Easy Mexican Lasagna Recipe: The Today Show Loved It!August 5, 2022
Holly Clegg’s Crispy Mexican Lasagna recipe, known as Crispy Southwestern Lasagna, from her Eating Well to Fight Arthritis cookbook makes a delicious easy recipe for a quick family meal that freezes well so you can cook it on your own time frame. Holly made this recipe on a healthy cooking segment of the NBC Weekend Today Show. One bite by the talent and they went crazy! They loved the easy freezer instructions, and the cookbook soared to #4 on Amazon!
This Crispy Southwestern Lasagna is also gluten- free with corn tortillas. You can use corn or flour tortillas in this recipe, but corn tortillas make it gluten-free.
All lasagnas freeze well and this easy freezer meal tastes just as good after freezing. Whip up this Mexican lasagna recipe and pull it out on those busy nights. This healthy, easy recipe feeds a crowd. Try serving it with fresh salsa and guacamole – YUM!
Mexican Lasagna Recipe
Crispy Southwestern Lasagna is outrageously popular and an easy lasagna to prepare. I make this easy dinner and best of all, this is also a healthy Mexican lasagna.
Recipe by: Team Holly Clegg of The Healthy Cooking Blog
Makes 10 servings
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups reduced-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- 14 6-inch corn or flour tortillas cut into quarters (corn for Gluten-free option)
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven 350 ̊F. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook meat over medium heat until done. Add tomatoes with juice, green chilies, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and season to taste. Set aside.
- In bowl, blend egg whites and cottage cheese well. Set aside. Tip: I prefer blending the cottage cheese in a food processor until it’s smooth. However, ricotta cheese may be used for the cottage cheese.
- Line baking dish with six quartered tortillas. Layer all the corn, half meat mixture, half cheese, four quartered tortillas, then all cottage cheese mixture, remaining half meat mixture, and remaining four quartered tortillas. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Calories 239; Carbohydrates 20 grams; Fat 7 grams; Protein 25 grams
Check out other recipes by Holly Clegg & Team Holly on ObesityHelp!
ABOUT THE AUTHORWith over 1 million cookbooks sold, Holly Clegg was a culinary expert on easy and healthy recipes. She appeared on Fox & Friends, NBC Weekend Today, QVC, The 700 Club, USA Today, Cooking Light Magazine, Web MD, & Huff Post. She consulted for Walmart, Teflon, Coca-Cola Company, & U.S. hospitals. Team Holly has the privilege to continue to share Holly's passion for healthy cooking with her Trim and Terrific recipes & to keep her legacy going for gastric cancer awareness. See more recipes by Holly!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|