Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » Bariatric friendly ...

Bariatric friendly recipes / Let's share!

Darlene E.
on 9/16/10 3:15 am - Harrow, Canada
Just tried this, but I added 1/4C skim milk so it's more like a pudding texture. Yum.
Thanks for posting this.

SINCE MY RNY NOVEMBER 10 2008

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

Patrece S.
on 5/30/09 2:21 pm - CO
Yummy Chicken & Peppers!
2 Chicken breasts, boneless / skinless sliced into thin strips, or cubed.
2 Green Peppers, cut into medium thickness slices
2 Lg cans of whole peeled tomato's
garlic: fresh minced, or garlic powder.
salt & pepper
Parmasian cheese
Non stick olive oil cooking spray

Spray lg skillet with olive oil cooking spray. Set heat to medium. Add prepared chicken to skillet. Coo****il chiken is cooked through, do not over cook. Add 2 cans of tomato's. Using spatula, cut tomato's in half in the pan. Add prepared peppers. Add garlic to taste. Simmer on medium low to medium heat for about 20 - 30 minutes, until peppers are cooked, but not mushy.
Remove from heat and serve. Top with Parmasian cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.

This dish is tasty and healthy. It is a good dish to serve over whole grain wheat pasta, or without the pasta, if you are avoiding carbs. I personally like to add mushrooms to the mix as well, I add them when I add the peppers.  Enjoy!

Patrece
JUST DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING!
Obesity Help Support Group Leader & Coach
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy          

Lost 114 lbs. working on getting rid of a recent 10 lb regain...and WILL succeed! 

Tania C.
on 8/22/09 11:54 pm - Wyandotte, MI
This sounds delicious. It will be a while, but I will try it when I can have "meats" in a few weeks. It reminds me of my Mom's cooking. You-yum! I hope we can keep this thread current!

Come join me in the Bariatric Buddy Group
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/

ejjy
on 7/21/09 12:57 pm - Watertown, MA
this is the only recipe i've written up, it's a chicken casserole.  i use mainly "real" ingredients but this can be easily toned down in fat for RNY with a few substitutions, or made more "lush" for DSers by increasing others (or throw in a few of your own, hell, it's a casserole).  I liked this because it's chicken, which can be a problem for RNYs especially early out, but prepared this way i found it pretty pouch-friendly.

about 2/3 of a medium sized vidalia onion, chopped
about a pint of mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 cups of cooked brown rice (optional for us, but i had to include some carbs for the regular eaters in my family)
All the white meat and some of the leg meat from 1 rotiserie chicken (supermarket) - SHREDDED or broken up into bite-size bits
2 sliced tomatos
4 oz. feta cheese
4 oz shredded cheddar
2 tb butter (could be done with olive oil, probably, or less fat; i was working from another recipe)
2 cups of fresh spinach, pre-washed, roughly chopped

cookware:
1 12-inch fry pan
1 oven-safe casserole dish

Oven preheated to 350-375 degrees

1) in large pan, medium heat, melted 2 ts butter to coat pan, sauteed onions until started to become soft.  this is one place you could probably save fat; lower heat, take more time, use pam
2) tossed in 2 crushed cloves for 1 minute
3) cleared a spot in middle of pan, added a little butter, tossed in chopped mushrooms, let sit stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes, reduce heat if pan starting to brown out
4) cleared a spot in middle of pan, added a little butter, tossed in 1/2 of spinach
5) when spinach wilted, cleared a spot in middle of pan, added a little butter, tossed in 2nd half
6) when 2nd half wilted, tossed in chicken, stirred, added some salt & pepper to taste
7) while chicken heating up (in this case it's rottiserie so it's already cooked), put cooked rice in bottom of casserole dish.  sprinkled feta and cheddar in thin layer.
8) spread veggie/chicken mix over rice/cheese in casserole dish.
9) added most of the rest of the cheese (feta and cheddar) into chicken layer, stirring slightly to mix.  did not have much issue with this layer getting mixed into rice layer.  I did it this way b/c adding cheese to hot pan is invitation to cleaning disaster.
10) top with layer of tomatos and then sprinkle remaining cheeses over tomatos.

baked for about 20 minutes until cheese was melted and tomatos looked cooked.  Friggin AWESOME!!!! 

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

Patrece S.
on 7/21/09 2:09 pm - CO
OHHHHHHHHH sounds excellent! I am going to have to give this a try for sure! Maybe tomorrow for dinner! I have 4 chicken breasts left over from grilling last night, and was wondering what to do with it for a change of pace!
Thank you for sharing!
Patrece

Patrece

Lost 114 lbs. working on getting rid of a recent 10 lb regain...and WILL succeed! 

Tania C.
on 8/22/09 11:56 pm - Wyandotte, MI
This souds soooo good! What an awesome recipe. Who doesn't love a good cassarole?

Come join me in the Bariatric Buddy Group
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/

Kathy B.
on 8/1/09 9:55 am - Virginia, MN

These salads are from Chef Dave bariatric chef.

Grilled Chicken Pecan Salad

1 lb chicken breast ½ C chopped pecans

1 C lite mayo ½ red bell pepper

½ C green onions 1 tsp lemon juice

/8 tsp paprika Salt & pepper

Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and paprika. Grill until cooked through. Dice the

grilled chicken into pieces about ½ inch square and place diced chicken in a mixing bowl. Dice the

red bell pepper and add to the bowl. Chop green onions into small pieces and place in bowl with

chicken and peppers. Add lemon juice, lite mayo, and chopped pecans. Stir to mix all of the

ingredients together. Serve room temperature or chilled.

Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette

4 C fresh spinach 2 C strawberries

½ C gorgonzola cheese 2 pkts sugar substitute (e.g., Splenda

½ red onion 2 tbsp salad oil

½ C walnuts Juice from one lemon

1 red bell pepper Salt & pepper to taste

®)

To make the vinaigrette, combine strawberries, canola oil, Splenda

into mixing bowl. Wisk together briskly. Let sit 3-4 minutes. Place spinach into bowl of vinaigrette

and toss. Serve into individual bowls. Slice red onion into rings and cut red bell pepper into julienne

strips. Garnish each salad with red onion rings, red bell pepper strips, walnuts and gorgonzola

cheese on top.

®, salt, pepper, and lemon juice

Watermelon Salad

4 C watermelon 2 sprigs fresh mint

½ C green onions 2 tbsp salad oil

2 kiwis 2 tbsp raspberry vinegar

1 C strawberries

Dice watermelon into 2-inch-square chunks and place in large mixing bowl. Add in diced green

onions and several fresh mint leaves, finely chopped. Add kiwis and strawberries sliced into bite-size

pieces. Pour 2 tbsp canola oil and 2 tbsp raspberry vinegar into mixing bowl. Add a pinch of salt and

mix all ingredients together with a large spoon. Serve room temperature or chilled.

OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

wendiwoo
on 8/11/09 10:40 am
 These salads sound AMAZING! I would have never thought to do this with watermelon but I am going to have to try it while the watermelons are still in season.
Patrece S.
on 8/1/09 10:24 am - CO
MMMMM... sound nummy! Thanks for sharing Kathy!

Patrece

Kathy B.
on 8/26/09 11:05 am - Virginia, MN
Gleaned this from someone else, sounds nummmmy.  Can't wait till it is an option for me, few weeks off yet.

JILLY'S CHICKEN POT PIE

This is kinda a mix between bisquick and my own tweaks…. Jillys Carbquik Chicken Pot Pie (Nutritional facts based upon serving 6) Filling: 12oz cooked and diced chicken (I seasoned mine for added flavor when I cooked it…I cooked in the Ziploc zip and steam bags!) 16 oz frozen mixed veggies 1 can cream of chicken soup Topping 2 eggs 1 cup milk Few shakes garlic powder, Italian seasonings, and parmesan cheese 1 ½ c carbquik Mix the filling ingredients together and place in the bottom of a greased square pan (8X8 or 9X9) Mix all the topping ingredients together and spread on the filling Bake at 400 for 45 mins.

Nutrition Facts
Jilly's Chicken Pot Pie 

Serving Size: 1 serving

Amount Per Serving
  Calories 300.3
  Total Fat 12.1 g
      Saturated Fat 3.8 g
      Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1 g
      Monounsaturated Fat 2.2 g
  Cholesterol 111.8 mg
  Sodium 687.8 mg
  Potassium 413.8 mg
  Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
      Dietary Fiber 15.2 g
      Sugars 2.3 g
  Protein 27.4 g

OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader