (heaping tablespoon) before bed. Not the best habit ever. Right now our relationship has cooled down some and I'm back to having a bit of PB once a week or every other week. I totally understand your hesitancy. I should never, ever eat ice cream because my passion for it is ridiculous. I'm like an alcoholic who goes on binges. I have dry periods and relapses. At least I'm understanding better the disfunction in my food life. In the long run it makes it easier to manage on an everyday basis. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/16 9:05 am, edited 11/20/16 1:06 am

Well, Hell's Bells! I had a rather good food day yesterday: 3 meals, no snacking, decent portions, and two bites of desert at the restaurant. I'm up precisely 3 pounds over night!  Even at dinner, I ate only 2 bites of mashed potatoes, instead rather concentrating on the meat and kraut. Oh, well, I must not let a minor fluctuation color my day. I must let it motivate me to drink lots and lots of water and focus on protein! 

Legs and traps and lats are very sore/tight this morning. Must be a lot of repair going on. 

Here a great example of "sliders": I can eat a single jumbo hard boiled egg and feel satisfied. Not full, but satisfied. I can eat two of the same size eggs over easy and feel as if a third or fourth would do no harm. Scrambled I can also eat two easily. However, if I make a small omelet with meat and a bit of cheese I can only manage one egg. I find it interesting how the method of preparation can really influence how much we are able to eat. Pre VSG I don't think we ever paid much attention to things like that. Now I'm almost hyper aware. 

We got Ron his apple pie ingredients last night. Here's hoping it's an utter flop! 

Thirst level lately has been much the same as pre VSG. I have to push to get more than 48 oz in of clear water lately. I have two cups of coffee each day, too, so technically I'm making my goal, but I always feel better with 8-10 glasses of water per day. I do know that when I am drinking a lot of water I need more water to stay hydrated. This is because our bodies do not store extra water when we are giving our bodies what they need in fluid each day. Normal water retention comes from a lack of hydration and the body hanging on to stores for a rainy day. (This of course, does not include water retention for medical reasons...) 

ocean4dlm
on 11/20/16 9:22 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

139. Finally flushing all of the salt from the G2 prep out of my body.  My hiatal hernia is 6 cm and a large polyp was removed from my colon. My esophagus looks fine. My gastro referred me back to my surgeon, as he won't touch a repair associated with a VSG. He believes strongly that the original surgeon should do any revisions to that procedure.

Lots of cleaning today... garage and home office. Hope to get Sadie out for a long walk, as long as the snow doesn't turn to rain.

Positive thoughts to all under the weather. 

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/16 11:38 am

Did you talk to the gastro doc about your lack of faith in the original surgeon? That is a huge issue, IMO. Perhaps you can find a top notch surgeon who will take you on. I'm curious, would the gastro surgeon leave you high and dry if your original surgeon had retired, died or moved out of state? Hoping you get this hiatal hernia resolved ASAP. 

Hugs.

Paula1965
on 11/20/16 12:03 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

123.6 up .2, so essentially the same. No idea my weight has been so consistent. Lack of exercise has kept my appetite at bay.

Couching it with the puppies today.

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

diane S.
on 11/20/16 12:04 pm

Greetings Nongrazing Good People

Grazing is for cows, not people. Right? 

Even with no grazing yesterday I am back to 133. Gotta take my own advice and not wig out about half pound fluctuations. Made lentil soup last night with a bit of turkey bacon. Quite good.  Its raining and I have a feeling its the all day kind which triggers the soup need.

Thanks for everyone's kind remarks on my 7 years. Can't believe I forgot about it until a day later. Like forgetting my birthday. 

Someone was asking me for puppy advice yesterday, and while I was able to help her, I also realized what a brat our puppy is. Definitely gotta work on puppy manners. Her teeth have come in beautifully and boy does she like to use them. She is chewing up a piece of junk mail - I guess thats one way to shred stuff. 

Well our football team won big so thats good. 

I find I am more thirsty after vsg. I always like to have a nice icy cold bottle of water around. Some meds I take may  dry my mouth but I can't stand going anywhere for very long without some water. 

Diane O, good luck with whatever you decide. Hope you can get some help. Sorry for those of you with colds. I take those cold-eeze zinc lozenges (or maybe its zycam) at the first hint of a cold and I swear they help. I always take one when getting on an airplane too.

Diane S

P.S. Someone said I was a HUGE inspiration. I like to think of my self as a petite inspiration LOL.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/