VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Sunday, May 12, 201...

Sunday, May 12, 2018, Mother's Day

VSGAnn2014
on 5/13/18 2:49 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Weight: 137.4

Macros: Cals 1,010, Carbs 85, Fats 32, Protein 99, Fiber 20

Sleep: 7 hours

Veggies/Fruits: 4

Exercise: Mowing and gardening 2.5 hours

This will be a short post because my internet is down. So is my weight by 1.4 pounds. :)

I slept 7 hours last night. I'm slowly adjusting from Ireland time.

I hope that everyone has a great Mother's Day, the weather is good, your companions are pleasant, and your food nutritious and delicious.

Today's theme is still: Do the next right thing.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

ocean4dlm
on 5/13/18 4:04 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Ann, so nice to have you back and starting us off ! I'm up a pound, so we're working together. I'm close enough to my range to relax back into my routine and not sweat the small stuff. My 30, 90, 180 and 360 day reports on My Fitness Pal are ridiculously consistent, so ....

Sad not to be with my girls in person today, but I just saw oldest DD (the Physicist) in SoCal, and will see youngest DD (Doctor in Brooklyn) next weekend, when I'll also see my mother ! I'm sure I'll chat with all today ! Devon and Carbon's posts and news from my pre-retirement district (teacher lay-offs, new superintendent) leave me feeling blessed that therapy dog work with Sadie is my only interaction with public schools. Atlas is seven months old at the end of this month and his second level of obedience on the way to becoming certified as DH's PTSD service dog is going amazingly well ! He is very bright and already totally in synch with DH. During class yesterday, DH got frustrated and tight about something minor. My immediate thought/filter was to correct him so as not to confuse/be consistent with Atlas. Our instructor stepped in and stated that frustration, temper, unpredictability IS PART of DH's PTSD, and part of Atlas' training is to identify those moments and know how to respond to support DH. So different from training a therapy dog ! I'm learning so much !!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

brownblonde
on 5/13/18 4:43 am

Good morning all! Happy Mother's day!

This is my first mother's day and I'm trying not to have expectations. And yet it's hard not to. My husband is very very thoughtful ALL throughout the year, so why do I care when doesn't do it on a card holiday?

Speaking of expectations, I'm having trouble grappling with the idea that my future may not go how I envisioned it. Everyone wants to tell me that change can be for the better. Nothing has been decided, but the job market here in Oklahoma is lookin a little dismal compared to Texas. If we have to move, it's moving away from everything I've known and loved and I feel childish admitting this but I feel a deep sense of loss at the suggestion. My family has lived in Oklahoma since the 1930s. My parents still live in my childhood home where two pets are buried. I saw my grandparents nearly every day (and still have breakfast with my grandmother before work). I had hoped all these things for my future and for my children. My mother is so wise in telling me not to "borrow trouble." And we do have so many blessings. Especially as I reflect on this past year and the joy of becoming a mother :)

We are here at BIL's lakehouse and are having a mother's day brunch. I'm making 4 quiches and then BIL and DH will fry up some breakfast meats, someone else is bringing fruit salad, another pastries, and mimosas and coffee to top it off. I do plan to indulge but try not to overeat today is my goal.

Ann-I'm extremely impressed how little you gained while on the cruise! I think I'll be following in your footsteps when we get back home. I must get this weight off!!

VSGAnn2014
on 5/13/18 6:06 am, edited 5/12/18 11:07 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Fascinating article about a therapy to help patients with eating disorders to normalize eating by normalizing their eating. Sounds circular, tautological, silly, right? But IMHO it's not all that silly.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hunger-artist/201805/simple-eating-disorder-treatment-no-one-ever-talks-about

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Shel25
on 5/13/18 6:27 am, edited 5/12/18 11:27 pm

Good morning!

DD is on an orchestra trip and doesn't return until late this afternoon. I like that she still texts me when she is on a trip. I think she likes me more when we are apart than when we are in the same room.

Yesterday's hike included a section where one goes up 4000 ft in 2.5 miles. Then, of course, one must come down. This trail is beloved as a great training hike with 360 views up top, otherwise it is in dark woods. But, it is also known as a retired trail, not well maintained, and peeps get lost in those woods. There were a million peeps on it yesterday, tho, so no one got lost. It was more like a parade.

Ann, that weight will be off before you know it.

BB, sometimes I wonder about your expectations, too, but only about 15 seconds and then I am over it (I don't want you to think I am at all critical.) Have you ever seen/read about the 5 love languages? They are presented as equal, none better (or worse) than another. I am a "quality time" person. My DH is a "words of affirmation" person which I find extremely irritating. (Thank you for emptying the dishwasher.....) I am ashamed to admit that, but there it is.

Speaking of relationships, DianeO, sometimes I think I could use a training manual for my particular model.

DianeS, your new car is like a new puppy. Only it is you that need the training. I love how much fun DH is having. He has found his recess.

Have fun today. Hiking pics below. (It was Mailbox Peak. You have seen this once or twice in the past) Notice how many college aged peeps are in them....they completed finals last week. I confess I had fun eavesdropping on bits of conversation. A bit of a window to their world.

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

brownblonde
on 5/13/18 7:00 am

I am constantly trying to reflect and evolve and grow. I know I don't have it all figured out, and maybe never will.

I do have the 5 Love Languages book, though I've only ever scanned it. I probably should invest more time looking through it. I'm a words of affirmation person for sure. I've even asked my husband to get me cards! For example, a lovely written card is something I want to get and keep. I'd much rather a card for Valentine's day, for example, than roses or chocolates. But he gets the flowers and rarely the card. So I am trying to find a balance between asking for what I want/need and just adjusting my own expectations. I think expectation and idealizations that are unattainable is the dark-side of my perfectionism and type-A planner personality. I know I've admitted this before! I plan so that things can go more smoothly and happily, but often surprises happen and sometimes I'm not open to whatever wonderful unexpected thing happened. And that's a darned shame!

To bring this back around to weight, I sometimes try to plan the perfect eating day. And it almost NEVER goes as planned. In the past I used to let this ruin my diet.

Shel25
on 5/13/18 10:06 am

I see DH worrying when things don't go exactly as planned. He doesn't see it, tho. You are worlds ahead in recognizing that there are ways to reframe -- that is very hard to do in the moment, especially if that isn't your natural wiring.

DH, a "words of affirmation" kind of person, absolutely does not appreciate a heart felt card. Once, when we were dating, I hid cards all around his apartment for him to find when I was out of town. Most had something handwritten, too. He didn't even bring them up! I had to ask about it, and he said something along the lines of "they were fine." Hello? Fine???? LOL, I got NO CREDIT for that!

Have a great day, may you find balance on this first Mother's Day as a mom. Truly special.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Miss150
on 5/13/18 7:08 am

158.6. Happy Mothers' Day one and all. Lots of posts to read- no time at the moment- will return later to enjoy the company and news. Brush teeth, a bit of the ol' lipstick and off to church--kiddo's over (DS#1 and DS#2) a bit later. Smiles to all! (Not that I need the information very often, but what is the abbreviation for when kid's are not exactly perfect? BS-as in bum-son)????

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/13/18 7:11 am, edited 5/13/18 12:16 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Happy Mother's Day to all who are mothers or who are honoring mothers.

It is always a difficult day for me. 45 years ago I received my first Mother's Day cards. But the DD who made me a Mom hasn't been here for almost a third of that time now and I miss her on days like this.

I will be spending the second half of the day with youngest DD and this evening with DS, celebrating DD's birthday and Mothers Day.

Have a supportive Sunday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

diane S.
on 5/13/18 10:06 am

Greetings Marvelous Mothers and Others

149 today - too close to the danger zone. Not liking this at all. Eating wasn't too bad yesterday but being stuck in the gallery and addicted to tv napping seems to keep me stuck. I read the article Ann referenced about learning to eat. I need an app to make me learn to like moving around more. I am just too tuned in to the call of the couch.

More gallery duty this afternoon. A young mother had been scheduled so I volunteered to take the shift. No kids for me and no mother on this earth any more. Just the fur babies who are not much for getting cards or flowers. Hope all you mothers have a good one. Years ago when I worked at KFC in high school this was always their biggest day of the year.

DH is about to take the dogs on a walk so he can go "squeak" the neighborhood. Then he is off to Costco. I told him to drive the Bolt and not the gas hog suv. I drove the Bolt for the first time yesterday. Couldn't figure out how to put it into reverse so this voice comes on and tells me. Then it dings at me when I am on the freeway telling my I am speeding which I was not. Eventually figured out how to adjust the radio volume and heater. It has a heated steering wheel which I did not use but which might help these old hands. The thing drives like a dream and is quite powerful. I am going to have to get the owners manual and a yellow highlighter and study it like I used to do in law school. I will show it off at the studio tomorrow.

Its a cloudy day but I still expect gallery visitors. Quite a few yesterday even thought the sales weren't much. I need to take some tools and gloves so I can weed the garden.

DH has the garage fairly well cleaned out so two cars can get in. However our bicycles are in the living room.

Great hike Shel. glad there were other peeps out. Hiking alone is fun but Bigfoot is out there.

BB hoping that DH finds a job that he likes. If I were you I would not rush to Texas too quickly but you two know your needs best. Hug the Nugget.

Well more coffee for me. Then on to debris removal and laundry.

Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/