Double Avocado Turkey Burger RecipeMay 24, 2019
If you like avocado in the teeniest bit, you’re going to love these flavorful burgers. I think it’s a great idea to have a library of healthy recipes that are as simple as possible, and this one falls into that category. There are just three main ingredients: lean turkey, avocado, and garlic. (In other words: protein, healthy fat, and powerful antioxidants!) Avocados are mashed into the burger, as well as being sliced on top.
I recommend eating burgers without buns, and instead, putting these on a bed of lettuce with a salted tomato, and some red onion to kick up that mellow avocado. There's so much flavor packed into this burger that a bun would only take away from all that flavor!
Double Avocado Turkey Burger Recipe
Recipe by: Annessa Chumbley, RD
Serves: 4, serving size: 1 patty
Prep time: 5 minutes; Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 small ripe avocados, pit removed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. If you’re using a grill, preheat it to medium. If you’re using the stovetop, spray a skillet with nonstick spray and heat it to medium.
2. Scoop one avocado into a medium bowl and gently mash with a fork, leaving some chunks (save the other avocado for later). Grate garlic cloves into the bowl. Add in turkey, salt, and pepper. Gently mix until everything is evenly incorporated, but be careful not to overmix.
3. Shape the mixture into four patties, making a slight dent into the middle of each patty. Place on grill or in the pan, and cook six minutes per side flipping once, until the internal temperature reaches 165º.
4. Remove and place each burger on lettuce, tomato, and red onion. Slice the second avocado and top each burger with three slices. Sprinkle a little sea salt and pepper. Yum.
Nutritional Info Per Serving
Calories 307; Carbohydrates 8.2 grams; Fat 21.3 grams, Protein 23.8 grams; Dietary Fiber 6.0 grams
(The fat grams can be reduced by adjusting the amount of avocado used.)
ABOUT THE AUTHORAnnessa Chumbley, RD, is a bariatric dietitian and her website "Annessa Nutritionist" provides inspiring nutrition information to the bariatric community and general public. She enjoys getting the community healthy through nutrition segments on Indianapolis' FOX 59 Morning News, and 93.1 WIBC called "Power Up Your Week!", as well as a local healthy cooking show.
Find more recipes from Annessa!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|