Bariatric Buddy

Groups » Bariatric Buddy » Discussion » New to the group!!

New to the group!!

Stacy B.
on 10/20/14 3:08 am - Latty, OH
with

Here's my question, I'm planning on seeing my Dr for my consult soon I hope, and before I go, I would like feedback if possible...here's my question.." Why did you choose the weight loss surgery you chose?" I would like to hear your reasons, just curious as to which direction to head to research. Any help would be great !!

(deactivated member)
on 11/14/14 4:25 am

Hi - I chose the sleeve because I wanted to keep my stomach. The complete gastric was too risky I felt and I didn't like the idea of having to be dependent on vitamins for the rest of my life. I originally wanted to do the lap band but my doctors here don't do it anymore. They haven't had much long term success with that one. I am just in the process myself, and at least 3 months away from surgery. My Uncle's wife however relies on her surgery side effects to keep her on the straight and narrow diet wise. (dumping syndrome) She's a year post op and has lost over 100 lbs. She swears by gastric. Hope this helps.

AJMP
on 12/30/14 2:24 pm

Hello dear I think you might want to check on the vitamin thing .. I had the sleeve and have to do vitamins twice a day. Not trying to put a damper on things just want you to have the info needed to move forward. Dumping symdrom can be pretty bad but not everyone gets that.

AJMP
on 12/30/14 2:30 pm

I chose the sleeve because it was the middle ground (i don't like needle too much so the band was right out) the full bypass seemed to have too many complications. I am almost at my year mark from having the surgery. A few things cropped up I didn't know could/would be a thing. I have always had an issue with aspartame (think sweet n low) it dose very bad things to my stomach and intestines. However I never had much issue with other artificial sweeteners. After the surgery that changed. Monk fruit is the only thing I found that doesn't make me violently ill. I also suggest pre operation finding the "shake" flavors you like and getting the vanilla so that extract flavorings like banana, cherry, and so forth can be added. Afew weeks might not seem like long but 4-6 weeks of just one flavor wears on you quick. Good luck!

co_dreamer
on 2/10/15 9:32 am - Montrose, CO
VSG on 03/17/15

Hi I am just getting started.  My surgery date will be 3/17/15.   anxious but nervous.  I can only have the sleeve because I have crohns.  I would welcome any tips or advice.  I wish you luck on your journey.

Patrece S.
Group Leader

Kathy B.
Co- Leader