Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » Bariatric friendly ...

Bariatric friendly recipes / Let's share!

Patrece S.
on 5/13/09 1:39 pm, edited 5/13/09 1:41 pm - CO
I wanted to offer members a place to find and share bariatric patient friendly recipes, so I am starting this topic as a place to do this. Please feel free to share your favorites!

Patrece
JUST DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING!
Obesity Help Support Group Leader & Coach
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy          

Lost 114 lbs. working on getting rid of a recent 10 lb regain...and WILL succeed! 

Patrece S.
on 5/13/09 1:57 pm - CO

Patrece

Lost 114 lbs. working on getting rid of a recent 10 lb regain...and WILL succeed! 

ScorpioMama77
on 5/14/09 4:43 am - Pueblo, CO
I'm not sure if all the DS recipes will work for RNYers as well(mostly due to the high fat content), but here's some of the recipes I've started saving for after I'm switched.

Cheesecake Cupcakes (nutritional info included in the link)
3 - 8 oz. packages of cream cheese
1 cup of Splenda
5 eggs
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla

Filling:
8 oz Sour Cream
2 TBSP Splenda
1/4 tsp Vanilla

Bring cream cheese to room temperature. Place cream cheese in a bowl, and add one egg at a time, beating with a hand mixer. Slowly add the Splenda and vanilla. (The batter will be thin.)

Pour into paper cupcake liners. (Makes approx. 12 very full cupcakes.) Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30 - 35 minutes ****il large cracks appear on the top). Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.

Combine filling ingredients and add a tsp on top of each cupcake and return to the oven for 5 minutes.

Cool and then keep refrigerated.

Val's Fabulous Ricotta Fluff Stuff
1 large container of ricotta cheese
1 box  SF jello instant cheesecake pudding
dollop or two of sour cream (to taste)
A little bit of milk to lighten it up (about a cup-add last and gradually)

Mix it all up and enjoy however you want it.  I love it with strawberries!  It's a great fruit dip or just eating straight out of the bowl. 

Variation for fluff:  Do whatever flavor of pudding you like and add a little milk to get the texture you like.

Warning:  Walmart's ricotta is very grainy in texture and never mixes to anything smooth and creamy.  Tasty, but strange.

This is a great link for Low Carb Recipes - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Fabulous Custard -- full of protein, easy on new DS post-ops ~delicious!
3 cups milk
3/4 cup splenda
4-5 eggs (depending on size)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
handful of coconut (optional)

Preheat oven to 375'.  Beat eggs, nutmeg and vanilla together in baking dish.  On the stove, bring the milk and splenda just to a boil, then stir together to the eggs.  Bake for 25 min
NOTE:  when the milk is coming near to a boil, you'll get a little foam on the top.  Remove this foam before stirring into the eggs, or it will get a weird texture on top.

Sweet & Salty Nut Snack
1 1/2 cups of nuts (I like almonds or walnuts, sometimes peanuts)  
3/4 Splenda brown sugar
2 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp vanilla

Line a baking sheet with buttered foil.  In a heavy skillet, combine nuts & brown sugar, butter and vanilla.  Cook over medium high heat until sugar melts.  DO NOT STIR.  Shake skillet from time to time to coat nuts.  Reduce heat and cook for about another 3-5 minutes on medium low heat.   Pour contents onto foiled baking sheet and cool completely.  Break the contents into clusters and store in an airtight container unless you feel compelled to gobble up all the contents!

Paula Deen's Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup Splenda

Mix and roll into balls (about walnut sized) and flatten with fork dipped in Splenda.  Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.  

TIPS
-Do NOT overocok -- they will get crumbly since there's no gluten
-Peanut butter is naturally low sugar - the low sugar kind only reduces it by 1g per serving.
-If you're picky about artificial sweeteners, I've done a 3/1 with splenda and sugar to cut the after taste and it's good.  Presently, I do full-splenda in the cookies, and roll in regular sugar and that's good too.  I've also added semi-sweet chocolate chips to shake things up.

Another fantastic recipe blog - especially the protein ice creams! 
The World According to Eggface

Again, I'm not sure how much will work for the RNYer or Lapbander.
Patrece S.
on 5/14/09 10:03 am - CO
For most who have had weight loss surgery, i think these could work, as long as they used the low fat versions of the "fatty" products, and of course consume in extreme moderation!
Thanks for sharing these with everyone!

Patrece

ScorpioMama77
on 5/14/09 10:10 am - Pueblo, CO
Well, if they are RNY patients, they'd need to use low-fat.  But DSers only absorb 20% of the fats consumed, so full fat is fine for us.  We also need to have more protein than RNYers (100-120g per day) because we only absorb 50-60% of it.  That's why I say I'm not sure if the recipes will work for everyone, but they're here just in case...
Patrece S.
on 5/14/09 10:12 am - CO
Thats good info to know! Thank you!

Patrece

ScorpioMama77
on 5/14/09 10:19 am - Pueblo, CO
No prob.  The post-op DS nutritional needs are very different from the RNY or lapband...it's one of the reasons I chose it! 
Shasta L.
on 5/24/09 4:54 am - CO
I do something similar to the ricotta fluff.
I combine
1 cup FF cottage cheese
1/2-1 pakg. SF, instant pudding mix
2 Tablespoons soy slender soymilk
   Blend all together in blender.
makes Two servings.

High in protein, and Low carb.

Patrece S.
on 5/24/09 7:19 am - CO
I'm going to have to give this a try. I eat cottage cheese all the time! Thanks for sharing Shasta!

Patrece

Tania C.
on 8/22/09 11:51 pm - Wyandotte, MI
Sounds yum, I love cottage cheese and instant pudding. Actually I think I will try it soon!

Come join me in the Bariatric Buddy Group
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader