VSG Maintenance Group

Wed August 2

carbondated
on 8/2/17 1:42 am

Good early morning everyone and welcome new joiners. Glad to have you with us.

great photos Kairk, lovely pooches.

The old saying:

A son is a son till he takes him a wife,

a daughter is a daughter for the rest of her life. Could be true.

the rest will be a rant:

today took a friend in to our local hospital, for an Ultrasound booking. Having played telephone tag trying to make this booking she decided to go in person. Now I know that there are wait times etc etc but really, the Dr had written urgent as this is a breast lump. And that is scary.

So the closest appt is early Sept.

When my friend gently remonstrated and said, ' you know, the Dr said it was urgent' the receptionist, without looking up from her computer, trotted out the party line about backlogs, staff shortages etc.etc.

ok, ok, you can't shoot the messenger but her rudeness was intolerable. Is it just me or are people in general ruder? ( have run into grocery clerks who were the same. One told me that my cloth grocery bag smelled! )

Yes our socialized medicine is free, and we are grateful but the wait times for everything is a scandal. The whole country is disgusted but nothing seems to be improving. Once you get into the system the care is fabulous but it is the getting that takes forever, unless of course it is trauma, heartattacks etc.

My friend is understandably upset and is going back to her Dr.

Thanks for letting me rant.

And may all of your wait times be much much shorter. And hopefully you won't need the services of the medical community in the first place.

ocean4dlm
on 8/2/17 3:20 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Carbon... justifiable rant from a compassionate friend ! BB...I feel a virtual baby shower coming on after the holidays (winter) and gender reveal. I agree... the back to school sales are killing me. I am not a fan of accelerating seasonal promotions/sales. I'll boycott the first place with Halloween displays ! Paula.. your sushi looks fabulous !! You so make me wish we all lived closer ! Dog cuddling and walking, hikes, yoga, new healthy recipes, yard/home challenges.... collectively we've got most things I can think of covered, and I know you all inspire me !!

So, I am trying to be more aware of combining two households and independent lives, from Chuck's point of view. Except for a few 24+ hour trips I made back to my old house to check in on things and mow, we have been together in the new house. Being retired, I have all day to unpack, putter, organize, reorganize, run out for a few things. Chuck has Fridays and Saturdays off, works 12-8 PM Sunday and Monday, then 8-4 M-Th. He really gets no alone time in our home. He is having difficulty expressing what he is feeling, but while he is very appreciative of everything I am doing to settle us in, it is frustrating to come home every day and see all of the progress he wasn't able to participate in. I never imagined myself as the "retired spouse", with a working partner.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/2/17 3:37 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Maybe your friends doctor can have the appointment moved up? In the US this happens as well because schedulers march to their own rules, so when it is a case of the doctor saying now vs. first available, it seems like the Dr usually has to intervene.

Weight 116.75, calories 1177.

I was in the office yesterday having yet another reorg conversation with the people reporting to me. We are all getting reorganization fatigue. 1/3 of their jobs is transferring out and the remaining work is totally out of the wheelhouse of one of them (but in the sweet spot for another). We have at least one more to go when our new department head finalizes his titles, job descriptions and organizational structure. It is likely that their titles, roles and potentially mine will change in the next one. The person not suited for the future role is hoping she will be laid off and the one retiring (and me) are hoping for the same. The manager between me and the department head is totally ill-suited for the future role, so he is dusting off his resume. Strange atmosphere to work in...

WFH today and tomorrow morning then off for the weekend. I've decided I'm not going in the office more than once a week now. What are they going to do? Fire me?

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

VSGAnn2014
on 8/2/17 4:44 am, edited 8/2/17 3:35 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Weight: 134.8
Macros: Cals - 1,703, Carbs - 202, Fat - 48, Protein - 112, Fiber ? 33
Veggies/Fruits: 6
Sleep: 6 hours
Exercise: Yoga class

Carbon, I'm sorry your friend is having medical test scheduling and the rudeness of staff. Liz is right -- it sounds like having your friend's doctor call and say, "I said now!" is the next best step.

I had a quiet day yesterday, after a wonderful morning yoga class (where I learned about using the "box" of my chest area in poses -- useful stuff) and my monthly haircut/color. Hubby and I had our usual afternoon fika, crosswords and ****tail hour. After working on crosswords all year and becoming much more crossword-competent, we find the Monday and Tuesday crosswords much too easy. Today we look forward to a little more challenge.

Yesterday I put out a mashed-up hard-boiled egg for Mama Wren, wanting to support a hard-working single mom. Overnight she dipped into the egg, so I hope it helps her out.

Just now, I did my sunrise salutations on the deck. It's so beautiful here this morning -- mist in the bottoms, a doe and her fawn loping across the lawn, and crows cawing in the forest. We may never move to town!

Taking care of me again.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

LeapSecond
on 8/2/17 7:52 am - AR

No wt.

Ann, "It's so beautiful here this morning -- mist in the bottoms, a doe and her fawn loping across the lawn, and crows cawing in the forest." Beautiful picture. We must live very close. I see this too. It is a blessing. Peaceful. We have had a whippoorwill this year that almost ruins the quiet of the darkness. His song has a faster cadence and makes me think he has been smoking crack or something. Funny sort of. Then daylight comes and the peace returns.

Carbon, Socialized medicine is not all it is cracked up to be. I have worked with several nurses from Canada. The pay is better so they travel. Going back to the doctor is the right choice. I have worked in Indian Health system and the VA system. They are both single payer systems. They got great care from what I saw.

Still working in paint spotted clothes today. But hopefully will complete it today. Then on to cabinet making for the pharmacy.

More later, David

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Shel25
on 8/2/17 8:36 am, edited 8/2/17 2:15 am

I am behind in reading posts and really looking forward to digging in

I am at the airport, earlier than I need to be, loving the luxury of time. My work desk and home are clean. I am traveling with DD to Omaha where my parents will pick us up and I can hang out in the Iowa family home in Iowa. That feels luxurious, too. It won't be available forever. I am grateful that my parents seem to be doing well but I want to see that in person

A wealthy patient told me yesterday that he skipped a family trip to a lovely lake because "my wife and I don't stay where it is less than 500 a new night" What a shame.

I had to check a bag because of so many baby gifts. One of them is a stuffed Buffalo from Yellowstone! She was born very early but is doing well now.

Virtual BBB shower sounds great. BB, you want a girl because they truly are better ;)

my thumbs are weary Hug your skinny Oh yeah, I need Paula's sushi! Such talent in this group! Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

brownblonde
on 8/2/17 8:49 am

Weight: 159 something. Ugh.

Today is my 3rd anniversary! The first year CREPT by, but the 2 since then have gone pretty quickly.

I am a little bummed that DH has a work event this evening. It's a managers conference but luckily it's in-city so I'm going to stay with him. Minor complaint. But he was gone last year out of town.

I'm trying to upload a wedding photo. Does anyone know how to upload photos on here?

Shel25
on 8/2/17 9:20 am

Look for the reddish tab with White Cross at the upper right next to the setting tab with gear (?) on it

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

brownblonde
on 8/2/17 9:36 am

Testing. Yay it worked. 3 years ago :)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/2/17 1:10 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Happy Anniversary! Gorgeous picture (little ? is going to be beautiful)!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!