Atkins and Low Carb Weight Loss

Groups » Atkins and Low Carb ... » Discussion » High protein, low-f...

High protein, low-fat, low-carb diets cause weakness, nausea & diarrhea...

Lee ~
on 2/4/11 11:01 pm - CA
I have to agree about those things all tasting better with some crackers etc.  That said, my hips are looking better at holding up my pants without the extra layers of fat, so I'm willing to do it.

My food plan calls for eating 3x a day (protein first) with no snacks, ever, and no protein supplementation.  So actually Atkins is the very best plan for me because it gets rid of the cravings that carbs give me to snack.  Let's face it, a carby snack is over the moon good, but totally not part of my surgeon's plan.  At 6 months I was exercising 2-3 hours, 7 days a week and eating 1 string cheese snack.  Surgeon told me to knock it off because snacks grow over the years and so will my body if I keep it up.

Atkins is the easiest to follow with the 3x a day, no snacking, though I do occasionally throw in a couple of pork rinds etc when I'm going to head for the unmentionables.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Phyllis C.
on 2/4/11 9:11 pm
I could never do a just meat and fat diet.  THAT would make me nauseous.  Of all of  three, fats, carbs and protein, fat is always the highest percentage of my total daily intake.  I would find it very difficult on a low carb diet to severely limit fats.   I do try to keep them in moderations though.

Very few people evolved on the Inuit diet and I don't think very many of us would trive on that kind of diet.  I could no more do that kind of diet than I could do a low fat diet.

I need to go buy that book today.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

snowbaby
on 2/4/11 11:38 pm - Durango, CO
Hey Phyllis,

I hope you get the book - I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!  I'm actually thinking of re-reading it - or at least portions of it - just to get a better understanding.

If your fats are the highest percentage of your intake then you are most likely on target with what Taubes believes is what our bodies thrive on best. You are right that most of us could not thrive on an Inuit diet - Taubes thinks that much of our diet is based on genetics/ancestry. It makes sense that Inuit people would eat a high fat diet because they need the calories to maintain body heat. You would think that they would have a high rate of obesity and cancer - but actually that is not the case at all (at least before carbs were introduced in their diets!). Purdy interesting!

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker