Jalapeno Popper Chicken RecipeApril 24, 2020
This Jalapeno Popper Chicken Recipe is topped with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and jalapenos, and is a lower-carb way to enjoy your favorite jalapeno poppers.
You can grill or bake the Jalapeno Popper Chicken, which makes it easy to make if you love grilling or prefer to make it in your kitchen. Let’s talk about the players involved in this dish, fresh diced jalapenos, green onions, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. You could also add in some chopped bacon as an option. All of these delicious ingredients are made on a chicken, which makes it moist and juicy.
If you prefer to tone down the spice, that's no problem. You can easily substitute regular bell peppers, roasted red peppers for a spice-free version, or use Poblano peppers for a milder spice.
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Recipe
Recipe by: Kristen McCaffrey of Slender Kitchen
- 1.33 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, 4 pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 tbsp. green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your grill or preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Grill it for 5-7 minutes per side or until cooked through. In the oven, place the chicken in a baking dish and cook for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, mix together the jalapenos, cream cheese, green onions, and cheddar cheese.
- For the grill: Take the cooked chicken and place it on a piece of foil. Spread the cream cheese jalapeno mixture on top and return to grill. Close top with grill for 3-4 minutes until cheese begins to melt.
- For the oven: Remove the baking dish and spread the cream cheese jalapeno mixture over the chicken. Return to oven and cook 8-10 minutes or until cheese I creamy and melted.
Tips for Making Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- Control the Spice Level: If you like things spicy, leave in the seeds when dicing the jalapenos. For a milder spice, remove the seeds and veins. You can also try different peppers. Poblano peppers have a milder heat than jalapenos and for no heat at all, just use a green or red bell pepper. For extra heat, add a serrano pepper to the mix or just add some chili powder or cayenne to the cream cheese mixture.
- Casserole-Style Dish: If you prefer to make this as a casserole, start by layering in the chicken over a bed of cauliflower rice. Layer the raw chicken over the cauliflower rice and top with the cream cheese mixture. Baked for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Sometimes I make a little extra cream cheese and jalapeno pepper topping for this option. If you use cauliflower rice, make sure to adjust the nutritional
- Don't Overcook the Chicken: To make sure your chicken isn't overcooked, you may need to adjust the cooking time based on the thickness of the chicken. It's fine to add the jalapeno popper topping a little early so that the chicken doesn't overcook.
- Even Cooking of the Chicken: To ensure that your chicken is evenly cooked, you may want to pound or slice the chicken into a uniform thickness. This will also speed up the cooking time.
- Broil at the End of Cooking: For a bubbly and browned topping, broil the dish for the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Cheese: Any cheese will work for this recipe. You can use part-skim mozzarella, pepper jack, Monterey jack, basically anything that melts well.
- Buffalo Sauce: To make this dish really special, drizzle the whole thing with buffalo sauce when it comes out of the oven.
Nutritional Info Per Serving
Calories 226; Carbohydrates 2 grams; Fat 5 grams; Protein 37 grams
Check out more recipes from Slender Kitchen on ObesityHelp!
ABOUT THE AUTHORKristen McCaffrey makes a variety of healthy and delicious recipes that she shares on her website, SlenderKitchen.com. Before diving into the world of healthy cooking, she struggled to lose weight, eat well, and find a healthy balance in her life. She has always been in love with food and enjoys healthy recipe development. Kristen is passionate about cooking and creating delicious recipes that encourage other people to eat healthy. See more recipes from Kristen!
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|