VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Recipe - Low carb &...

Recipe - Low carb "waffles"

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/17 12:48 pm, edited 1/7/17 12:49 pm

So I made the recipe and ate it for breakfast/brunch. I topped the waffle with 1/4 cup wild blueberries and 1/4 Non Fat Greek Yogurt sweetened with Splenda. 

It looked like a waffle, but the taste and texture was not exactly what one might consider "waffle". Ron tasted it and found it too eggy and did not like the texture. I found that the texture was a bit grainy, but not offensive. The initial taste flavor was mild egg and the finish was a coconut flavor. I will say the flavor and texture grew on me as I ate it. What I like is that I am completely satisfied and maybe just a bit more full than is good, but I like the fact that I have both a mental and physical sense of satiety. 

This was not an OMG, I must make this again tomorrow recipe. But I will make it again and I can see how coconut flour might become a staple in a low carb diet. 

Here's the recipe, if you're so inclined. 

Ingredients

2 egg whites plus 1 extra egg white (or 1 whole egg)

2 Tablespoons of coconut flour

2 Tablespoon milk of choice (I used non fat)

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

sweetener to taste, optional (I used 1 tsp Splenda)

Directions

Whip 2 of the egg whites to stiff peaks. You can either use a hand mixer, an egg beater, or a whisk if you want a workout. Once you have stiff peaks, stir in the coconut flour, milk of choice, baking powder, sweetener, and either 1 whole egg OR 1 egg white (depending on how much fat you want the waffles to have). Heat up your waffle iron to the highest temperature, and grease or spray it with nonstick spray. Pour in the batter (You can do it in two batches if you need to.), and cook in the waffle iron until browned, about 3-4 minutes. Pull it out, top as desired, and eat!

Stats (Livestrong.com recipe generator):

protein - 13.8 grams; carbs - 11.5; fiber - 7 (net carbs 4.5); fat - 3.2

Total calories 118

The blog from which I got the recipe had different stats: 20 grams protein, 2.5 net carbs, 121 calories

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/8/17 4:16 am, edited 1/7/17 8:20 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'll have to try this! Do you think you could use eggbeaters instead of egg whites (do they whip)?

Added after googling: Apparently eggbeaters will whip, but it will take more time so they won't be as "stiff" - they tend to cause a denser end result.  If I try this with them I'll let you know how they come out!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/17 8:19 am

You can buy egg whites in a carton. Like eggbeaters, but just the whites. That's what I would do, if you didn't want to separate the egg. BTW - the discarded yolks got zapped in the microwave and given to the dogs for dinner. I never waste food when avoidable! 

stephanieplum
on 1/8/17 4:58 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

Looks delish!!!