3 year update - the good, the bad & the ugly!

Vickie J
on 1/25/08 7:28 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Today, well since it is after midnight, yesterday, was my 3 yr WLS anniversary and I feel compelled to report in... Not to brag, but I was one of the one of those folks that "succeeded" with wls. On my 1 year anniversary I was well below my surgeon's goal and even a few lbs below my personal weight loss goal. I followed all the rules and even exercised some although I hate exercising. My doctor called me " the poster child for WLS". I spent most of 2006, my 2nd post-op year, having reconstructive plastic surgery. My 3 planned plastic surgeries became 5 due to complications but through it all I still managed to maintain my weight loss. With the plastic surgeries I traded skin for scars and even with the complications that required additional trips to the OR, I have no regrets about the plastic surgery. In Oct. 2007 I even lost another 8 lbs. during a time of severe family crisis. For the first time in my life I understood the concept of being too upset to eat. Whereas in the past, emotional upsets would have me eating the legs off the table this time I just couldn't eat a bite!! That weight loss put me way too low for my height so I eased up on my food restrictions so I could get back to a better weight. I began eating more carbs and gave in to my "sweet tooth", too. That was the beginning of my downhill slide. By the time I celebrated my 2nd wls anniversary on 1/25/07 I was back to my goal weight but was having severe shoulder (rotator cuff) and knee problems as well as complications from my last plastic surgery (Breast lift w/ augmentation). I was so tired of having surgery but knew I would need at least 3 more surgeries to correct the problems I was having. Between recovering from all the plastic surgeries and the knee & shoulder problems I had been unable to exercise, just able to do routine "life" activities for over a year but still holding close to my goal weight. In March 2007 I had knee surgery & shoulder surgery 2 weeks apart, then physcial therapy for 3 months. I completed my physical therapy, in June, just in time to have revision plastic surgery in July. Needless to say, I was unable to exercise for most of the 2007. I stopped keeping my food journal and continued to eat too many carbs and sweets. During that time I managed to gain another 30 lbs. I am so unhappy that I've allowed bad eating habits to creep back into my life. I worked so hard to have wls and to get to my weight loss goal but I seem unable or unwilling to do what it takes to get these re-gained pounds off. Don't get me wrong - I have absolutely no regrets about having weight loss surgery.... it was the best thing I could have done for my health, both physically and mentally. I lost over 140 lbs. and even with my re-gained weight, I'm proud of my accomplishment. I know that my post-op health problems are the results of the damage done by years of morbid obesity. So it really concerns me that I am not doing what I need to do to eat & live a healthy life. So as I begin another year in this wild, wonderful, wacky WLS journey I hope that by posting this I will feel that I am being held accountable by those who understand my struggle the best - YOU - my WLS buddies. Vickie J.
Beth D.
on 1/26/08 1:10 am - Northport, AL
Thanks for sharing I know how you feel about the regain (only, not the plastic surgery since I haven't had any yet) I will help you and support you! I can't get on the boards everyday but here's my email [email protected] I'm starting the 5 day pouch test this Tuesday 1/29 (day after my birthday) so that I can kick start losing the last 40 I have left! Good luck!
Vickie J
on 1/28/08 1:48 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Beth, Thank you for the support - I need all I can get!! My son's birthday is also on 1/28!! I had planned to begin the 5DPT today (Monday), then realized I have a dinner scheduled with friends on Tuesday night. I figured it did not make much sense to do 2 days of liquids when I was going to dinner on Day 2 at the Olive Garden. Didn't think there was much chance of staying on the plan!! So I've got check with my hubby to see what is planned for the weekend to decide if I'm going to begin the 5DPT on Wed. or wait until next Monday. Good luck to us both as we work to get back on track and get these pounds off for good!! Vickie J.
PegW
on 1/28/08 12:51 am - TROY, NY
Happy anniversary can you believe 3 years. I too think I am a success not so sure everyone does though. I started at over 300 currently am at 127. I guess I followed most of the rules always drink my water take in higher amounts of protein before anything else and do some exercise mostly walk. There are still a lot of foods that do not agree with me most meats unless in Chili or something like that and eggs. I eat a lot of fish (gets boring some times) yogurt, cheese and the never very far away protein shake or bar. Pasta of any variety does not like me but other carbs- potatoes, most breads, crackers, cookies all seem to go down easily. I have had no reconstructive surgery at this point money saved for this went to first daughters wedding. No complaints about that though. I actually don't think I looked to bad as the mother of the bride. It has certainly been a physical as well as emotional roller coaster these past three years. My head still plays games with me and I never seem to stop being amazed that I am as small as I am and that I won't wake up to the very unhappy, low self esteemed person I used to be. I wish everyone a Happy, healthy and lighter New Year with continued success to those that have attained it and a renewed awareness of what we need to do to take it off, maintain but most of all be happy with ourselves.
Vickie J
on 1/28/08 1:53 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Congrats on your success! Sounds to me like you're doing great!! So keep doing whatever you're doing!! Vickie J.
susanvelt
on 5/14/08 10:12 am
I hope I'm not too late in my reply. Thank you for sharing. I'm also three years out. Pre surgery I was 285 and am currently 155. Low weight was 145 and the last three weeks I've worked very hard to get down to 155 and hope to get back down to 145. 2007 was a rough year and i gained 25 pounds. Now i'm not sure how much i should eat or how often. I had heard that eating several small meals a day now is discouraged. Does anyone know why? What is "normal" three years out? I'm so afraid of stretching my stomach and permanent weight gain.
miztex
on 5/17/08 3:44 pm - Pharr, TX
Hey, Vicky, I haven't been back here in a while. As I was reading your post, I was thinking how similar our stories are(except for the plastic surgery part. I am saving up for a pedal harp and they start around $22, 000.00. So tummy will always sag. ) : ( My weight was very stable for three years(I thought the scale was broken because it NEVER moved!) Then, we had some family crisis' and I was the "responsible one" so I took over family members care and let myself go to pot. No exercise, bad eating habits, etc. My clothes started getting tight, but the scale didn't move. Then one day, I got on it and I had gained 12 lbs. !!! I ran to the doctor and weighed on his scale. Sure enough, I had gained. But not 12 lbs. 15 lbs.!!! So, I called a family meeting and told everyone that my health was impaired and I needed some help to get well again. My hubby pitched right in(although he has the same issues) and my kids were great. They monitored my portions, my speed(I invented speed eating, because in my job, you only had ten or 15 minutes to eat.) and they kept me honest ( I was sneaking bowls of cheetos at least one a week and had been seen eating a (shudder) DONUT!!!) I also started a very light daily work out. The clothes are looser, now. I am ten lbs. lighter and I have a new bathroom scale!!! I also quit my job and started my own business. I am so successful, I am turning away business! Not enough time! : ) We are moving to a new house that is beautiful and my kids will be going to a great new school. Things are looking up. Best Wishes to all of you on the board! And Vicky, don't worry, honey chile'...when you follow the plan, it still melts off like it did before. It just leaves us looking a little drippy! Lou Ann G.
Syndilouwho
on 6/27/08 5:38 am - PA
Hi, Lou Ann, Longggg time since I've posted too!!!! What kind of job did you start? And how has it helped withe your weight loss? Take care, Syndi
pazazztapper
on 7/5/08 2:15 pm - ss, OK
Vickie: I am so happy to see a group of ladies who are 3 years out. I am 3 1/2 years out. My low was 165 (started at 276) and I have gained back 18 pounds. I have a friend who had gastric bypass 4 years ago and she has gained around 15 back as well. It has been very frustrating as it seems like I want to graze all the time. I still can't eat large meals which is such a blessing, but, the chips & nuts are pretty tuff for me to turn down some days. I have made the decision to get back to the protein basics and to try to take my weight back down as well. Good luck to you. I am hoping we 3+ year wls'rs can support each other. It is much different once you get closer to the 3 year mark. Let me know you you are doing as well. Rita
Most Active
Recent Topics