Weight Loss Survey Responses
The following are Janie D.'s responses to the Weight Loss Survey:
- Describe your behavioral and emotional battle with weight control before learning about bariatric surgery.
- All my life I have been told I was chubby, or solid, or just plain old "FAT". During my teens, my Grandfather, God bless his soul, would tell me, my thighs were bigger that his waist or my arm were bigger that his leg. It hurt but I didn't tell him or anyone else. You know, I'm a big girl and I can handle it. I did the cabbage soup diet. I liked it so, it did not help. In my early 20's, I gained 75 lbs with my first son. He weighed 9lbs 8ozs & was 21 1/2" long. You know back then you were eating for two when pregnant. I tries Nutri-Systems, to help lose the baby fat. I could not handle their food. I tried but I do not throw up well. So, I got off that. Here comes the weight back plus so more pounds. I then went to Weight Watchers. I would lose but we hit hard times and I could not go. So I gained the weight back plus. In my late 20's, I went to a diet doctor and bought diet pills. I didn't like the way they made me feel. I don't like the feeling of my hair standing on end. I was 30 yrs old when I became pregnant with my second son. I did NOT have gestational diabetes but I was treated as if I did. (diet and excersie and extra rest.) I lost 33 pounds with him and he weighed 8 lbs 10ozs & was 22" long. I gained that weight back plus. I just keep gaining. At teh age of 35 yrs old, I became pregnat with my third son again, I was treated as if I had gestational diabetes. I lost 40 lbs with him and he weighed 10lbs 7 oz and was 23" long. He was delivered 2 weeks early so you can imagine how big he would have been. I gained that back plus more. I found out I was diabetic in 1998 and cut back on carbs & sugar products. Tried to eat right and excerise. I tried Adva-Care the spring of '01 and did ok but my PCP did not want my on it because it raised by blood pressure. so, I got off that and have been trying to reduce by myself. With no luck at present I weigh 327lbs, stand 5'5" and I'm 41 yrs old.
- What was (is) the worst thing about being overweight?
- Not being able to enjoy outings with my sons. Not looking like a Mom but looking old enough to be their grandma. (I was ask once was I Travis' grandma. I was 33 yrs old when that happen.) I hate looking and feeling 20 yrs old then I am. Also, being overweight you can not go to any clothing store and buy reasonable size & priced clothes.
- How did you first find out about bariatric surgery and what were your initial impressions of it?
- My cousin had the stomach stapleing surgery about 7 yrs ago. She did real well. But she looks like she may have gain some of the weight back.
I was reading the paper a few months back and saw a notice of an up coming seminar at Tomorrow's Weigh at Nacogdoches Medical Center. I told my husband I was going and ask if he would go with me. He was very hesitant but he did go. We talked about what we had learn. But he was still not willing to give me his go ahead.
- Describe your experience with getting insurance approval for surgery. What advice, if any, do you have for other people in this stage?
- Denied the first time but insureance will change on
Sept 1. I will try again in Sept. Well. it's Sept & I have rcvd my APPROVAL letter.