Before and After VSG with Sarita, down 90 pounds!January 11, 2022
Why I decided to have WLS
There are several reasons why I decided to have WLS. I had a child in my late 30’s and after he was born, I tried countless diets and programs to lose weight for the next 17 years. I could never keep it off and always gained it back and then some. I was 53 when I decided to have WLS surgery. My husband had passed away the year before at age 58 and I ate my way through the grieving process up to 250 lbs. I was also diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I decided it was time to take charge of my health before something major happened to me.
I had the sleeve surgery on February 15, 2017, with Mexico Bariatric Center (MBC). My surgery weight was 250 pounds and I lost 90 pounds total in 18 months, meeting my goal weight of 160. I have been maintaining my goal weight for 3.5 years. The entire process with Mexico Bariatric Center was flawless from pre-op to post-op for guidance and support.
I followed the pre-op and post-op guidelines and did not deviate from them at all. I had absolutely NO complications or issues post-op. MBC also has a nutritionist on staff to help through the entire process. My only regret is not doing this sooner.
Before and After VSG with Sarita
Total Weight Loss: 90 pounds
Surgery Type: VSG
Surgery Date: 2/15/2017
Surgery Center: Mexico Bariatric Center
My Surgery and Post-Op Life
A lot of people say I took the easy way out, this is definitely not the easy way out. This surgery is a tool and is not magic. I work very hard to maintain my weight loss and have changed my entire lifestyle. This is the healthiest I have been in my adult life!
Special Milestones: Before and After VSG with Sarita
- NSV’s for me include shopping in the regular sizes and not plus sizes.
- I am now able to do things I never dreamed of doing, such as strength training 4 times a week with my trainer and I do yoga 4-5 times a week. These will be lifelong habits for me.
- I have been able to participate in 5K races, go horseback riding.
- My health has improved tremendously, my sleep has improved, my skin looks better and I look younger.
- I was able to wear a belt for the first time in 20 years and I was also able to wear a 2-piece bathing suit for the first time in over 20 years.
- One of the most exciting things I did was travel to Cuba solo on a cruise. Losing weight gave me the confidence to do this trip which was at the top of my bucket list.
My advice to anyone considering surgery or who has had the surgery, this is your own unique journey, do not compare yourself to others, and enjoy all of your victories, small or large!
Celebrate your own Before & After WLS Success, milestones, non-scale victories, and inspire others! The OH team wants to hear from you to share your weight loss surgery journey. Visit our Before & After Submission page for details.