Weight Loss Survey Responses
The following are Laura B.'s responses to the Weight Loss Survey:
- Describe your behavioral and emotional battle with weight control before learning about bariatric surgery.
- I had tried every diet out there and had even taken diet pills. With every diet I would do well for a while and then when I went off of it I would gain back all of my weight and then 5-10 lbs more.
The biggest emotional battle was feeling like a failure, over and over again.
- What was (is) the worst thing about being overweight?
- Buying clothes. Not fittin into chairs or on rides. Having furniture break while you are on it. Feeling winded doing moderate activity. And number one is seeing the weight come back on, over and over again.
- How did you first find out about bariatric surgery and what were your initial impressions of it?
- Actually I found this site and started asking people questions. Once I had consulted with a surgeon I let people know I was considering it and I started recieving names and numbers for people who were post op. They were very helpful. I actually interviewed about 60 people prior to having the surgery.
- What was your stay in the hospital like? How long where you there? What things are most important to bring?
- I was in the hospital for 4 days and was very happy with my care. I think the most important thing to bring is your own pillow!
- Did you have any complications from the surgery? If so, how did you deal with them?
- None yet
- In the weeks after you got your surgery date, how did you feel? How did you cope with any anxiety you might have felt?
- Every day I felt stronger and stronger. I went back to work 2 weeks post op. I was prepared for the post op life style and have not felt any anxiety.
- What aftercare support group/program do you have? How helpful/important is this?
- I keep in contact with other post op people and I go to a support group at a local hospital.
- What is your scar like? Is this what you expected?
- 3 inches long with 2 small circular scars on each side. I was hoping to do it Lap but he was not able to. The scars dont really bother me at this point.
- Please describe any plateau experiences you have had since surgery.
- None yet.
- Do you notice people treating you any differently now?
- Not really. Everyone comments on my success so far.
- What things do you most enjoy doing now that you weren't able to do before?
- Crossing my legs. Donating my 3 and 4 X clothes to a local shelter. Not having to hold my breath to tie my shoes! Looking small in the obese chairs at my doctors office.