Parmesan Chips and Salsa RecipesJune 15, 2015
Enjoy Chips and Salsa, Parmesan-Style!
Chips and salsa are a favorite of many people. What's the issue about chips and salsa for anyone health-minded? The chips have lots of carbs with some fat which makes them not a great choice for weight loss. Where's the protein in them? There usually isn't any. However, with these Parmesan Chips and Salsa, you won't load up on carbs.
I often get asked for appetizer ideas that are weight loss surgery or low-carb and don’t fall into the “diet food” category. My motto? Keep it simple! This version of Parmesan Chips and Salsa is fresh and delicious. The Salsa is versatile and can be served on top of your favorite protein for a nice punch of flavor. Perfect to enjoy anytime!
Parmesan Chips and Salsa
Parmesan Chips (No-Carbs)
Makes 16 servings
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (Yes, that really is the only ingredient!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place Parmesan cheese, by measured tablespoon “piles” onto a non-stick cookie sheet
- Gently spread out the little piles of cheese, making sure to leave an inch in between each one
- Bake for 5-8 minutes until melted, crisp, and very lightly browned (Watch them closely so they don’t burn or overcook)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Store in an airtight container once cooled
Nutritional Info (per 1 chip)
Calories 21; Carbohydrates 0 grams; Fat 1 gram; Protein 2 grams
Makes approximately 2 cups
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced and seeded (I use red, orange and yellow tomatoes)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small hot pepper (your choice of which kind), very finely diced or minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro or 1 ½ Tablespoon of prepared fresh minced cilantro
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice
- Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper
- In a mixing bowl, gently stir together the tomatoes, onion, hot pepper, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice
- Season with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to serve
Chips and Salsa Nutritional info (per 1/4 cup serving)
Calories 22; Carbohydrates 4 grams; Fat 0 gram; Protein 0.6 gram
Photo credit: Karen_M
Check out other recipes on ObesityHelp!
ABOUT THE AUTHORKaren_M is a nine year RNY vet and has been an active contributor to the ObesityHelp community for as many years. Karen has lost and maintained a 170 pound weight loss, runs a local support group, and co-hosts the Ontario Recipe Forum.
|Recipe Disclaimer: If you have specific dietary restrictions, allergies or a nutrition plan that you are following, make sure to read the ingredient list prior to consumption. All information on ObesityHelp.com is intended for informational purposes only. The information is not intended to be a replacement or substitute for consultation with a qualified medical professional. Please contact a medical professional with any questions and concerns.|