VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Thursday, March 8, ...

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/8/18 4:06 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Weight 115.4, calories 784. My de-carbing goes on hold tonight as I am going to a wine and chocolate goodbye party for one of our walking friends who is moving to South Carolina. I'm bringing some spectacular fudge.

It has cooled down quite a bit here again after a front came through yesterday morning. This morning it is 53 and tomorrow morning is supposed to be 45. Brrr compared to the last few weeks!

We are keeping Justice on a lead in the house now per Devon's suggestion. He is a bit bored but is pretty easy-going so is putting up with it. He does like to snuggle on the couch with us. I'm sure he will be thrilled after the month is up and he can do more.

Have a thoughtful Thursday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Shel25
on 3/8/18 8:32 am

Hello all,

Stayed up too late last night. First there was DD's orchestra concert and afterwards I was mesmerized by hotel and hike shopping for my upcoming trip. I got up at 3:50AM (as usual) for my 5 am work out. Caffeine isn't able to overcome the deficit, tho.

But, this is a food forum so lets talk about trip planning. Since VSG, I have not grazed while driving. But, I have a long history of doing exactly that pre-VSG so I am mindful that I will want to. Plus, the teenagers in the car will likely be munching. So, I plan to have cold vege's available. I can mindlessly eat those, too, but do much less damage than I would with peanut butter pretzels.

As for meals, it is a pretty long trip so expense and calories could reach ridiculous levels. I'm willing to pay a premium for non-processed foods and it looks to me like that area of the country has better-eating options available. The girls both know that many days we will stop at a grocery store for the day's eats. Oddly, if Starbucks in that area carries the Mercato line, then Starbucks can provide meet many needs: non-processed foods at a decent price since we can use DD's employee discount.

I don't care if we have some meals out, whether pizza or pastry and I will enjoy both. But, I mostly want food to be functional and a non-worry. Then it is easier to truly enjoy pizza and pastry.

Liz, enjoy that party. DianeS, I'll call you later today....not before 5pm, tho. Oh, I looked up Arcata weather. Looks like it is just a few degrees warmer than here but just a few. And showers just a many days but that is aok, we are expecting exactly that.

Back to work for me. Be kind to yourself.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

VSGAnn2014
on 3/8/18 9:54 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Weight: 131.4
Macros: Cals - 1,953, carbs - 223, fats - 57, protein - 107, fiber - 16
Veggies/Fruits (goal 8): 6
Sleep (goal 8 hours): 6
Exercise: Aquarobics class

Liz, are you all thinking of keeping Justice? Sure sounds like it. ;)

And Shel, your trip is almost here. I had no idea there was such a thing as peanut butter pretzels. No idea.

So the good news is that last night I broiled some salmon with hickory bourbon barbeque sauce and plated it atop a big bed of lettuce with some little potatoes and savory herbs - so good! The bad news is that afterward I decided it was a good idea to polish off an old container of French vanilla ice cream. The salmon was a lot better than the ice cream! More good news - the ice cream is gone.

It's so good to be snuggled in here at home. I love hearing about everyone's days - snowshoeing and hiking, woodworking, exercise classes, The Nugge****ch, raising teenagers and doggies, caring for spouses, our food and self-care struggles and victories, and interesting weather from the Pacific Northwest to Florida to Southern California to New York's Finger Lakes.

Today's theme: Spring's coming!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/8/18 10:51 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Unless something drastic happens, yes Justice will stay. He is such a sweet little guy!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Shel25
on 3/8/18 12:15 pm

I'm not even sure that I would have reached Morbid Obesity if peanut butter pretzels didn't exist.

Obesity, sure. That is all volume. After that, peanut butter pretzels.

I knew a couple of months ago that I had reached year 3 when I was at TJ's and put a bag in my basket, the first time in many years.

There is no such thing as a single portion bag of peanut butter pretzels. Totally slider food, too. Doesn't make me sick. Sneaky *******s.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

CC C.
on 3/8/18 3:52 pm

Yeah I'm not sure they come in quantities less than "tub size". I bought a tub not long ago and thought I could moderate my intake of them. I cannot. They can't come in my house anymore.

diane S.
on 3/8/18 10:54 am

Greetings Thursday Purple People

146 today. Another slothful day waiting around to take DH to eye doctor follow up. The good news is he finally got a full new prescription and new glasses are ordered. Hope they will be here by our trip on the 22nd.

Well Justice will survive being on a leash for a few weeks. Sounds like such a good dog and I bet he gets through the treatment fine. A good lap doggie is just what you and DH need. And wine and chocolate - two of the four food groups.

Ann, glad to hear you cooked some good stuff for yourself and are having a snuggly winter. It can feel deliciously self indulgent to just curl up and not have to do anything that others expect. Enjoy the winter as spring is just around the corner. Say hello to those hungry corn eating deer for us.

Shel Redwood-lapalooza is coming right up! I sent you a couple of maps on Monday. I really recommend Fern Canyon and all of Prairie Creek State park if the canyon is open. I have only done the canyon trail but there are loads of others. Food wise, in our immediate area there is Eureka Natural foods, the Northcoast Coop, Murphys market (a small local chain) Wildberries market as well as safeway and such. All have little deli places with some decent options. South of here from Avenue of the Giants to Willets there is not much out there so be prepared. Avenue of the Giants has various little mom and pop places including one that advertises a half pound hot dog! Sounds disgusting. I always take string cheese, grapes and almonds when I drive down to the bay area. We have one Starbucks here in McKinleyville and there are two in Eureka but none in Arcata. They shun all chain drive through places but there are other good coffee places there. I don't know if the Starbucks has the line of things you mentioned. In Trinidad there is the Beachcomber Cafe that probably has some egg sandwich stuff plus the Murphy's market deli plus a little place called the Lighthouse Grill which is reasonably priced and probably has good options. You will not starve.

Diane O stay warm and put some miles on those snow shoes.

Eagerly awaiting the grand entrance of Nugget.

Dave I too am having carb cravings. Mostly I don't give in because I don't keep the stuff around. But I sure would love some good Mexican food or pizza.

Take care all. Drink up you coffee fiends. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Shel25
on 3/8/18 12:08 pm

The Fern Canyon had a couple of logs blocking passage clear passage a few weeks ago. If clear, that whole loop will be a 13 mile day! But flat.

If not cleared, that's ok, too. Fern Canyon part of it is open 0.4 of 0.7 mile even with the logs in the way.

Both Prairie Creek and Ave of Giants seem to have The Groves to see. Can't wait!

I am charmed that apparently some of the best trees....the giants of the giants, are secret to keep them from being over-loved.

diane S.
on 3/8/18 12:13 pm

There is a touristy place called Trees of Mystery south of Crescent City. It looks like a stupid tourist place which it sort of is but it has a very cool (and free) native american basket collection. And while it is a sort of tree museum, it has a cable car ride up through the redwood canopy that is kind of cool and nice walks through redwoods. Worthy as a pit stop anyway. DS

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Shel25
on 3/8/18 12:18 pm

Yes, it on my things to read up on. Sounds totally worthy. We are tourists. Touristy is good. And, I hadn't spotted the cable car ride, yet. DD and DDF would approve. We will likely zip line in the redwoods in Sonoma on the way back north if there is time. (There will be time, the youngsters will demand)