2013 gastric sleevers

Groups » 2013 gastric sleever... » Discussion » Experience with sur...

Experience with surgery

Lady N.
on 9/26/13 7:18 am

Hello Everyone,

I have my surgery Dec 2nd, 2013. I know that everyone situation is different, but I  just wanted some of you to share your experiences with me if you all don't mind.

Lisa P.

dorothy W.
on 9/26/13 10:44 pm
VSG on 09/05/13

I had my surgery Sept 5 2013, 3 weeks ago, along with hernia repair. I have lost 30 pounds so far, 10 of that was from my pre-op diet.  Surgery went great!  I am walking daily as directed.  I am having a little trouble drinking all the water need, but working on it. Its getting easier as the swelling goes down. Just started adding a few soft foods as directed by my doctor for protein. But since doing so my weight loss as slowed to only a pound every couple of days and also I've been waking up at night with my stomach burning. Anybody else have that happen to them?  Anyway  I read the weight loss didn't slow down until solid foods were started. Just feeling a little discouraged about what will happen when I start eating solid foods.

pennymcq
on 10/3/13 3:12 am

I had my surgery July 17th 2013 and yes I haze lost 57 pounds but have been very very sick. I was hospitalized 2 times after surgery. The protein is very hard to drink, you may have to shop around for the right one. Definately get the Georges aloe vera water that you can get at a health food store, this helps sooth the stomach. Also, liquid Zinc you should get from your nutrionist, that helps to heal. I have had a very bad experience from all of this and just wish i could feel better. I still am not able to eat much, was on a liquid diet for 2 months because of all my issues I had.  It is important to take your vitamins. I was very low on my potassioum when I went in the hospital the 2nd time and they had to give me 4 bags through an IV, and that is very painful. I wish you the best.

cbeals
on 10/24/13 3:04 am - WA
VSG on 10/01/13

Hi, hope you are getting excited! 

I had my surgery on October 1, 2013.   So far I love it.  I was 330 on Sept 15th and 319 day of surgery. At one week I was 309 and at two weeks I was 305.  I will not weigh myself until November 1st (one month post-op). That way I don't get discouraged or over zealous. 

The post op diet for me was low carb (under 40) and that was it, the Surgeon said my liver looked excellent and was very foldable (they need to lift it to get to the stomach).  I was back to work after the first weeks checkup. for a few days it was okay, but a little tired and I wasn't putting in enough of the water so I became constipated, once I bumped my water intake back up I was fine (this took a week and a half).  The only side effect or painful part is due to the hernia repair I had that I wasn't expecting. Its under the breast bone area and when I burp or swallow something too large I feel it right there.  This has gotten way better over the past few weeks and I now rarely feel it at all.  I am 25 days post op (just over 3 weeks). I still have not been cleared to exercise, though I did walk at the pumpkin patch last Saturday slow and level ground. :)

As for Protein drinks they stink, I don't care for any of them except UnJury  brand, I love the unflavored I added it to everything.  I still do if my protein is low for the day. It doesnt have the icky aftertaste and seems to mix well with anything I've tried so far, even in my Chrystal Lite.

Friend me if you'd like I post a blog weekly with my progress.

slimmac
on 3/13/14 1:00 am

Well, I am not a 2013 sleeved but a 2014 sleeved. I am new to social networking. I am having my surgery on 18 Mar 2014. I am excited but nervous. I read about how much water we are supposed to have PER hour and want to know why is it hard. I take 15-20 mls /swallow. What happens those first days after surgery to take water at a lesser rate than a swallow?