Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » Bariatric friendly ...

Bariatric friendly recipes / Let's share!

Patrece S.
on 8/27/09 6:23 am - CO
Thank you for sharing this Kathy!
It sounds pretty good to me. I would die tho if I put that many carbs in me at one sitting. If I were to make it, I think I would leave out the biscuit mix. But then that is just me. Carbs can trigger cravings, and breads are one of my weaknesses, so I try to avoid them for the most part.
I even use a leaf of lettuce for the "bread" for my cheeseburger. Its actually quite yummy!

Patrece
JUST DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING!
Obesity Help Support Group Leader & Coach
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy          

Lost 114 lbs. working on getting rid of a recent 10 lb regain...and WILL succeed! 

Kathy B.
on 8/29/09 7:22 am - Virginia, MN
I am a recipe thie***** this from an unjury email I received.

UNJURY Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls   Use Reduced Fat Creamy Jif Peanut Butter1 , 1 recipe makes 11 balls   Measure 3/4 cup Reduced Fat Peanut Butter and add to mixing bowl   Add 3 scoops of Chocolate UNJURY, 1 scoop at a time, stirring well after each scoop until dough is formed   Roll dough into 11 balls   Freeze overnight2   Optional additions: dried fruit (raisins, cranberries or cherries), spices (cinnamon or nutmeg), oatmeal, chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds)   Nutrition Facts per ball (makes 11):   10 grams protein, 9 grams carbohydrate, 6.5 grams fat, 3 grams sugar, 131 calories  
1 Other varieties of peanut butter may be used. Nutrition facts are based on using Reduced Fat Creamy Jif Peanut Butter. Be sure to check the label for variation in nutrition facts.   2 Store in freezer or refrigerator until ready to serve. The peanut butter will soften when left at room temperature.  
OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

Tina Welch
on 5/10/12 2:59 pm
On August 29, 2009 at 2:22 PM Pacific Time, Kathy B. wrote:
I am a recipe thie***** this from an unjury email I received.

UNJURY Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls   Use Reduced Fat Creamy Jif Peanut Butter1 , 1 recipe makes 11 balls   Measure 3/4 cup Reduced Fat Peanut Butter and add to mixing bowl   Add 3 scoops of Chocolate UNJURY, 1 scoop at a time, stirring well after each scoop until dough is formed   Roll dough into 11 balls   Freeze overnight2   Optional additions: dried fruit (raisins, cranberries or cherries), spices (cinnamon or nutmeg), oatmeal, chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds)   Nutrition Facts per ball (makes 11):   10 grams protein, 9 grams carbohydrate, 6.5 grams fat, 3 grams sugar, 131 calories  
1 Other varieties of peanut butter may be used. Nutrition facts are based on using Reduced Fat Creamy Jif Peanut Butter. Be sure to check the label for variation in nutrition facts.   2 Store in freezer or refrigerator until ready to serve. The peanut butter will soften when left at room temperature.  
 Oh, I love PB Balls, will have to try!

"I wake up every day with the realization that this is it, that there's only one shot at this life and I can either enjoy the ride and live it to its fullest and to my highest potential or I can stay the way I am. " Author Unknown
~Tina~

Kathy B.
on 9/14/09 12:38 pm - Virginia, MN

Borrowed from Pam T.  She has some good sounding recipes.

Caramel Apple Protein Cider

2 cups non-fat powdered milk
1 1/2 cups vanilla protein powder (equal to 6 scoops)
1/2 cup Splenda
6 pkts sugar free Apple Cider mix
1/2 box sugar free butterscotch dry pudding mix (equal to approx 3 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon nutmeg

Combine all ingredients together and mix well and store in an airtight container.  When you're ready to make a mug of cider, here's how:

Add 1/2 cup of mixture to mug. Add a splash of cold water and mix well until you have a smooth paste with no lumps.  Slowly add ho****er and continue mixing to eliminate any lumps. I have large mugs so I used about 10-12oz of water per batch.  If you have smaller mugs, then reduce the amount of dry mix. 

If you want to mix your drink the "automated" way (like I do), here's how.  Add 1/2c mixture to a blender jar and add the splash of cold water.  Turn on the blender on low and let it mix and then slowly add ho****er from the tea kettle while the blender is still whirling.  Pour into a mug and enjoy.  

Makes 8 servings:
Calories:  161
Fat: 1.5g
Carbs: 15g
Protein:  25g

Whole batch stats: 
Calories - 1289
Fat - 12g
Carbs - 119g
Protein - 204g

OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

Patrece S.
on 9/18/09 2:47 pm - CO
Kewl! Thanks so much for sharing Kathy!

Patrece
JUST DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING!
Obesity Help Support Group Leader & Coach
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy          

Lost 114 lbs. working on getting rid of a recent 10 lb regain...and WILL succeed! 

Flo W.
on 10/2/09 11:39 am, edited 10/2/09 11:39 am - Kansas via Chicago, IL
Does anyone have any pureed food recipes? Any they tried and liked?

Blessed beyond measure!       
Kathy B.
on 10/10/09 5:27 am - Virginia, MN
Hi Flo,  I really liked refried beans.  I would put 1/4 cup fat free refried beans on a small plate, add some shredded cheese.  Microwave until cheese melts, top with plain greek yogurt and pureed salsa.  Protein in the beans, cheese, yogurt.  Looks like a bean dip that I would have used chips with in my previous life, it tastes good just as is.  Yummm.

I also like to make protein malt-o-meal.  I take 1/2 cup water, dash of salt, Mix in 1/2 cup powdered milk.  This should be made in at least a 2 cup size bowl, it expands during cooking.  Add 4and a half teaspoons of malt-o-meal or cream of wheat cereal, stir and cook in microwave for 1 minute.  Stir and continue to cook, stir every 30 seconds till consistency you like.  Add 1 tsp margarine and enjoy.  This had 15-16 grams of protein and sticks with you a while,  make a little thinner for pureed stage, thicker for later.

I also pureed no sugar added peach slice or two with cottage cheese, another soothing food.  Hope this helps.
OH Support Group Leader

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/11 2:02 pm
Try this....

1 egg
(Egg sub or whites or the whole eggs, whatever you like)
1 or 2 oz of ff or 1% cottage cheese

Drain water from the cottage cheese.
Mix all and scramble...

Sounds gross but ooooooooh so good! Makes a YUMMY cheesy scrambled egg. You can puree or leave some of the water in order to thin.
Kathy B.
on 10/24/09 9:35 am, edited 10/24/09 9:36 am - Virginia, MN

Butternut mini protein muffins

makes 24

DRY ingredients:
5 scoops familla or cinnamon whey protein (I used body fortress)
1 cup splenda
big shakes of cinnamon and nutmeg
2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt

WET ingredients:
1/3 cup mashed butternut squash (may substitute canned pumpkin)
4 tbsp margarine
1/4 cup egg beaters
1 tsp vanilla extract

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Mix wet ingredients in a small bowl: dump into dry ingredients and mix well.
3) Spray 2 mini muffin tins well (makes 24 muffins) with non stick spray
4) Fill each cup about 3/4 full with mixture.
5) Bake 10 minutes and take out right away.

Real nice with a little butter spray!

Stats per mini muffin:
Cals: 44.7
Fat: 1.25 grams
Carbs 1.7 grams
Protein 5.8 grams
Fiber 0.35 grams

Recipe gleaned from Jupiter here on OH.  Tried it 10/24/09  Yummmmmm. 
Do not over bake. Edited for a typo.
OH Support Group Leader

Kathy B.
on 10/26/09 11:40 am - Virginia, MN
For the Chocolate Mini Muffins-- use Nik's chocolate brownie mix. I used Egg Beaters, but wouldn't suggest it-- they're a little more cakey than I would have liked-- so fat woulda helped the fudginess.  And don't leave in oven 10 minutes-- bake ten and take 'em out!

But made with egg beaters, the numbers per mini muffin (her recipe yields 12 big-uns-- you'll get muffin tops!)   Dry ingredients: 5 Scoops chocolate whey 1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder 2 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. baking soda   Wet ingredients: 4 tbsp blue bonet light 1 estra large egg 1 c. splenda 1/3 c. no sugar added applesauce 1 tsp. vanilla extract   Additional: 2-3 oz chopped peanuts   Directions: 1. Mix together margarine, egg and applesauce until well mixed.  Add vanila extract. 2. In a saparate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients well. 3. Pour dry ingredients into wet and mix, mix, mix. 4. Stir in chopped peanuts and mix more. 5. Pour into 9x13 baking pan what has been sprayed with nonstick spray and bake on 350 for about10 minutes.  Then turn off oven and let them sit another 10 minutes. 6. Remove from heat, allow to cool, ad cut into desired amount of squares.  

Cals: 42.6
Fat 1.4g
Carbs 1.25
Protein: 5.9g
Fiber .75g

OH Support Group Leader

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader