What do you eat?

LovieMadison
on 3/6/08 6:45 am - Ehrhardt, SC
I am still eating pureed foods.... Mostly though all I eat is grits, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese and sometimes yogurt. I don't feel like I am eating enough... I am worried about not eating the right things .... I have tried like soft cooked eggs and they feel like a rock on my tummy. Also tried soups. I guess I just want someone to tell me that what I am doing is ok..... I think I eat about 2 to 3 ounces each time but then it just feels like I have eating so little visually but I just cant eat anymore. I eat that amount about 3 times a day sometimes less. I try to get two protein drinks in a day also on top of these fluids that I have to have. It is weird the way I feel... sometimes like I've eaten to much and sometimes like I am not eating enough . I am not sure what's going on. Can anyone tell me what they eat and if you think I am doing this ok.... thanks in advance for any help with this.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/8/08 9:29 am - Baltimore, MD
Well, having just returned from my 2 mos appt a couple of days ago and being told I am not eating nearly enough, I understand your frustration. I can eat more now and am starting to get closer to the caloric intake they want for me (800 a day they said. Have not achieved that yet but am getting close) and my protein intake (50g a day). I eat a lot eggs, peanut butter (on toast), chicken (soooo sick of chicken), tofu (usually in soups or substituted for chicken in dishes like stir fry), oatmeal, sometimes grits, a lot of soup, a crab cake (with very little filler), and of course my most hated protein shake. I think for me part of my problem is mental. I am very afraid of getting sick and am therefore afraid of food. After this appointment I resolved to try harder to get my calories in (in a good way of course) and have been getting better each day. If fish bothers you, put it off for a week. I lived on chicken soup for a good while there but that doesn't get you your protein. Do you supplement with a shake? You really should if you aren't getting in all your grams. Also, have you started exercising? I don't know why but since I've begun a vigorous exercise regimen I have been tolerating food much better. Good luck to you.
heartsablaze
on 3/12/08 2:58 am - Stafford, VA
Phew, I am so glad I am not the only one. I am 5 weeks out, and I find myself forcing myself to eat, in the same instance affraid to because I don't want to get sick. I am battle brain hunger and I think my biggest fear is that I don't want to get in the habit of eatting because I am bored. I drink an isopure shake everyday but I should probably drink more and drinking water is one of my tougher issues to overcome. I am thinking of keeping a journal to see exactly how much I am taking in, instead of estimating. I had my surgery in Missouri so I don't have anyone to discuss this with. I am so glad I found this site.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/12/08 11:59 am - Baltimore, MD
Hey~ I never found out officially why plain water tends to bother some GBS patients but I can't drink the stuff (and I was an avid water drinker pre-surgery). I have to mix it with Crystal Light or something like that in order to be able to drink it. So far as a journal, have you tried Fit Day (I hope I don't get in trouble for the mention) but it's an online food journal that is searchable and it keeps track of your daily intake of all sorts of things. Very good tool. I can relate to the eating thing. I get wary too. I'm starting to be able to have a little more variety although I am sort of carb-phobic right now so I have been a meat and veggies gal. I have started to dabble in tofu as well.
Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/9/08 12:30 am - Baltimore, MD
Hey, me again. Wanted to share with you what I had for breakfast today. When I plugged it into my food journal it amounted to 16g of protein! Mind you I have to eat it in two sittings but I do get it all in eventually. I call it my "whatever omelette" (because I put whatever I have in the fridge in there) Ingredients: 2 egg whites 1 slice yellow onion, chopped 3 thin stips of green pepper, chopped 1/2 of a small mushroom, chopped 1 low-fat turkey sausage link, chopped 1/8 c. fat free shredded cheddar cheese 4 spinach leaves Directions: 1. Spray frying pan with Pam (I use the Olive Oil kind) and add peppers, onions, mushrooms, and sausage link. Sautee until sausage is fully cooked. Set aside. 2. Cook egg whites, making sure to lift sides with a spatula until all whites have cooked on one side, then flip. 3. While the other side is cooking load up one half of the omelette with the sausage/veggie mixture. Top with raw spinach leaves and shredded cheese then folkd 4. Flip once to make sure both sides are equally cooked and to give the cheese a chance to melt (since it's ff it will take longer to melt) 5. Serve warm Like I said, this is actually two mini-meals for me but my food journal says it's 110 calories and 16 g of protein (mostly from the egg whites, sausage and cheese. Although spinach also has protein. Only 1g in this recipe tho). And it tastes good. So if you can tolerate this, give it a try. I like it because it's normal food which is important to me right now. I'll keep posting stuff as I make it and hopefully you'll find something you like. Nikki
LovieMadison
on 3/9/08 6:27 am - Ehrhardt, SC
Thanks so much!!! I really apprieciate your help here. I will try this for sure. I did try a little stir fry today about three ounces but it tasted so good and its been about 30 minutes with no i'll side affects as of yet. I like you feel like I just have to up this calorie intake. I get most of my calories now from my protein drinks. I mix my protein drink with the 100% pure whey protein powder from wal-mart. I mix it with a banana and skim milk (8 oz) then I add ice and blend it all together. It is delicious! I try to have one like that and then one mixed with water later in the evening so that way I know I have over my 60 grams of protein a day. I would really like it if you can share anything you try and I will also try to do the same and maybe we can get through these months together !! Good luck and God bless you.... Liz
mac409
on 4/11/08 3:31 am
I use sparks to keep up with what I eat and drink every day. It allows you to put in what you eat at each meal and snack and it adds up the protien, calories carbs, calicum and other things. It is really neat, here is the site, look under nutrician. http://www.sparkpeople.com/ It really helps me figure out what to eat and how it all adds up... In the morning I make my protien shake with one scoop of choclate protien and one scoop of unjury non flavored protien made with almond beverage milk and 1/2 a bananna (which I freeze) and 5 large strawberries. (also freeze) I get most of my protien in this one meal. For lunch I eat a slice of soy and flaxseed bread and a slice of turkey, cheese and a little mayo, sometimes I add lettuce or roasted red pepper. Dinner is usually chicken and veggies. Snacks almonds just a small handful and cheese or strawberrie or blackberries. I drink water and whoolong tea. hope this helps
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 650 views
Hello
shaysmom · 0 replies · 783 views
ITS ALMOST TIME!!!!
diamondsparkle08 · 0 replies · 897 views
clogged
CHARO · 1 replies · 900 views