STAGE I – FIRST 2 WEEKS POST-OP
1. Liquids only from list below 3 times daily at set times.
2. Liquid protein supplements 3 times daily between meals and
NOTE: Most people can only drink 1 protein drink per day the first
2-3 days due to swelling.
Remember: small amounts (4-6 ounces)
GO SLOWLY (30 minutes to drink 6 ounces)
When you feel full STOP!
NO carbonated drinks
Coffee, tea, fruit juice (NO orange or grapefruit)
Crystal light, Nutrasweet, Sugar free Kool-Aid
Protein drinks as advised by the doctor
Skim milk or Lactaid milk
Sugar free Jell-O or Sugar free popsicles
Low fat yogurt
Sugar free pudding
Applesauce or baby food fruit
STAGE II FULL LIQUIDS FOR 2 WEEKS
Full liquids from the list below can now gradually be added to
1. 3 meals per day with a liquid protein supplement twice
daily between meals.
2. NO liquids with meals if soft food is included. You must wait 30-45
minutes for the pouch to empty before drinking.
3. CHEW WELL- the food must be almost liquefied before swallowing.
FULL LIQUID DIET(anything you had to eat with a spoon or could
Soup with noodles
Cream of wheat
STAGE III – SOFT DIET
Soft fruit (banana, melon, strawberries)
Cooked vegetables and fresh green vegetables
Soft pasta (well chewed)
Toast or crackers
Gradually add regular foods and remember:
Eat only at set meal times
NO LIQUIDS with meals or for 30-45 minutes afterwards.
Avoid cheap calories
High Calorie Liquids
Sweets, ice cream, junk food, cookies
Protein supplement drinks 1 time a day for 1 month