VSG Maintenance Group

Sat April 9

carbondated
on 4/29/17 2:07 am

Morning everyone

well, one of us forgot to mention that for Sat, today, that they had promised 12 doz cookies and two cakes, for a bake sale their team is having. Sigh.

Lots of crashing sounds in the kitchen. Am staying out of it but again little sleep is in the forecast.

walked a total of 5 hours and am weary.

food not great but today is a new day!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 4/29/17 3:01 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

When I saw your post at 5:45 am my time, I figured that meant another tough night for you. Sorry!

Weight 116.5, calories 1417. It still (after 62 years) amazes mes how I can be low in calories all day, then consume more than 50% of the days worth after 6 pm. Not all the time, but when they are high, often that's the case. I did look at my logging and average calories per week. It looks like 1300-1400 yields the least change in weight.

BIL and family (from Portland OR) are coming today to finish the transfer of MIL finances from DH. That will be a relief. We also need to talk about talking to MIL's doctor about Hospice. With her difficulties in swallowing and refusal to eat she probably doesn't have a lot of time. It would be good to get her under their care so that her facility won't keep trying to send her to the hospital and caretaker BIL can gain some better understanding of what is going on. He thinks that if he just finds the right protein drink she will improve (or her swallowing will miraculously get better). This BIL won't listen to ANYONE except the BIL taking over the finances.

Beyond the finance/family stuff we are planning a good visit. I will take Portland SIL and nephew downtown for a while (we have a really quaint town), then to local SIL house for visiting with other family coming here for the weekend. Dinner out at a waterside restaurant at the end of the day.

Enjoy your Saturday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

VSGAnn2014
on 4/29/17 6:45 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Weight: 135.6

Macros: Cals - 1,834, Carbs - 175, Fat - 64, Protein - 106, Sugar - 83, Fiber - 26

Veggies/fruits: 7 (goal is 7)

Sleep: 5

Exercise: None

Boy, having young people in the house who can eat anything and not gain weight sure is a calorie challenge for VSG maintainers! Could have been so much worse yesterday than it was.

It's going to be a Constant Vigilance Weekend, given all the unusual foods laying around and constant rain, which means no outdoor distractions or exercise.

The plan for today includes yoga at home, meal planning and tracking, and maybe going to the movies. Yeah, that's the ticket -- the movies. And I'm going to sleep before midnight tonight, since surely I won't have to stay up with the vampires two nights in a row. ;)

Carbon, good on you for staying out of the Bake Sale Scene. Great self control. :)

And Liz, good on you for letting the BILs deal with your MIL's situation. I was my mom's caregiver the last 12 years of her life and know well how heavily these stresses weigh on everyone. My mantra during those years: Everyone is doing the best they can. In the future they may be able to do better.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Paula1965
on 4/29/17 7:12 am
VSG on 04/01/15

137.6. Arm a little better. Was very swollen, painful and bruised yesterday. A co-worker snagged a compression wrap for me and now I am wearing it an my arm at least feels a little better. Revision on breasts went pretty good. A little bruising but very little pain!

Lights and backdrop all set up for taking pictures at Prom. Excited and nervous for DS#2. Have you seen the promposal sings etc. that kids do these days to ask each other to Prom? DS's "date" (she is just a good friend) made him a sign with cut out pictures of all of his favorite Drag Queens and had "Can I DRAG you to Prom?" in the middle. Super cute! They are going out for sushi all dolled up before the dance!

Yucky cold wet weather here today. I'm so ready for some sunshine - literal and figurative!

Love to you all!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

diane S.
on 4/29/17 10:35 am

Greetings Bake Sale Survivors

Gosh, rough night Carbon with all the noise and probably baking smells. Ear plugs recommended.

Still at 135. Pizza weight hanging on. Adjustments in order. I made spinach ricotta bake last night. I love it but I don't think its DH's favorite. Lots of protein and enough cheese to satisfy my cheese fix need.

Well Liz, quite the weekend plans. I agree your MIL should be at a hospice facility. My mom has been on hospice for quite some time and they really are a big help besides my moms private nurses. According to them, not eating is a sign things are drawing to a close. My mom has days when she won't eat but then days when she eats quite a bit. Swallowing is an issue too. So hard to deal with these issues long distance. Ann must have been even harder being physical care giver. I am busy enough with tax stuff and paper work for my mom.

Well the big toe that was attacked by the bottle of wine is now a rainbow of colors. But it doesn't hurt to walk so it should heal on its own.

Ann have fun with your guests. Beware of flying food.

Have a great weekend everyone free of chocolate vats. Its sunny and peaceful here I am listening to chorus of snoring of DH and dogs. Gotta go pick up dog meds which cost way more than mine and check on the sale at art studio. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Shel25
on 4/29/17 1:32 pm

Aloha! (I think Bonnie is in Hawaii now or very soon?)

I am my DD's +1 today as she drives from activity to activity with me in the passenger seat. I couldn't attend my usual Saturday yoga class but I didn't mind. In a couple of months she will have her full drivers license. I love watching her transform into a young adult but miss that kiddo in the back seat just as much.

Paula, DS#2 must be getting ready for tonight. I am excited for all of you! Love your photos on facebook, you are a lady of many talents.

Devon, how is sleep on Vyvanse? It is early, yet, so who knows how it will ultimately effect sleep, if at all. Just curious.

DianeS asked if anyone took Phen-fen back in the day. I did. It worked tho I think it diminished overtime. I can't remember why I stopped. At the time it wouldn't have been an easy sell to the doctor, it probably made me nervous to use it, I was "only" about 30-40 lbs overweight and I had to pay out of pocket for it.

Hug your skinny tight,

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/17 4:39 pm

Sleep was lighter the first night and was again last night. Last night I thought I had some trouble getting to sleep, but I really didn't. I felt like I had been in bed for quite some time, but saw it was only 15 minutes. I have had to pee at night more since taking the Vyvanse, though. But it could also be I'm drinking more. I mentioned in my post that I'm more drawn to liquid right now, so I'm drinking a lot of water, shakes, a little coffee (but that attraction is much lessened - I'm guessing the stimulant factor), and yesterday I had diet soda (Coke Zero). The Coke Zero has a flavor that appeals to me since starting the Vyvanse. I enjoy an occasional soda, but I had one on Thursday and another one on Friday. Very unusual for me.

Anyway, sleep is more like it was pre anti depressant - a bit more restless, more frequent awakening through out the night, lots of in and out sleep from 5:00 am on. I am hoping as I adjust to the med and the dose gets adjusted as necessary I will return to the deeper sleep I've been enjoying the past month or so.

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/17 4:25 pm

I suppose the most important news is that puppy girl has a real name. She is pretty, sweet, wild, and has a thorny or *****ly side. In other words, she's smart, wickedly feisty, clever, sweet, and learning to cuddly, but then explodes with determination when she is over it! I thought, too bad we can't call her Rosie (we already have one in the clan) because she's beautiful with a thorny side. Then it came to me: Bramble. And there you have it. If she stays with us, her name is Bramble. Ron likes it and so do I.

I am down 5 pounds since starting Vyvanse. I am not purposely dieting - I swear to you! However, making healthy choices that promote weight loss is extremely easy even in the face of less than optimal choices. I noticed that I am able to feel my restriction much like I did in the early days post VSG. Perhaps with the BED noise quieted I am able to sense what has been there all along. It could also be that since trigger foods are not terribly attractive at the moment, I'm eating more dense, pyloric valve closing food. I thought today I would track to see what my eating really is.

Interesting observation last night: I stayed up an hour later than I normally do. By the time I went to bed med had apparently worn off for the day and I had thoughts of putting something in my mouth before bed. Once I had the thought, the pull started to get stronger quickly. I took note that the feeling was stirring, acknowledged it - sort of a "Hello, old friend...", and quickly went to internal dialogue telling both my old friend and my conscious self that I didn't need to have anything to eat. It worked.

As usual, I'm writing in snippets over the hours. It was before 10 when I started. Now it's close to 4:30. Had to trim an Airedale at 10, take a break and then do an Irish Terrier at 2:00.

As the day goes on I am noticing I am more drawn to liquid than to food. I have been interested in (but not craving) Coke Zero. Go figure.... I made some berries and yogurt during my break, but the berries shut down my stomach pretty quickly. I had maybe a quarter cup when I got that feeling of the food pushing on my esophageal sphincter, so I stopped. I thin****il I get used to the new med I will have to add a second protein shake regularly. I had a second one yesterday and the day before, but it looks like it might take a while for things to settle into normal and I don't want to be protein deficient. Honestly, I thought earlier today that if I wanted to go to a liquid "pre op" diet, I could do it. I won't, but you know, I think I could. (I'm philosophically against liquid diets - except the immediate days post op when it is medically necessary.)

I'm having my second shake and am going to try to eat a little more yogurt and berries. I have yet another school food function tonight from 6-8. The PTA auctioned off seats at a BBQ at which I am the guest of honor. A dozen seats were offered at $50 a pop and they sold out. All I have to do is show up and have fun with the kids and parents who will be there - all current students. Should be fun and I have absolutely no worries on how to manage. Molecular miracles, indeed!

No exercise today, but excellent workout yesterday on my own. Tomorrow will be a hike around the Lafayette Reservoir with the Airedale club in the morning. Roughly 2.7 miles. Not really much exercise, but it will be enjoyable to be out with friends and dogs! I'm looking forward to that! I need a little fun and the weather is supposed to be delicious tomorrow.