VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Thursday, May 24, 2...

Thursday, May 24, 2018

VSGAnn2014
on 5/24/18 3:05 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Weight - 134.0
Macros - Cals 1,481, Carbs 139, Fats 43, Protein 88, Fiber 27
Sleep (goal 8 hours) - 7
Vegetable/Fruit Servings - 7
Exercise - Mowing (mowing on that beast really IS exercise, even sitting down!)

Cecily, what a great report about your doctor visit. I think I dreamed last night about your travails! I was really worried about you.

Shel, I've done some serious hiking and trekking. But I have never done such sustained climbing on such a steep trail shown in yesterday's photos of your latest rock climb. And even if I could manage to get UP such a slope, my knees wouldn't sustain me on the trip back down. You have so much respect from me for your mountaineering abilities.

I had another productive day yesterday. The hired grandsons and I both got a lot done here, physical therapy was worthwhile, and I enjoyed a friend's birthday dinner last night at a restaurant (had salmon and veggies).

Today offers a yoga class and (maybe?) a hiking trip/luncheon/winery visit with a few yoga friends, depending on their schedules. If today's outing doesn't happen, I'll do some more mowing, gardening, and mulching.

Today's theme: Don't work like you're killing snakes. (That's an old farm expression my husband taught me, which means "Pace yourself.")

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/24/18 4:09 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Nice theme! I will heed that today as I am continuing to work on my "to-do" list of getting the house up to snuff for the summer chores.

Weight 118, calories 1156. I don't like hovering this high in my range especially with the holiday weekend arriving, but I guess I'll just have to make good choices.

Today the items I plan to attack on my list include finishing housecleaning (did the main floor with most of the work yesterday) and planting some flowers in pots (purchased yesterday with my senior discount - I don't like being a "senior", but I like the discounts). DS was supposed to have a mini dinner party yesterday but a couple of people couldn't come. So he is cooking for a larger family party tonight instead. BIL and SIL from Portland OR will be here as well as local BIL and SIL. Scallops and steaks are the main course.

Tomorrow I am going to a mini-reunion with some friends who couldn't make it to the actual reunion. It requires that I drive 80 miles to my old hometown on the day before Memorial Day when all the main highway intersections are clogged with cars. I'm planning a route that takes me off the highway before the intersection that is likely to be a big problem and will travel backroads to my town for the last 20 miles. It will probably take me a bit longer but will involve way less angst and a lot of the area is really pretty along that road.

Have a thoughtful Thursday!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

brownblonde
on 5/24/18 4:47 am, edited 5/23/18 10:01 pm

167.2 today. Up 1lb. Could be real or could be adjusting.

I had breakfast with a friend yesterday-this time I ordered egg beaters and turkey sausage, fruit and toast. Much healthier than I normally do, and of course I couldn't eat much. The only thing I regret is I probably shouldn't have eaten any of the heavily buttered toast. But yolo. And it is so good! Lunch was half a portion of Chinese food. Also could've chosen better. Oh that's probably where the weight came from. MSG, duh. Dinner I feel I did pretty well. I served a chicken and rice casserole I made for maternity leave, and alongside it a nice salad and cut fruit. Onward and upward.

DH got home from his conference yesterday. Good to have him back, but my plan of catching up with friends while he was away was a successful and nice diversion.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the job situation is trying to teach me the importance of taking each day at a time and just enjoying it for whatever is in front of me. I'm still very much a rookie at this concept, but I'm trying. And no better time to learn this than with a constantly-changing-sometimes-challenging infant! My grandmother used to always say "this too shall pass." She used it to mean that the struggle would be over soon. But the good times come and go as well. There are other good times around the bend and other challenging times and I definitely overthink those. I need to just be present because too soon it will be gone.

Getting the holiday weekend plans in order. Lots of good barbecue I think. Man, I don't think there's anything better in the world than smoked meat.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/24/18 5:28 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Yes, the good days come and go so quickly with a little one. Please cherish every one with your beautiful nugget. She is such a gift!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

ocean4dlm
on 5/24/18 5:21 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Good morning ! Yesterday got away from me ! Cecily, your update was uplifting ! So glad to hear that you received the kind of treatment and attention you deserve, even though the prior experience was somewhat understandable. Shel...your spirit animal must be a mountain goat !! Paula, my positive thoughts/energy and prayers are with you and your family. Yes, all of the Hospice regalia is comforting and off putting at the same time. I hope Ben's breathing has resolved.

I've been crazy active, working off some nervous energy. I've been holding at 131 for three days and I have upped calories a bit. My daughters sent me a Peach Dish gift certificate for Mother's Day, and last night I made spicy shrimp and cheesy grits. Sooo good, and in the past I would have finished off those grits with NO problem, but thank God I ate the shrimp first !!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

diane S.
on 5/24/18 10:25 am

Greetings Thursday Travelers

148 today. I was going to address you all as Thursday Thunder but it sounds too much like an NBA team. Maybe it is one. No thunder here today and I hope no one else has any.

Liz, sounds like the mini reunion will be fun. Good that you can go on the "back roads". I am glad to hear you know about the 5 year look back rule and are planning things accordingly. I must update my own planning even though I am not facing what you are.

Diane O, good for you for utilizing your energy constructively. Its so good to feel those chores done. But as Ann says "don't work like you are killing snakes".

Ann, glad physical therapy is helping you. Sounds like you have a good start on a productive summer. Wish I could say the same. I have done far too much lazing about recently. I need to come up with a couple of summer projects like getting the yard cleaned up and doing some entertaining.

We have some good friends who host holiday parties and they often end up being 18 or more people because they are kind and invite most anyone. But for memorial day they decided it was just too exhausting and are paring the guest list down. We are lucky to be included. Maybe I get invited because the husband loves the chicken liver pate I make. I have often wondered how they manage so much entertaining. My friend seems to thrive on it but its getting a little much. Downsizing is a good thing. And hey, today is a donation day at the thrift shop. Note to self: take a load over.

Cecily your summer project is to get well. But I am betting it won't take that long. You will be hiking before you know it.

Yep Shel, you are indeed part mountain goat if you climb that pile of rocks. But be careful. Someone was killed recently while climbing Half Dome at Yosimete. As DH says "gravity - its the law"

Well we have eaten all the chili so maybe steak tonight. And cauliflower. Cheers all. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

brownblonde
on 5/24/18 10:37 am

The Thunder is our NBA Team!

How do you prepare your cauliflower? If I'm going for light, I roast it. I also have a curried cauliflower that's good. But my favorite way to eat it is au gratin. It's very indulgent, though low carb (not low cal!)

brownblonde
on 5/24/18 10:38 am

The Thunder is our NBA team!

How do you eat your cauliflower? I like it roasted, curried, or my favorite, au gratin (very indulgent--not low cal, however pretty low carb)

diane S.
on 5/24/18 11:51 am

Tee Hee, I knew there was some Thunder somewhere. Shows how much attention I pay to pro sports.

Well I usually steam cauliflower, drain it well, add a bit of half and half and parmesan cheese and then mash is with a potato masher. But tonight I have a package of already chopped up stuff so I will probably sauté it in olive oil. Yep, au gratin is the best. ds

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Shel25
on 5/24/18 8:03 pm

As it happens, I have been stalking Yosemite on-line....thinking about going there next year. I have looked at many reviews of the Half-dome hike and have zoomed in to look at those cable lines. I decided it looked less scary than Angel's Landing at Zion.

And then....someone dies. It did sound like it was wet --- the Ranger's video (yes, I have watched videos) said that the vast majority of accidents were when it was wet. Obviously, they tell you not to go if it was going to be wet. But, who knows....maybe it came on suddenly.

Your liver pate sounds legendary! I bet you are a pretty fabulous cook even tho you keep it (mostly) healthy these days.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!