VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Sunday, February 25...

Sunday, February 25, 2018

VSGAnn2014
on 2/25/18 3:44 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Weight: 130.6
Macros: Cals - 1,717, carbs - 170, fats - 62, protein - 89, fiber - 34
Veggies/Fruits (goal 8): 9
Sleep (goal 8 hours): 8
Exercise: None

I slept 8 full hours! Woke up several times, but stayed in bed and, shocker, fell back asleep each time. Honestly, my biggest sleep challenge has always been that I'd rather be awake than asleep. But the difference in how I feel after 8 full hours of sleep, compared to 5-6 hours, is what it must feel like to be on a really good mood enhancer.

Yesterday's 9 V/F servings had familiar names.

I met my sister, her husband, both her daughters, a son-in-law, and some five-year-old twins at a restaurant late yesterday afternoon. I didn't eat with them, but it was fun to hang out.

Today the weather will be beautiful - blue skies and in the mid-50s. I'll pick up downed timber on the property after last week's storms and do a long walk, perhaps in town. And the deer need more corn, so I'll get them some.

Today's theme: Fresh air!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/25/18 4:50 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

8 hours - how wonderful! I was reading an article in Oprah yesterday about the effects of less than 7 hours of sleep. I can't remember the specifics but being less than some number (maye 6) impaired one like 2 glasses of wine and having only a couple of hours was like having 4. Lots of other negatives, but you have given the results of getting enough! I know that my ability to deal with things calmly like my son using my car improves tremendously when I have enough sleep.

Weight 116.2, calories 720.

The frustrating BIL alcohol saga continues. BIL is 69 and in lousy shape. Overweight by about 30-40, obviously a bit pickled, and has NO exercise. The capitals on NO are intentional. The night he arrived, he mentioned that walking through the airport nearly killed him and he kept having to sit and almost fell down. He said he planned to do some walking here to start to build some strength. He hasn't walked any further than the bedroom and refrigerator. DH, SIL, and I took a walk after an early dinner last night when it was a beautiful temperature and the sunset was coming mostly to get him to walk with us. He actually hid in his room. At this rate he will be on a walker in his early 70s! Oh, and SIL was really annoyed with BIL's drinking last night - he has been pretty sodden by about 7 or so every night. I noticed that she is cutting back on her own alcohol as I have! We think that he keeps it reined in more when at home with his wife and feel a bit like visiting us is an excuse to drink without constraint... BTW, this guy had seizures and had to be put into a medically induced coma 18 months ago because of alcohol and prescription drug abuse. His wife somehow convinced herself that it was the drugs that pushed him over the edge and that he was able to drink within controlled limits. NOPE!

Enough of that -- I walked a whole bunch of dogs yesterday. Many new ones so they had crates in addition to the usual large pens everywhere. One very sweet one piqued my maternal instincts when he was super scared coming out of the crate, but then perked up, ran around, then sat in my lap cuddling in the outside "playpen". Unfortunately he has tested positive for Heartworm. He doesn't seem to have physical effects, but they treat them before they can be adopted and I know that can take quite a while. I had a couple of young puppyish ones who clearly hadn't been taught to walk nicely on a leash, so I had to be a bit bossy with them but they were smart enough to more or less understood before the end of the walk. When we had training they explained that helping them learn to walk well and not jump helped them to get adopted and I totally get that.

Anyway, maybe a bit more dog walking today with DH if he feels up to it. He didn't feel great yesterday so didn't come, though he was better by dinner. SIL and I kept asking him questions that required more than a yes/no answer at dinner to get him to converse. It worked and he ate his dinner more slowly as well. I need to keep it top of mind to keep doing that and not talk for him...

Have a surprising Sunday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

VSGAnn2014
on 2/25/18 7:31 am, edited 2/24/18 11:32 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Liz, that is SO interesting!

I was reading an article in Oprah yesterday about the effects of less than 7 hours of sleep. I can't remember the specifics but being less than some number (maye 6) impaired one like 2 glasses of wine and having only a couple of hours was like having 4. Lots of other negatives, but you have given the results of getting enough! I know that my ability to deal with things calmly like my son using my car improves tremendously when I have enough sleep.

Those impairment descriptions ring so very accurate for my response to less than 7 hours of sleep and definitely to 3-4 hours of sleep. So interesting! Thanks for quoting that study.

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,

ocean4dlm
on 2/25/18 7:37 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

I shared the FB post from the Farm's website, whi*****luded some very unflattering pictures. It was damp and chilly, and I was dressed for barn work, so function over aesthetics ! My favorite photo is me kissing the baby goat. I think I may have been a farmer in a previous life ! One of the horses is in the final stages of cancer, and is receiving steroids. He will have to be put down when he stops taking feed. The ladies who run the farm have dealt with bob cats and mountain lions taking out entire flocks of chickens and turkeys, coyotes stalking the goats, sheep and pigs, losing new born stock to the cold and/or predators at the same time seeing new life emerge. Their perspective is so resilient and accepting, appreciating living in the moment.

Still cold and damp here. We're continuing to plan our raised bed gardens. The lady at Lowes suggested cutting down and using cedar fencing sections to build the beds. Yesterday, we purchased some of the jig saw puzzle rubber mat pieces sold to place under exercise equipment. Our plan is to put a section just off the deck, in one of our muddiest areas, so we can keep that area dry and mud free for the dogs. Hopefully, we'll be able to get the outside hose attached soon, and I can hose it down as needed. Right now, that area is a muddy paw print mosh.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

CC C.
on 2/25/18 8:00 am

My seed catalogs have been arriving this week. Tell me about your garden plans! I have 8, 8 ft raised beds in MI and had a tall fence built around it to keep the deer out. I'm excited to get back to them if for no other reason than the tomatoes. Yummy. I'm thinking this year of getting one of those remote hunting cameras to figure out what ate all my beans last year...

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/25/18 8:20 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Tomatoes right from the garden. YUMMMM. I may have to break down and plant at home. We really only have one full--sun area, but it would do.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

CC C.
on 2/25/18 8:27 am

You really only need one if you get a high producer. My favorite is aa cherry tomato called SunSugar. It's a really sweet little yellow tomato and it produces a ton from one plant.

Paula1965
on 2/25/18 11:06 am
VSG on 04/01/15

I plant a similar sweet yellow cherry tomato, called cotton candy or something like that. Sooooo good

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/25/18 8:17 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

SIL just asked BIL to go with her to a restaurant area on the water (multiple places) that his wife loved when she visited last year and he mentioned going to when he first arrived. She was going to drop DH and I for dog walking and take BIL. He said no. I guess sitting around and drinking is more appealing. OOPS - sounding snide....

VSGAnn2014
on 2/25/18 8:46 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Addiction is a demanding mistress. BIL's no longer in charge. And that's not even snide. :(