How Much? How Fast?

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/08 9:35 am
Hi - new to OH and need some guidance... I want to lose 100-125 lbs., and the surgeon I consulted has recommended the Lap Band for me. I'm not sure if I can lose that much weight with this approach as all my research thus far indicates that this choice - while being the least invasive and safest - is also the slowest way to lose my weight. Now that I've made the decision, I just want it gone! Rather than keep reading on my own, I thought I'd go to the true experts...those of you who've already crossed this bridget. Anxious to hear your experiences and thoughts! Thanks in advance!
hatda
on 3/26/08 3:09 am - Northern (Sacramento area), CA
I had RNY (gastric bypass) on 1/31. I did alot of research too and had first thought I wanted the lapband becuase it was a less invasive procedure but after speaking to my surgeon he said that the lap is for those needing to lose less weight...under 100lbs. I actually only have about that much to lose,..,...but he said long term, the rny AN DS have better success rate than the band. In my research, RNY or DS is the way to go for more weightloss; as well as keeping it off in the long run. YOu have to do lots of reserach and just do what's best for you. there are people that are very insistant on the surgery they had...but in the long run, make a decision based on what is the best for you. You shoudl have an indepth conversation with you surgeon. FYI...my coworker who started out at well over 300 lbs wanted the band; but becaue of the amount of weight, the surgeon and insurance would only consider RNY or DS...so you may be forced to look at other options if you have 100+ to lose. Good luck to you and say on line with OH....it's been a huge help to me.
(deactivated member)
on 3/26/08 8:56 am
Thank you very much for your reply. It's a huge help...and btw, you look GREAT!
ToniLee
on 3/29/08 12:22 am
Hi I was at a support group meeting the other night and someone brought up the Lap Band, that eventually said they have to remove them, that it doesnt stay permanently, which surprised me. I thought OMG what do they do after they remove it, I had never heard or thought that far in advance about down the road... after the weight loss. I too wanted the lap band in the beginning since I was a self pay and it was alot cheaper. Then the more I read I realized it wasn't for me. So I chose the RNY and even though my loss isnt as fast as I would like, (36.5 pounds so far) I feel very happy about my decision. There is a reason why most insurance companys dont pay for lapbands, but they pay for RNY guess they know something longer term than us? Does the surgeon you consulted do both surgeries? I was at my 6 week check up and a young girl was in there and she had the lapband and her father had the RNY the same day, she had lost 25 pounds and wasnt loosing at all anymore and her father had lost like 75 pounds. That would be so frustrating while they are guessing with her "fills" her father was dropping tons of weight. It was a very eye opening story. No idea if this helps you at all... But good luck, Toni
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 650 views
Hello
shaysmom · 0 replies · 783 views
ITS ALMOST TIME!!!!
diamondsparkle08 · 0 replies · 898 views
clogged
CHARO · 1 replies · 901 views