Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » Bariatric friendly ...

Bariatric friendly recipes / Let's share!

Erin B.
on 7/15/10 1:39 am, edited 7/15/10 1:39 am
Amalia,
I am so intemidated by eggplant, I have never attempted to cook it. However, I am definately going to try this. Plus I just love the name little shoes. Thank you so much for this. I look forward to see if you post any more.

Erin Bickley
Amalia S.
on 6/25/10 7:50 am, edited 6/25/10 8:04 am - Athens, Greece
I've been in a "recipe mood" lately and I've been tweaking some of my favorite Greek reciepes to make them WLS-friendly. Here is one of my favorite quick breakfast or light lunch recipes that may surprise you with how good it is.

Oh! This is great for the "mushies" phase too!

Egg, tomato, feta cheese combo
(serves 1)

1 egg

1 small ripe tomato, diced

1 oz feta cheese, diced

1/2 - 1 tsp EVOO

salt, pepper

Heat oil in pan. Add tomatoes and stir fry for 5 minutes. Drop in egg and stir. Add feta cheese and stir some more until it starts melting a bit. Don't overcook, about 2 min. for the egg plus the feta should be enough. Sprinkle salt to taste and plenty of black pepper.

If your diet allows, you may accompany with a slice of thick Greek, Italian or French bread.

Enjoy!

Over 110 lbs lost!! (Finally!)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/almost/   
Patrece S.
on 6/25/10 8:42 am - CO
Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing! The egg feta one sounds especially good to me. (Maybe cuz it is easier to prepare? haha)

Patrece
JUST DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING!
Obesity Help Support Group Leader & Coach
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy          

Lost 114 lbs. working on getting rid of a recent 10 lb regain...and WILL succeed! 

karaokebabe
on 9/13/10 1:07 am
This morning I decided I needed to try my hand at making my own protein drink because I haven't been able to stomach the ones I've bought. So here is what I come up with.

Strawberry Banana protein smoothie

1cup + an extra splash  of 1% milk of your choice ( I used organic valley 1%)
1 packet carnation instant breakfast french vanilla
1/2 scoop virtually tasteless protein powder
1/2 of a banana
4 good sized frozen strawberries * no sugar added
2-4 ice cubes

blend to your desired consistency.

with my protein powder the protein content added up to approx. 21.5g

Mine tastes very banana flavored. I could have added more strawberries or even a strawberry yogurt. There are many ways you could adjust this recipe to make it to your liking. I made my very liquified ( thats the extra splash of milk) because I'm only 6 days post op and wanted to make sure it went down smooth.

Teresa

Darlene E.
on 9/16/10 3:59 am, edited 9/16/10 4:00 am - Harrow, Canada
Had a hard time drinking protein shakes so I developed my own.

Protein Ice Cap

Ingredients:

1 cup skim milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 tbs General Foods International Coffee- SF, decaf Swiss Mocha
1 tsp decaf instant coffee.

Blend together for a delicious drink.
Add ice to make it thicker like a milk shake.

*** adding milk to the blender first makes it blend better.

SINCE MY RNY NOVEMBER 10 2008

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Food Diary

Amalia S.
on 10/9/10 4:17 am - Athens, Greece
I still keep tweaking my meals to make them WLS friendly while still keeping the taste. Now, there is no more WLS friendly fish than tilapia, however, hubby demanded to fry it! I don't do "fried" if I can help it, so I devised a way to trick him and here is the result:

Oven fried tilapia

6-7 tilapia filets
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs or egg whites 
1 tbsp cajun seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Wash the tilapia, let the water drain. You need 3 bowls one with the flour, 1 with the eggs and 1 with the bread crumbs.
Dredge the fish through the flour and coat it lightly.
Dredge the flour coated fish through the egg until coated.
Dredge the egg-coated fish through the breadcrumbs in which you've added the cajun mix, the salt and the pepper.

Spray a pan lightly with Pam and place the fish in a single layer.  Bake in a pre-warmed oven on high heat (about 450 F or 230 C) for 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve with a salad.

Hubby couldn't believe the fish was not fried and he LOVED it so much he told me to make it like this every time.

I also made this tweaked sauce for the fish and it was so good, I almost didn't get to even taste it, it went so fast.

Dill-yogurt sauce for fish

1/2 cup Fage 2% fat Greek yogurt
3 tbspns Mayonaise light
1 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
3 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients and let stand in the fridge for a couple of hours.

The sauce is for 7 servings so don't worry about the calories. Next time I think I'll double the sauce recipe, it was so good.

Over 110 lbs lost!! (Finally!)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/almost/   
(deactivated member)
on 2/8/11 1:19 pm
Mashed Celery Root (Celeriac)

Ingredients
Celery root (approx. 1 lb.)
1 tbsp. butter
dash of salt & pepper.

Celery root is very high in potassium - nearly 200mg per 4 oz. serving!
Directions
Peel the celery root and chop into 1" cubes. Put into a medium sauce pan and cover with water. Boil for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain thoroughly and mash (preferably with a stick blender****il smooth. Stir in butter and season with salt & pepper.

The serving size is 4 oz. and you'll get about 4 servings from a large celery root.

Number of Servings: 4

Patrece S.
on 2/8/11 1:23 pm - CO
Sounds interesting! I have never had celery root (that I know of). Not sure I even know what it looks like??? I'll have to take a look in the produce dept next time i am at the store, and see if I can find one. Thank you for sharing!

Patrece
JUST DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING!
Obesity Help Support Group Leader & Coach
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy          

Lost 114 lbs. working on getting rid of a recent 10 lb regain...and WILL succeed! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/11 2:40 pm
Heres a good picture and some more info

http://www.culinarytips.net/2010/02/celery-root/
tim blossfield
on 6/2/11 7:38 am - WI
if anyone is looking for a  mexican style rice with vegies  i will post a link latter     after i make it  and let ya know how it is  is is very low in cal   considringright now   i  dont have to  count   carbs  is good  

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader