VSG Maintenance Group

March 7 Tuesday

carbondated
on 3/7/17 4:40 am

Good morning everyone

a good day until 10pm and the siren call of sugar caught me. And then of course unable to sleep. However walked for two hours so that helped a bit.

Kairk where are you?

Enjoy this Tuesday.

Shel25
on 3/7/17 5:10 am

Morning!

No weight today, DH was in the way. Not his fault, I am getting up at same time as him with a schedule change.

Schedule change: 4 10's.....new experience. Not sure if I will like but I already worked 10 hours (at least) most days anyway. Definitely will limit available yoga classes so I need to better utilize my home yoga-glo subscription.

Buster's foot is doing better and he has been tolerant of his foot soak each night. Such a good boy.

Paula, thinking of you. The underlying stress is tremendous. Hope that ear is feeling better, I cry FOUL that is adding more worry to the week.

Better get going if I am going to get my home yoga done this morning. (Sometimes I watch the yoga class when I am at home. I'm pretty sure that isn't effective.)

Hope peeps find a way to de-stress and heal what ails you.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

VSGAnn2014
on 3/7/17 5:35 am, edited 3/6/17 9:35 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Weight today: 135.6

Macronutrients: Cals - 1,901, Carbs - 234, Fat - 76, Protein - 91, Sugar - 106, Fiber - 45

Veggies/fruits yesterday: 8 (goal is 7)

Exercise yesterday: Aquarobics and spring clean-up (raking and hauling 7 Gator-loads of leaves)

Plans for today: Much more yardwork and storm clean-up, crosswords with hubby,

What a night! Big storms and tornado watches and warnings much of the night. We spent an hour in our storm shelter. But we were spared any damage, other than limbs down, and are lucky we did not lose power.

This morning I'm tired, so I will skip yoga class and spend my energy working outside.

The storms here can be very bad, and we are 100% compliant with emergency management instructions. Ten years ago a tornado skipped right over our house, then coming back to ground 300 yards beyond us and destroying two homes over the next hill.

BTW, around midnight as we were anticipating the approach of a tornado predicted to pass only a few miles from us, hubby and I were both ravenous. It didn't feel like "head hunger," but our bodies' signals to generate energy to prepare for likely physical challenges.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

roxytrim
on 3/7/17 11:23 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Very interesting about the "disaster" hunger.

VSGAnn2014
on 3/7/17 11:32 am
VSG on 08/14/14

No kidding! The instinct was strong. BTW, I had a turkey sandwich, and he had a protein drink.

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/7/17 5:58 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

117.25, calories 1389. In the office today so quick update only.

Sorry you still aren't sleeping Carbon. Paula, thinking about you and DH.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

brownblonde
on 3/7/17 8:59 am

Hi all. Just checking in.

I think my body is broken. When the scale tipped over the "overweight" bmi line after Christmas, I decided I had to watch it. Sure enough a couple pounds of christmas weight came off right away. But then nothing. Despite calorie counting. So I decided to take a all guns firing approach. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor, convinced my husband to join the gym with me and hired a personal trainer a little over 2 weeks ago. In reality I'm only up about 10lbs. from a weight I comfortably maintained (15 from lowest ever), but still. I've set micro goals of (what was at the time) 10 weeks until Hawaii vacation, 13 weeks until 7th surgiversary, and approx. 6 1/2 months to be in the "best shape of my twenties."

The doctor did an "in-body" assessment (which is supposed to be the next best thing to the water weight deal) and much to my disappointment, though not disbelief, my bmr is only 1404. I am also horribly sedentary. I have an office job, park right outside the door. Many days I don't get even 3,000 steps.

I know I haven't been far from the mark the past 6 years as I've been slowly gaining. (and most of last year I was at 159/160, so really just 5 lbs. plus 5lbs. over the holidays that WILL NOT come off). So that's the good news. I figured I'm not eating too far above my maintenance calories, though they are depressingly low.

So after January of not seeing any real movement, and explaining my history to the doctor, he prescribed me phentermine to help with what must be a difficult caloric deficit and the warning that I must make additional changes. I am proud to say that in 15 days since my husband joined the gym with me, we have worked out 10 times!! Including twice during our 3-day weekend to Miami, before Friday date night, etc. I'm super proud of us! I'm actually enjoying it. Although I've always lived by "protein first", I've been really enforcing that (I still eat carbs though, and always will long as I draw breath). I've cut out weeknight wine/alcohol, and only had a couple glasses of wine (accounted for) this weekend. I've also eliminated eating out at lunch unless it's to the barbecue restaurant where I get smoked turkey breast and green beans. I've been good since January and REALLY GOOD for a little over 2 weeks. For an example, my calories yesterday were 1,036.

I didn't expect too much. I'd hoped to lose 1lb. per week. But I was prepared for it to be less. But I wasn't prepared for nothing!!! I'm so aggravated. I honestly do not feel that I can do more. And it's very hard to keep up this diet while there are donuts in the breakroom when I would normally indulge in one and maintain, and yet exercising and not eating one leads me to the same conclusion.

Hubby and I are committed to this for at least 3 months (about my surgiversary/Memorial Day). And I have a suspicion we're becoming exercise people. But I'm feeling very frustrated. My body never wanted to lose weight until WLS and now it's like it refuses to budge.

VSGAnn2014
on 3/7/17 9:23 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Hi, brownblonde. Nice to meet you.

I know that when I massively increase my exercise, I immediately gain weight. That's a famous result of intensive exercise and what usually sends new gym club members screaming away in February every year, never to return.

Yet all the "experts" insist that if we just hold on and hold out and keep on exercising (while also reducing our cals) we will eventually see the scale start to go down.

There are scores of articles online about this phenomenon.

brownblonde
on 3/7/17 9:38 am

Thanks and nice to "meet" you too. I just assumed that would only be for a few days, or that with enough of a caloric deficit it wouldn't matter. But since DH's weight is actually up, maybe that is the case. I know these are early days I just had hoped to have more to show for a big increase in effort. I tended to be able to lose weight with extreme dieting (at least imho--800-900 calories) and could definitely do that with the aid of phentermine. I would have LOVED to be at my lowest weight (about 15lbs. away) by surgiversary (at the start, that would've been about 1.25lbs. per week) but I guess if I must I'll "lose the battle to win the war." The inbody machine told me that I was 36% bodyfat, hence the low bmr. I've never been active and I think I lost a lot of muscle mass when I lost weight after surgery. But ultimately I think activity, and specifically weight training, will help in the long run. It's just so frustrating to say no to the donuts and know the scale won't reward me...at least not now.

JoeyJo
on 3/7/17 10:05 am - NJ

Sounds like the devil is at work here.