IVC filter removal on October 11, 2007 7:17 am
Well I am a few days late in updating about my filter removal but her goes: I have the IVC filter removed on Monday 10/8. I was a little nervous going in but then, when the Dr came in and talked to me, I was even more nervous. He told me that since the filter had been in almost 2 months it is harder to get out. He told me there was an 85% chance that they could get it out (leaving a 15% chance that they couldn't). He said if they could not get it out then it would have to stay in permanently. Well, by this point I wanted it out. Which is strange, because in the beginning when they put it in, I kine of wanted it to stay in permanently. That was until I started thinking about this foreign body inside me. Plus there is always a chance that it could "un hook" itself from the vein and go floating around. Anyway, back to the removal - The day sucked because it seems that the person who was to have a procedure right before me was an hour late - thus making my procedure an hour late and pushing everything back.....arrrgggghhh. My poor sister that had to sit and wait for me - Thank god she had taken a new trashy novel to keep her busy...lol. So - I finally get into the procedure room at 10:30 (supposed to be 9:30) They get me all prepped, draped and such then realize they need an ultrasound machine that is not in the room. Now mind you, here I lay on this flat table, head turned to the left - COMPLETELY - as in ear flat on the table- and I hear someone say it will ba a half an hour for the ultrasound machine. I was just getting ready to tell them that I could not lay like this for much longer and then, voila, in comes the machine. So, they finally give me my happy drugs and get the procedure started. Now at one point I do feel the injection of numbing medicine in my neck but then I feel the blood coming out of my vein (jugular vein I might add) and as I am about to say - hey I am bleeding here - they cover it and begin the procedure. I couldn't really feel anything, but I could sense the instrument or cath or whatever it was going into the vein - weird feeling. I ask for more loopey drugs, which I get, and then they are done....now I wasn't asleep but its amazing how time flies when you are "high".
Now, I have to say, my neck was so damn sore that day and the next. Way more so that when they inserted the filter. And the bruising.....OMG I looked like someone tried to kill me, or strangle me or stab me or something.....but at least its over. Hooray, the little spider thing is out. I will post some pics on my profile soon.
So, now I am done with hosital visits for a while (hopefully) and now must just concentrate on getting my coumadin levels back to therapeutic levels and life it great.
I will say, if I ever have to have another of these filters put in for any reason, I will make sure it is NOT left in as long as this one was. The longer its in the harder it is to get out.
| Leave a comment.
6 week post op visit on October 4, 2007 6:15 am
Well I am a little slow in updating - had my 6 week post of visit with Dr Ali on the 2nd and he said I am doing great, but did tell me to eat slower - seems I ate that first chicken thigh in 30 minutes and it should take me 45. Other than that he said everything is great and I go back in 6 weeks. I am down 40 lbs and I couldn't be happier - who would of thought.....I feel so amazing and feel so so so blessed to have been able to have this surgery and really get this obesity under control and get this weight off forever...
I am having my IVC filter removed on Monday, 10/8. I am a little nervous but not to bad. Have to get current blood work done tomorrow . Now, I am off of my coumadin again and started my lovenox injections yesterday. Oh hooray, here come the nasty bruises on my belly again. Guess its a small price to pay to be safe..but holy crap the price of these injections might kill me. Seems my insurance has a loop hole - once you reach $3000 in prescription costs (and that is the full price of the RX not what I pay - then I have to pay full price for specialty drugs -of which lovenox is one. So, I go pick up the prescription Monday and - the price was $691 - yep you read it right - $691 (and that wasn't the total since I still had $460 left to get to the $3000. Anyway, I had to pay the $691 and I almost had to have the Target pharmacist call 911 since I thought I would have a heart attack - lol. All I can say is this better be the last batch of these injections for this year or I will be in the poor house. At least my regular meds don't fall under this $3000 thing and they will still be paid for...
I am feeling awesome - and people are really beginning to notice my weight loss. It is so fun to have people tell me how good I look and to make comments about my weight loss - It just makes it all that much more worth it.
I have the best support around me - family friends and of course my OH family. Thank you - all of you - for supporting me and helping me through this journey.
And on another awesome note, my friend CHRIS R nominated me for POTW for this week.....wow, I am so surprised. More than surprised, I am honored and overwhelmed and flattered. Little ole me - Person of the week - what an incredible honor. I am so thankful for all of my friends here on OH, I can't even tell you. I just wish I had found this site years ago. To all of you who wished me congrats and offered such kind words, thank you, I hope I can live up to the honor of being your POTW this week.
Thank you Thank you Thank you - you are AWESOME and I love you all.......
| Leave a comment.